Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DPS issues

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Yes, but it you had just left the key in the ignition and turned it back on the code would likely have been gone then also.
    I tried it both ways. The code stayed unless the key was removed and walked away from the bike at least 35 feet for a couple of minutes.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Turn the key on and off 3 times quickly. It should clear the codes.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Humphreys View Post
    I tried it both ways. The code stayed unless the key was removed and walked away from the bike at least 35 feet for a couple of minutes.
    The DESS does not look for the key when the ignition is turned off. Just think about it why should it. The only time the DESS sends out an electromagnetic pulse is just after the ignition switch is turned on. That powers up the transponder chip and it responds by transmitting a code. At all other times it is inactive and does nothing. It's only purpose is stop the Spyder from being started without the correct key.

Transponder range is about an inch or less. Any farther than that the electromagnetic pulse from the antenna coil around the ignition switch is not strong enough to power the transponder chip in the key. It does not contain a battery. Also the signal it transmits back to the antenna is so weak because it does not have a battery restricts the range.

Here is an old video I made demonstrating the range of the key.
    Last edited by billybovine; 08-30-2015 at 04:25 PM.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If the bike is turned off the system has no idea where the key is. It does not monitor for a key when shut down. Also, the range for the key is about an inch, maybe even less. Try having a non chipped key made and see how close you have to have the chipped key before things will work.
    All taking the key out and walking around with it does is make you look silly.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    If the bike is turned off the system has no idea where the key is. It does not monitor for a key when shut down. Also, the range for the key is about an inch, maybe even less. Try having a non chipped key made and see how close you have to have the chipped key before things will work.
    All taking the key out and walking around with it does is make you look silly.

+100

What I think happens, like the whine you hear for 20 minutes is after the key is turned off, there is a period of time the codes are kept active and then after that time they get stored so only BUDs can pull them after that. So taking the key out does nothing but waiting a period of time does. This is why the myth seems real to people.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    +100

What I think happens, like the whine you hear for 20 minutes is after the key is turned off, there is a period of time the codes are kept active and then after that time they get stored so only BUDs can pull them after that. So taking the key out does nothing but waiting a period of time does. This is why the myth seems real to people.

Bob
    That may be, Bob. If the code is a hard code it shouldn't reset. That's why I am wondering if it's something to do with the ignition being turned off. It has never quit while the bike was running. Not one time. It does not repeat after the bike has sat for a while with the key out. It only occurs when you start the bike a short time after stopping.
    I read a thread on here some time ago that it was not a good idea to leave the key in the ignition for some reason. I'll see if I can find it....

Pragmatic Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Humphreys View Post
    That may be, Bob. If the code is a hard code it shouldn't reset. That's why I am wondering if it's something to do with the ignition being turned off. It has never quit while the bike was running. Not one time. It does not repeat after the bike has sat for a while with the key out. It only occurs when you start the bike a short time after stopping.
    I read a thread on here some time ago that it was not a good idea to leave the key in the ignition for some reason. I'll see if I can find it....
    I'd be interested to see that thread. I leave the key in the ignition all the time when the Spyderis parked in the garage. I've done that with all my bikes, but then I've never had one with a D.E.S.S. nor one so computer reliant.

Thanks,

Pam

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You all really need to use more common sense and think about it, don't worry about some old forum wives tale. When the bike is shut off and the ecu completely powers down it has no idea where the key is. It's off, it doesn't care. It's only after the system is powered back up that it goes through the authentication process.

There is a serious DESS problem with some of the newer machines. It has nothing to do with leaving the key anywhere. That is just silly. BRP needs to get it straightened out.

Spyder Garage

You all really need to use more common sense and think about it, don't worry about some old forum wives tale. When the bike is shut off and the ecu completely powers down it has no idea where the key is. It's off, it doesn't care. It's only after the system is powered back up that it goes through the authentication process.

There is a serious DESS problem with some of the newer machines. It has nothing to do with leaving the key anywhere. That is just silly. BRP needs to get it straightened out.

Suffice to say, I'm about ready to buy an MPI-2, software and license to turn off the DESS.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default DESS MYTHS

Drew and Billy .......would you like to venture a GUESS as to why BRP is telling people with this issue to keep there SECOND key away from the Spyder while riding and also CELL phones .......I find BRP theory on this ......interesting ..........Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Drew and Billy .......would you like to venture a GUESS as to why BRP is telling people with this issue to keep there SECOND key away from the Spyder while riding and also CELL phones .......I find BRP theory on this ......interesting ..........Mike
    As far as I know BRP has never said any such thing. There has been a story or two about moron tech thinking this is a problem but never from BRP.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default DESS - MYTHS

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    As far as I know BRP has never said any such thing. There has been a story or two about moron tech thinking this is a problem but never from BRP.
    A member here Deanna777+, reported getting an E-mail advising Her of the Cell phone & proximity of second Key thing......So I'll have to research it or maybe She can clear it up....................Thanks .......Mike .......... ..............................Added info.....Her post about this was on the very lengthy thread " D.E.S.S. CODE AGAIN !!!!!!!!!!!! ".....Pg. 3 ---- post # 64 ( sorry I can't do a Link )
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 08-31-2015 at 09:36 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I could likely buy a "second key" theory causing issues.....maybe. But even then, the actual range of the signal is SO short...
    I'm still betting they have some other programming/software issue...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    A member here Deanna777+, reported getting an E-mail advising Her of the Cell phone & proximity of second Key thing......So I'll have to research it or maybe She can clear it up....................Thanks .......Mike
    Sure that makes sense a cell phone has more than enough power to interfere with the key if it was very close. I would guess it would have to be mounted right beside the ignition switch to cause a problem. A key fob for your cage maybe. The type that only has to be in your pocket to be able to start your car. I would think operates in the same frequency range and is a lot more powerful because it has a battery. It would have to be on the same key ring as your Spyder key, I would think, to cause a problem.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have now rode the bike about a half-dozen times and the problem has not occurred. I have both rode it short distances and longer distances of up to 100 miles. I have made sure to pull the key each time if I am stopping and shutting down. I am thinking that if the DPS unit was failing it will still show up regardless of what I was doing. Time will tell.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Try having a non chipped key made and see how close you have to have the chipped key before things will work.
    I did this...
    They actually need to be touching. The range is that short...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I did this...
    They actually need to be touching. The range is that short...
    So that right there disproves the "remove the key and walk 35ft theory".....