Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default problem playing MP3s from Garmin 660 on my new 14 RT Limited?

Not sure what is going on. I loaded bunch of MP3 songs on my Garmin 660 and when I put it in the handlebar cradle, set dash to "AUX" and play the songs they play but skip and hesitate badly. If I put it into the rear trunk and plug it in to the rear trunk outlet it plays the MP3 songs fine through AUX? I also play the same Garmin on my Victory Vision and it plays fine. It only skips when plugged into the RT Cradle. Any suggestions or advice?

ED
    2014 RT Limited

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

On the 2013 the cables meet up and plug together on the right side around the start of the passenger seat underneath the tupperware. Possibly your cables are not firmly connected.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by southjerseyrider View Post
    Not sure what is going on. I loaded bunch of MP3 songs on my Garmin 660 and when I put it in the handlebar cradle, set dash to "AUX" and play the songs they play but skip and hesitate badly. If I put it into the rear trunk and plug it in to the rear trunk outlet it plays the MP3 songs fine through AUX? I also play the same Garmin on my Victory Vision and it plays fine. It only skips when plugged into the RT Cradle. Any suggestions or advice?

ED
    2014 RT Limited
    What you found is normal. The GPS input into the radio is not AUX. The GPS is a special input that overrides everything even mute. When it's cutting out is when the sound gets quieter from the GPS and it reverts back to whatever mode it was on. In your case AUX which has nothing on it. Also the input into the radio from the GPS is stereo but for some reason it only come out the speakers as one channel mono. So it just throws the right channel away. So it works great for turn by turn directions but for music it sucks. I and others struggled to get around this and finally gave up and went to the dark side and got an ipod. It's fully controllable from the left handlebar controls and screen.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Billybovine:

Much appreciated. Your explanation makes perfect sense. So if I understand your "dark side" work around, your saying if I get an Ipod and plug it in the trunk, I can then control it via the left handlebar controls and via the "AUX" function on the dash? The cord came in the trunk so all I need is an Ipod.

thanks
    ED

Spyder Garage

Billybovine:

Much appreciated. Your explanation makes perfect sense. So if I understand your "dark side" work around, your saying if I get an Ipod and plug it in the trunk, I can then control it via the left handlebar controls and via the "AUX" function on the dash? The cord came in the trunk so all I need is an Ipod.

thanks
    ED
    When you plug in an ipod AUX changes to IPOD on the display. When you are stopped your playlists and individual songs are all selectable on the Spyders screen. Using the left handlebar controls. When moving it is more restrictive by jumping to the next playlist or song.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

OK, guess I'm getting an Ipod then. Do I need to worry about battery life or does it charge when connected in the trunk?

Spyder Garage

OK, guess I'm getting an Ipod then. Do I need to worry about battery life or does it charge when connected in the trunk?
    Yes it will charge. I put mine in the trunk in the spring and take it out in the fall.

Best to find one with the 30 pin connector. That the cable that came with your Spyder will fit. Newer ipods have a 9 pin connector and you can buy an adapter for one of those. If you're lucky ask your friends and relatives if they have an ipod or old iphone laying in drawer somewhere that they are not using. Buy it cheap.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Question: I have an iPod Touch and we use the Sena Bluetooth headsets. Can we listen to it using Bluetooth connection and control it with left side controls? If I turn the RT volume down, can I still hear it in my headsets?

The Woodlands, Texas and Pipe Creek, Texas
    Spyder Garage

Default Apple Adapter

After following this post and trying a few things on my 2014 RTL, I found that the headphone type cable with the mini plug that came with the bike would not let my iphone 5 show up on the dash in place of the AUX display. Reading about other people's trials, I went to the Apple store and paid the high price for a Lightning to 30 pin adapter. I used the other 30 pin cable that came with the bike, plugged into the 30 pin side of the adapter and then plugged the Lightning end into the phone just like you plug in your phone when you charge it. VOILA!!! Everything works like a charm. Save yourself some headaches and cough up the money for the Apple brand adapter so you can get your display to work properly. Other brands will charge and play music but you will not be able to see any of the music app displayed on your dash screen. One other thing...pull your phone out of its case if you have one on there so the Lightning end will seat onto the phone. I just pulled the bottom of my flexible case towards the back of the phone.

With a new phone on the horizon, I plan to convert my iphone 5 into an ipod and just use it like Billy is saying.