Thread: Slipping clutch

Spyder Garage

Default Slipping clutch

Drove all night from Piedmont,Sd to Butte,MT to help out a buddy. His wife rides an 010 RT SE5 with about 10,000 miles on it. Yesterday that were cruising down the highway and she started to lose speed. It made no bad sounds, just wouldn't maintain speed in any gear. He checked the pil level and it was good, the bike was recently serviced at the dealer including oil change. I trailered it back to their house while they ride 2 up on his BMW. Any ideas?
    Thanks

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GOZFST View Post
    Drove all night from Piedmont,Sd to Butte,MT to help out a buddy. His wife rides an 010 RT SE5 with about 10,000 miles on it. Yesterday that were cruising down the highway and she started to lose speed. It made no bad sounds, just wouldn't maintain speed in any gear. He checked the pil level and it was good, the bike was recently serviced at the dealer including oil change. I trailered it back to their house while they ride 2 up on his BMW. Any ideas?
    Thanks
    What brand oil did the dealer use?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Smell the oil....

burned clutches have a distictive smell, you will know if its burnt. If the clutch is out the engine will be running much faster than the spyder is going. If everything is slowing down we need to look elsewhere. Are there codes or orange screen, messages or lights.?? what type of oil...bad fuel or fuel filter should be checked as well.
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The fact that it's an SE-5 bike, makes checking the condition of the clutches, just about the first thing to be done...
    Due to the engagement system; the rpm levels should be kept up over 3,500 or so, (Some say 4,000) in order to make sure that it is fully engaged. Without knowing if that guideline has been followed or not; it's best to assume that it hasn't...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Clutch update

Get the new clutch update for the rt 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    The fact that it's an SE-5 bike, makes checking the condition of the clutches, just about the first thing to be done...
    Due to the engagement system; the rpm levels should be kept up over 3,500 or so, (Some say 4,000) in order to make sure that it is fully engaged. Without knowing if that guideline has been followed or not; it's best to assume that it hasn't...

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the responses, I dropped the Spyder off after 18 hrs on the road and am out of the state right now, my buddy and his wife are still on the road 2 up on his BMW. To answer the questions as much as I can, I don't know what oil the dealer used, I doubt if my buddy does either, I'll have him check his receipt, but would be surprised if it was listed. He's pretty mechanical so I would assume he smelled the oil for burnt clutch material smell. I was pretty pooped after the drive and it really served no purpose at that point to investigate further. I asked thinking maybe there was a common problem. He knew about the 3500 rpm thing and I believe mentioned it his wife. You can get a report on the rpm range it's been operating at so that will tell it that may have led to the problem.No screen messages that they mentioned. Hopefully it'll get repaired quickly as she really enjoys riding it. Thanks again.
    Last edited by GOZFST; 09-22-2015 at 05:03 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for the update; please keep us posted on any progress.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

If the dealer used an improper oil that would definitely be the reason. The SE5 is very particular about what oil is used. Wrong oil will start slipping pretty quickly after being used.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

They dropped it off at the dealer on Sat, I'll post what they have to say as soon as I find out.