Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default I'm finally done with my Spyder

I have had my Spyder for one year and one week and enjoyed it, but the constant little things just go on and on. I can't even remember all of the little things from break master cylinder problems to parking brake problems, and on and on. occasionally got a DESS code error but last night, it just about left us stranded. Here it is, the holiday weekend, and I am afraid to ride it. I hate to say it, but I'm heading to our local Harley Shop to look at trading it for an ultra glide Trike. How sad to have something you enjoy, but you are afraid to ride (I hate walking).

Spyder Garage

Default Sounds like a lemon....

I knew dependability ratings were bad going in....but so far only minor stuff, rear air shock bad, sticking trunk latches, Ect......I was genuinely worried about a computer that has so much control over the unit but so far it has been very beneficial and bug free...

Sounds like you just ended up with a lemon....and I agree, if I owned something I was afraid to ride, it would be gone in a heartbeat!!!! I have a friend with the Harley trike, his dependability hasn' t been the greatest either and he paid a whole lot more....Good luck in your decision, that sucks!

Spyder Garage

When I loose confidence in any vehicle I get rid of it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bscrive View Post
    When I loose confidence in any vehicle I get rid of it.
    While I've had no issues, I'm right there with you. Or, sometimes I just get bored and its time to move on... [emoji57]
    Last edited by DrewNJ; 09-05-2015 at 07:57 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default 2nd 1

i'm on my 2nd SPYD3R, with a total of over 60,000 miles, and i'm here to tell you that i've had NO MAJOR ISSUES....
    TIRES, ya, we all replace those... and on my RS i had to have the SE5 shift module replaced... other than that NOTHING....
    one tid-bit of info i got from my mechanic: these things like to REV... i've spoken to a varied number of SPYD3R owners, and those that shift above 5000 RPM's on a regular basis, have way less issues that those that shift below this number... i'm not saying to ride it like you stole it... but the computer in these things remembers everything, and i'm thinking that low RPM's confuses it....
    jmho
    Dan P
    SPYD3R F3-S

Very Active Member bodymanpainter's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I know how you are feeling as my 2010 RTS was a bad one, it was in the shop most of the time, only
    had it for 4 months. I traded it and waited 4 years to come back to the Spyder. I now have a 2014 RTS
    and have had 0 issues and over 16000 miles and love it.
    Good luck with what ever you do.
    Toby
    2020 RTL

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The most dependable motorcycles I have ever owned ... were GOLDWINGS.. I had a 1985, 2002 & 2005... think my next ride will be another GOLDWING.. along with dependability my 3 GOLDWINGS never visited the dealer after purchasing for any recalls/breakdowns ... ease of service, comfort .. are definitely attributes... rear tire removal is a snap, and changing oil & filter takes all of 10 minutes..

osm

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default me too

I'm getting ready to post my 2012 RT A&C very shortly . I haven't had any major problems. Just a couple of limp modes that cured themselves. A little over 5K on the odometer.

I just don't like it anymore.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPYD3R View Post
    i'm on my 2nd SPYD3R, with a total of over 60,000 miles, and i'm here to tell you that i've had NO MAJOR ISSUES....
    TIRES, ya, we all replace those... and on my RS i had to have the SE5 shift module replaced... other than that NOTHING....
    one tid-bit of info i got from my mechanic: these things like to REV... i've spoken to a varied number of SPYD3R owners, and those that shift above 5000 RPM's on a regular basis, have way less issues that those that shift below this number... i'm not saying to ride it like you stole it... but the computer in these things remembers everything, and i'm thinking that low RPM's confuses it....
    jmho
    Dan P
    SPYD3R F3-S
    Interesting concept.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

So sorry to hear it. I know how you feel. I thought about a trike but try driving one, do not corner like a can am. If you bought your bike new I would contact BRP and see if they will help some way.
    If you switch you might be in worst shape with the sound I love Harley. Go Honda if you want dependable.
    Kenn

Spyder Garage

I totally understand. I lost confidence in my 2013 RT-S with the heat issues. I traded it in for a 2014 RT-S. I took a big hit $$$ but it was either trade it in or sell it.

Spyder Garage

Default Stinks

Totally agree with, "why ride it if you are not comfortable and confident...."
    But if you do decide to sell/trade it, I wonder who would want to purchase it if you inform them of the issues.
    I agree with contacting BRP, if you were the original purchaser. If not, and you bought it used, you may have some recourse as far as the previous owner not disclosing the issues to you when you purchased it.
    Just my 2 cents...
    Last edited by Vader; 09-05-2015 at 10:57 AM.
    IT IS, WHAT IT IS...

Spyder Garage

Sounds like a bad deal all around. Good luck with your decision. If I was to get rid of the Spyder, I would go back to nothing but Honda. Loved the ST1300 we had prior to the Spyder RT.
    2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pkbwv7320 View Post
    I have had my Spyder for one year and one week and enjoyed it, but the constant little things just go on and on. I can't even remember all of the little things from break master cylinder problems to parking brake problems, and on and on. occasionally got a DESS code error but last night, it just about left us stranded. Here it is, the holiday weekend, and I am afraid to ride it. I hate to say it, but I'm heading to our local Harley Shop to look at trading it for an ultra glide Trike. How sad to have something you enjoy, but you are afraid to ride (I hate walking).
    With a guesss, I suspect you got another DESS code and that is what almost left you stranded. Honestly, from what is being posted here BRP seems to be working on a solution.

Sometimes it is worth holding out before tossing in the towel. You seem more angry than hateful to the machine.

BRP should strive for higher marks and if needed use Honda as a benchmark.

FWIW, I so want the tools to disable the DESS and other stuff. First time we get stuck my money is the wife tells me fix it, regardless of reasonable cost.

All the best whatever you roll on.

PK

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Spyder Man View Post
    The most dependable motorcycles I have ever owned ... were GOLDWINGS.. I had a 1985, 2002 & 2005... think my next ride will be another GOLDWING.. along with dependability my 3 GOLDWINGS never visited the dealer after purchasing for any recalls/breakdowns ... ease of service, comfort .. are definitely attributes... rear tire removal is a snap, and changing oil & filter takes all of 10 minutes..

osm
    My wife has the Goldwing 1800 Motor Trike, inherited from her late father...that thing is up to 50k with no issues! Unbelievable, but is from 2009 since she's had it and only thing done was a couple of oil changes. Honda's are just that good, period!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Since your mind appears to be made up; I'll just wish you the best of luck with your next ride!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear you are planning on parting company with your

You may have got a lemon. Sometimes, but not always, you may have a dealer that does not know what they are doing. Any specific reports about yours? That can make for one problem after another as every time they get into it, they may screw something else up.

My signature shows that I have owned five. Currently have two, and total mileage on the packages over 125,000. No major issues here. I have a good dealer that services mine when needed.

I do agree, if you are afraid to drive it, then its time to dump it. I do hope you find a ride that gives you confidence and satisfies what riding is all about. Good luck my friend.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default What Spyder ?

I've heard about issues with some models/ years. Just wondering where your's came from,
    the mileage when you got it, what model it is, ANY DETAIL.would be appreciated.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Keep us posted on your decision.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kay View Post
    My wife has the Goldwing 1800 Motor Trike, inherited from her late father...that thing is up to 50k with no issues! Unbelievable, but is from 2009 since she's had it and only thing done was a couple of oil changes. Honda's are just that good, period!
    I put 59,000 on my 2010 RT with very minimal problems and I have 58,500 on my 2014 RT with no problems. I've changed oil, brake pads and tires on my 2014, kind of sounds like your wife's Honda.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Sorry to hear..!!

As you have made your decision there is not much to say. You didn't ask for opinions it's more of a farewell. I really hope your next ride will be trouble free and you have a great time with it. You will keep us posted and send on pictures of your new ride and adventures...
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default rts 2014 too

[
    I likewise have the rts 2014 it had no problems with it whatsoever I have almost seven thousand miles on it I'm very satisfied with it David

QUOTE=bodymanpainter;1032604]I know how you are feeling as my 2010 RTS was a bad one, it was in the shop most of the time, only
    had it for 4 months. I traded it and waited 4 years to come back to the Spyder. I now have a 2014 RTS
    and have had 0 issues and over 16000 miles and love it.
    Good luck with what ever you do.
    Toby[/QUOTE]