Thread: Tire Qusetion

Spyder Garage

Default Tire Qusetion

I know this is going to spark a lot of input but i have gone to the dark side on every bike i have owned and i know i will be doing it to this one as well so what is the best rear tire for the RT and is there a Michelin tire? ( i love them ) I am always heavy ( too much stuff in the bike ) and now with the hitch installed i will be using my trailer almost all the time. So with all that said whats the best tire ?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good question...
    Unfortunately; there is no good answer.
    A lot depends on what you're doing, how heavy you're loading the bike, and if you're interested in correcting for any perceived speedometer error.
    As for me: I'm currently running a Kumho Ecsta AST in the OEM size.
    On my 2010 RT; I tried a Falken ZE 912. It got pretty squirrelly as the tread wore down on it.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I have a Michelin HydroEdge on my Spyder in the 215-60/R15. It's the best tire
    I ever had. But, it's no more available. You can't pick a Michelin Defender, it's a very good one.

Spyder Garage

"The best"...It's all a matter of opinion....I can tell ya that if ya go with a 215-60-15 that your speedometer will be much more accurate.
    2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Default Pick One - try one..

So with all that said whats the best tire ?[/QUOTE]

Currently running the 225/50/15 Kumho Ecsta AST on the wifes 15 RTS which went on after the OEM Kenda slicked out at 13,000 miles. Running a Michelin Defender 215/60/15 if memory serves on the 2011 RT and getting great wear with over 20,000 miles on it and another 20 to go I think. As others have said, now my speedo matches the GPS speed.

I still feel that the grip on the Michelin is adequate for our riding style, and really like the deep grooves and smooth roll. The big grooves also pick up and hold less gravel which is a peeve of mine on other tires.... Happy with both for the rear tire!
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Pragmatic Member
    Spyder Garage

Just based on input from the hundreds of tire threads I've read on SpyderLovers, I'm tossing the coin between the Michelin Defender and the General Altimax RT43. I've probably got another 8,000 miles before I have to make a decision, so I just keep monitoring these tire treads (pardon the pun)

Pam

Spyder Garage

Default KUMHO

I'm now on my 4th KUMHO AST 225-50 R15... i put my 1st 1 on my RS back in '09... (i think i'm the 1st to mount a KUMHO on a SPYD3R) and i've done a couple X-Country rides and totaled no less than 60,000 miles (of smiles) on this tire, and it has out performed, and out lasted the OEM KENDA by light-years...
    it's all a matter of opinion of course, but for me it's the KUMHO all the way... and i use them up front as well... GO KUMHO.... oh, and
    GO TRUMP....
    DAN P
    SPYD3R F3-S

Spyder Garage

We really like the ride that the General Altimax rt43 gives the Spyder. Much smoother, great grip, accurate speedometer too. Only about 1000 miles on it so far.
    2016 RTS , Pearl White