Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Tire Balance

Quote Originally Posted by AeroPilot View Post
    With 10,000 miles on the OEM Kenda the 15 RTS is ready for a new shoe, and have a Kumho waiting in the wings. Have noticed the 68-70 mph vibration as others have noted usually when loading the belt on an upgrade. I am hesitant to up the tension but willing to tweak it up or down.

First goal is to find a shop with a balance machine that can handle the groove on the wheel rim and get a true spin balance. I have used the Harbor freight static balance stand and Ride-On on one of the 3 rear tires replaced on the 11 RT, but maybe the Firestone shop can help as others have mentioned.

If not--- anyone know where I can get some more stick on weights? I usually recycle the old ones, but notice the rear rim on the 2015 doesn't have any. Could it be that the balance was perfect from the factory? HMMM......
    Try balance beads, they work very well.
    Several places sell them. I have run them and they do stop out of round tires from driving you nuts..........

Spyder Garage

Default Belt vibration problem!

How does a person get BRP's Attention. We paid a lot of money for these bikes, why should we as customers put up with this known problem? Going slower or faster isn't the answer. "Fix The Dam Problem'. BRP has known about this problem for two years. It's not the dealers fault by any means! I have a new 2015 RT limited, I love the machine, but not the vibration. BRP is selling these bikes with a known problem, is it legal to sell a defective product? I know it isn't unsafe to ride, but it is known problem. I was in Sturgis this year, I spoke with a BRP rep. He said they would try to have it fixed by 2016! Great, what about the rest of us??
    Last edited by Sliverfox; 08-17-2015 at 06:31 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default RT vibration

Quote Originally Posted by Pampurrs View Post
    If I were placing a bet, I would put my money on out of balance tires. Have you thought about dynamic balancing? Much better than those stupid weights.

Pam
    Out of balance tires Really is the problem. I was experiencing the same vibration problem at speeds mirrors shake, fenders shake and windshield. I took my RT to a Hunter dealer with a dynamic balance machine and found my wheels were totally out of balance. He took off all the BRP stick on's and started from scratch. The machine is now running perfect.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Vibration at high speeds

I have a 2015 RT Limited with the same vibration problem. At 72 MPH and above it begins to vibrate which is felt mainly through the foot boards. I have not done the experiment you described, but what I have done is (with cruise control on) bump the speed up or down 1-2 mph and the vibration stops until steady speed is reached (when there is no deceleration or acceleration load on the engine or gearbox or belt). Because of this, I thought it WAS an "harmonic issue." The fact that the vibration stopped in your experiment (down shifting to 5th) does not surprise me; the drive train is under an increased load. I see the same thing my just slightly increasing or decreasing the speed. My RT is in the shop now as we speak to find out what the problem is and hopefully fix it. Until then, my riding is limited.

Gpops

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SAMBILLIE View Post
    will a sway bar help?
    With belt vibration?
    No; it won't.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default RT Limited 2015

Definite vibration at 75 - 80 - will have it checked out at next service.

Spyder Garage

Default Tire balancing isn't the fix!

Good idea, but I've been thru the tire balancing, still have the problem. I've been reading other threads concerning this vibration problem, could it be engine performance concerning load on the engine at RPM range ( 3750 to 4000). With this being said I've read that the removal of the cat.converter and installing a good breathing test pipe in it's place seem to get rid of the vibration. Why? Maybe this would cause the engine to be more responsive at different RPM's. I have had the sprockets and the belt changed and adjusted, rear tire balanced, engine realigned, belt tensioner so an God knows what else!, Help!! BRP you need to get to the bottom of this problem
    Last edited by Sliverfox; 08-19-2015 at 11:09 AM.

Spyder Garage

Post The Belt Vibration can be cured by calming down the top of the belt, not the bottom!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sliverfox View Post
    Good idea, but I've been thru the tire balancing, still have the problem. I've been reading other threads concerning this vibration problem, could it be engine performance concerning load on the engine at RPM range ( 3750 to 4000). With this being said I've read that the removal of the cat.converter and installing a good breathing test pipe in it's place seem to get rid of the vibration. Why? Maybe this would cause the engine to be more responsive at different RPM's. I have had the sprockets and the belt changed and adjusted, rear tire balanced, engine realigned, belt tensioner so an God knows what else!, Help!! BRP you need to get to the bottom of this problem
    -------------------------------!
    I reversed the smooth belt tensioner so the tensioner pulley rides on the TOP of the belt (with the smallest pulley Jim has. "Guess what, absolutely" No Vibration". Do what you want, but my 2015 RT is vibration free! Run the small pulley, other wise it may hit your fuel tank with two riding. I know their are new Tensioners being designed to allow for more clearance. People I'm convinced it's the top of the belt that is giving all the problem. Thanks, (BRP pay attention)
    Last edited by Sliverfox; 09-08-2015 at 09:51 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default No vibration here

My 2012 RTS had the vibration but so far my 2014 RTS does not. I have had it up to 90mph.

Spyder Garage

Default 2016 RTS Vibration

Bought brand new last June.I didnt buy the maintenance service contract.... 6 years or 6 services At 3000 miles paid $312 for oil change and 3000 mile service...they signed they did both in operators manual. (60 month extended really 3 years...wont go into that)

I always had slight vibration on handlebars no where else that I noticed. I lived with it...wasn't bad...

at 9661 miles had oil changed last Friday and major checks done, had them sign operators manual that they performed all items under 9300 mile service and they changed a very dirty air filter. $415.00

on way home had vibration like a portable hot water foot massager everywhere. called them when I was in garage getting off bike, taking it back Tues. when you ride a bike you get to know what is normal for your bike....I want to know is this the NEW normal after the checked stuff and tweaked stuff, IF they did...they did something or its a vibration coincidence.......it rides different now.

Misc. Questions
    When you replace a rear tire do you ask them to check the alignment at that time, is not that part of install to make sure tire is running true? just asking, have not replaced tire yet. getting close 9661

about the vibration does the ECM needs tweaking back to where it was IF it was adjusted when it was there for oil change?????
    Have them loosen belt? if they adjusted it, (what bothers me about this is that its all the time, not at a certain speed) I put it in N and its constant consistent vibration even when winding up and down the throttle with foot on brake lol. its not the tires, or belt...its not moving....in N

OR Just
    Tell them its an engine problem and make the running of the engine smoother?

any and all suggestions will be considered, I take her back to dealer Tues. closed on Mondays.
    Last edited by marty1096; 04-16-2017 at 05:51 PM.

Spyder Garage

I read this thread from start to finish, and am surprised that no one has posted the information about the Idler pulley / belt tensioner / vibration dampner that Doc Humphrey's of Roadster Renovations. This is a device that fits on the top of the belt, and will get rid of vibrations you don't even know exists, and is only about $130.00. I took off a Smooth Spyder tensioner that I ran for over a year and was happy with, just to try Doc's device out, and it is now sitting in the drawer of my workbench is interested in it. I had the Smooth Spyder set at 12 pound of pressure per instructions and it did a good enough job until I tried this one. Saw no reason to put it back on. Besides, the new setup only puts about 2 pounds or so of pressure, on the top of the belt, and less pull on the bearings. But I will say, what started this was BRP coming out with an idler pulley for the F3, Doc made an adapter first that used it on an RT. Worked well, but Doc decided he could do better, the BRP unit only had one bearing, Doc's has two. I've been running it now for over 4,000 miles and it still looks like new, my RT rides like I was in an automobile. There are some good posts about it here on SpyderLovers, and on FaceBook.

When my RT was new, I had some belt slap around 3,600 to 4,000 rpm that the Smooth spyder got rid of, but it really just moved it around. I guess I've talked enough, so I'll quit. If you don't believe me, that's ok. I'm not the only one who feels this is the way to go, you do what you want.

David

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you were?

Very Active Member bodymanpainter's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Devious56 View Post
    I read this thread from start to finish, and am surprised that no one has posted the information about the Idler pulley / belt tensioner / vibration dampner that Doc Humphrey's of Roadster Renovations. This is a device that fits on the top of the belt, and will get rid of vibrations you don't even know exists, and is only about $130.00. I took off a Smooth Spyder tensioner that I ran for over a year and was happy with, just to try Doc's device out, and it is now sitting in the drawer of my workbench is interested in it. I had the Smooth Spyder set at 12 pound of pressure per instructions and it did a good enough job until I tried this one. Saw no reason to put it back on. Besides, the new setup only puts about 2 pounds or so of pressure, on the top of the belt, and less pull on the bearings. But I will say, what started this was BRP coming out with an idler pulley for the F3, Doc made an adapter first that used it on an RT. Worked well, but Doc decided he could do better, the BRP unit only had one bearing, Doc's has two. I've been running it now for over 4,000 miles and it still looks like new, my RT rides like I was in an automobile. There are some good posts about it here on SpyderLovers, and on FaceBook.

When my RT was new, I had some belt slap around 3,600 to 4,000 rpm that the Smooth spyder got rid of, but it really just moved it around. I guess I've talked enough, so I'll quit. If you don't believe me, that's ok. I'm not the only one who feels this is the way to go, you do what you want.

David

I have to agree! I just put the BRP idler pulley on my F3-T and it got rid of all belt vibrations at all speeds. Now I may put
    the idler pulley on my RTS even though the vibrations have never been hardly noticeable on it from day one.
    Toby
    2020 RTL

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bodymanpainter View Post
    I have to agree! I just put the BRP idler pulley on my F3-T and it got rid of all belt vibrations at all speeds. Now I may put
    the idler pulley on my RTS even though the vibrations have never been hardly noticeable on it from day one.
    Toby
    Toby, you might want to do a bit more checking before you do this. There has been some instances of the BRP pulley bearings going bad with in a couple of thousand miles. Doc Humphreys setup uses a double bearing roller.

David

Spyder Garage

EXACTLY!
    and another way to decrease or rid the bike of vibration is a good wheel balance AND a Laser Alignment.

AJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    It has been described as a "Harmonic Vibration". Perhaps by dropping a gear, you're just moving the frequencies around enough, that it stops the vibration...
    Last edited by PaladinLV; 04-16-2017 at 06:50 PM.

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by marty1096 View Post
    Bought brand new last June.I didnt buy the maintenance service contract.... 6 years or 6 services At 3000 miles paid $312 for oil change and 3000 mile service...they signed they did both in operators manual. (60 month extended really 3 years...wont go into that)

I always had slight vibration on handlebars no where else that I noticed. I lived with it...wasn't bad...

at 9661 miles had oil changed last Friday and major checks done, had them sign operators manual that they performed all items under 9300 mile service and they changed a very dirty air filter. $415.00

on way home had vibration like a portable hot water foot massager everywhere. called them when I was in garage getting off bike, taking it back Tues. when you ride a bike you get to know what is normal for your bike....I want to know is this the NEW normal after the checked stuff and tweaked stuff, IF they did...they did something or its a vibration coincidence.......it rides different now.

Misc. Questions
    When you replace a rear tire do you ask them to check the alignment at that time, is not that part of install to make sure tire is running true? just asking, have not replaced tire yet. getting close 9661

about the vibration does the ECM needs tweaking back to where it was IF it was adjusted when it was there for oil change?????
    Have them loosen belt? if they adjusted it, (what bothers me about this is that its all the time, not at a certain speed) I put it in N and its constant consistent vibration even when winding up and down the throttle with foot on brake lol. its not the tires, or belt...its not moving....in N

OR Just
    Tell them its an engine problem and make the running of the engine smoother?

any and all suggestions will be considered, I take her back to dealer Tues. closed on Mondays.
    I would not have a Ride Now dealer check your alignment but I wouldn't have them change my oil either.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default Good timing.

Those who know me know I ride a lot. I own a '14 RT-S, I, like many have experienced this vibration. But something slowly started happening. I changed to a General Altimax RT 43 last September 3rd. A was running a Kumho KH 16 before. I like this General. The vibration slowly starting to fade away.
    I was out riding last Thursday and felt, and heard a loud clunk, then another. I had to pull over. I noticed a spot on the drive belt, looked underneath and saw a tooth missing. By the time I rode 14 miles home, half the remaining teeth were gone. Had to have it towed. The tire didn't need changed, it had 28,000 miles on it and I thought it had another 5000, but I had them put another General on. I picked up the bike the next day and they had the old belt laying on the counter. I was amazed how long it was! Right then I thought about the vibration. From the front sprocket to the rear it has to be 3 feet or better. And in my mind I can see the belt fluttering. Some people on this forum have used belt tensioners that put tension on top of the belt. They claim the vibration is either gone or greatly reduced. To my point, the original belt lasted 108,352 miles. With the new belt and rear tire, that vibration was back, bad. My next farkle, belt tensioner. If that cures it, then I'll firmly believe that fluttering is the vibration. If somebody could get a camera down there....
    Buckeye Chuck

Spyder Garage

BRP has nothing to do with it.

ALL vehicles are susceptible to Harmonic Vibration - repeat ALL!
    In larger vehicles you may not hear or feel it, but it is there. It may not happen on all roads but it will on others.
    It's just a matter of physics.
    I one finds it that annoying, get a pulley and be done with it.

AJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Sliverfox View Post
    How does a person get BRP's Attention. We paid a lot of money for these bikes, why should we as customers put up with this known problem? Going slower or faster isn't the answer. "Fix The Dam Problem'. BRP has known about this problem for two years. It's not the dealers fault by any means! I have a new 2015 RT limited, I love the machine, but not the vibration. BRP is selling these bikes with a known problem, is it legal to sell a defective product? I know it isn't unsafe to ride, but it is known problem. I was in Sturgis this year, I spoke with a BRP rep. He said they would try to have it fixed by 2016! Great, what about the rest of us??

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinLV View Post
    BRP has nothing to do with it.

ALL vehicles are susceptible to Harmonic Vibration - repeat ALL!
    In larger vehicles you may not hear or feel it, but it is there. It may not happen on all roads but it will on others.
    It's just a matter of physics.
    I one finds it that annoying, get a pulley and be done with it.

AJ
    Even though they balance the crankshafts when built, they will still put a harmonic balancer on the front of the crank to minimize the vibration. The transfer of power from the engine to the wheels has always been an issue, regardless of driveshaft, chain, or belt.
    The Vibration Damper works.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Humphreys View Post
    The Vibration Damper works.

I added one of Doc's Vibration Dampers this past Winter. As soon as I broke the bike out of storage, fired it up, and got out onto the highway: the difference was apparent!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post

I added one of Doc's Vibration Dampers this past Winter. As soon as I broke the bike out of storage, fired it up, and got out onto the highway: the difference was apparent!
    This is the review I've been waiting to see here. Thanks Bob, I appreciate it.

David

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

When BRP came out with their own damer for the F3 models: I started "getting interested" in the,
    Doc's version has a dual-bearing setup that should be much more reliable!

Very Active Member bodymanpainter's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Devious56 View Post
    Toby, you might want to do a bit more checking before you do this. There has been some instances of the BRP pulley bearings going bad with in a couple of thousand miles. Doc Humphreys setup uses a double bearing roller.

David
    I have heard of that happening and if and when it does I will add Doc's wheel with the double bearings and use the
    BRP bracket. I understand that this will work, if not I will change the whole thing, but for now I just wanted to make
    sure the idler pulley would solve part of my vibration problem. The crappy Kenda front tires are the other part of
    the problem but they are going to be replaced very soon as soon as my other front wheels arrive.
    Toby
    2020 RTL

Spyder Garage

Default vibration

Doc's tensioner was a life saver on my 2014 RTS .The vibration at 70-75 is gone. Couldn't do 670 ml day on the interstate without it

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    I would not have a Ride Now dealer check your alignment but I wouldn't have them change my oil either.
    Which servicer is available in Arizona? open to all answers....

Spyder Garage

This vibration - Are y'all talking about the vibration I feel in my RT when it is under stress, like going up a hill or accelerating, especially with a passenger, or is this something else?

Thanks