Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Building a trailer?

I'm planning to build a trailer for my RTs. My thoughts are welded Al frame and axle with steel stub axles w/as light a spring set and hubs as I can get. 10" wheels and tires. I'll mount a high quality roof top carrier. I should be able to keep the weight just over 120 lbs...maybe less. Should make a pretty good looking rig. Now, how to find a suitable carrier. The 18 cubic foot SportRack SR7095 @ $199 looks pretty good, but I have no idea of how robust it's built without seeing one. I have most of the frame and trailer parts on hand
    already and while I did pay for them at some point, (years ago) they are just setting on the shelf right now. Might as well put them to good use.
    Think I'll build the hitch also. Wish I had a BRP one to look at...hate to re-invent the wheel.
    Quinton

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Loots of good info out there on doing it.

Here is one source.

http://pbmotorcycletrailer.com/how-t...look-homemade/

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Banged Up Member
    Spyder Garage

You might want to talk to Tom a/k/a 2ndChildhood. He built one for his RT and it was super nice. If I know Tom, he would/will be more than happy to share his knowledge and experience.

Chris

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SailnDive View Post
    I'm planning to build a trailer for my RTs. My thoughts are welded Al frame and axle with steel stub axles w/as light a spring set and hubs as I can get. 10" wheels and tires. I'll mount a high quality roof top carrier. I should be able to keep the weight just over 120 lbs...maybe less. Should make a pretty good looking rig. Now, how to find a suitable carrier. The 18 cubic foot SportRack SR7095 @ $199 looks pretty good, but I have no idea of how robust it's built without seeing one. I have most of the frame and trailer parts on hand
    already and while I did pay for them at some point, (years ago) they are just setting on the shelf right now. Might as well put them to good use.
    Think I'll build the hitch also. Wish I had a BRP one to look at...hate to re-invent the wheel.
    Quinton
    Send a pm to Mike( Blueknight911) for some suggestions, he built one. Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights
    Marinco 12Volt Power Receptacle with polarized leads & slide lock
    Show chrome Trunk Shock

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

only thing i would suggest is going with larger wheels

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Remember...
    We're gonna need to see pictures of the glorious results!!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

Sounds like a Super D.I.Y. project ! and, with BRP trailer prices being what they are, why not !
    Post on the project as you go.

Spyder Garage

??? Yesterday you were selling your Spyder because of the computers.Didn,t like the way it cornered.Now are you going to keep it?Not trying to be a smart ass here.Hope your getting more use to it.
    Bill
    Good luck on the trailer and show the pics
    2018 RT Anniversary , Brake pedal extended

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

He still isn't happy with the computers: check Dee's thread about her DESS problems...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default DIY TRAILER

using a surplus 16 ft. boat trailer, i converted it into a SPYD3R trailer...
    i also use it for my JOHN DEERE and a couple pallet loads of red bricks and other DYI projects at home...
    if you decide to build a similar unit, remember that when towing an RT, to remove the windshield... i never had an issue with the RS because the windshield was on a few inches toll...

dp
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you can weld aluminum you should be able to make a VERY nice light weight trailer that would pull very nicely behind the spyder. If I were a trailer pulling kind of rider aluminum would be my choice. A triton aluminum jetski trailer would make for a very nice starting platform.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default weight saver

Me and a few others here have used the Sears X-Cargo roof top carrier....holds 18.5 cu ft. and weighs about 10 lbs......I see them at garage sales all the time ...I even salvaged one that was being thrown out.............I had mine up to about 85 MPH and no problems...As someone else mentioned here already ...forget the 10 inch wheels you arn;t saving much weight by going to 12 inch....it's the hubs that are heavy....get 4 bolt they are slightly smaller..........Also get a " C " or better rated tire ...it's worth it.....also use all LED's ......they won't upset the " Nanny ".........good luck, I luv a DIY'er.............Mike

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Not sure I would bother welding up a frame...

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...2543_200612543

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'd run the smallest diameter wheels I could mount up. Keep it as low as possible without sacrificing width. Load/weight when choosing wheels is a non-issue. We're talking about what? 500lbs total when loaded including the trailer??

Doing an aluminum frame and you could likely have the entire trailer rig at well under 150lbs unloaded.
    Last edited by DrewNJ; 08-15-2015 at 09:04 AM.

Spyder Garage

I've been searching the web for car top carriers and they all seem really light weight. I'd like to find one a little more robust that also looks good. As long as I use good tires, I can't think that the size would matter. i.e. Smaller = better. I have had bad luck with regular trailer tires and chose 10" because I think it is the smallest car tire available. The lightest spring that I keep on hand is a 3 leaf 1500lb, so I'll see if I can buy a light weight single leaf or maybe just disassemble the 3 leafs. That would still be pretty stiff. Welding Al. (or any other metal for that matter) is no problem with my equipment. Retired welding instructors always have a shop full of welding gear.
    Getting the raw materials is a 70 mile round trip tho' Just a part of living in the beautiful hills of West Virginia. It was easier when I lived close to 10 refineries in south Texas. There was not a mechanical part or material that you could not find in Texas City, Texas. Not so in Weston, WV.
    I hate to try and build a carrier, lots of work and not very pretty. Suggestions?
    Last edited by SailnDive; 08-16-2015 at 09:32 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default trailer

I would go with larger wheels.
    Small wheel/tire = more revolutions = more heat = more potential bearing problems.

Spyder Garage

I was going to build a trailer but changed my mind. The axles I was looking at were 425 lbs half axles, adjustable height. That way I could make the trailer low to the ground no matter the size of the wheels.

http://www.southwestwheel.com/store/...ion-axles.aspx

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    I was going to build a trailer but changed my mind. The axles I was looking at were 425 lbs half axles, adjustable height. That way I could make the trailer low to the ground no matter the size of the wheels.

http://www.southwestwheel.com/store/...ion-axles.aspx
    This is a good way to do it...but very expensive.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SailnDive View Post
    This is a good way to do it...but very expensive.
    A complete conventional leaf spring axle. I don't think you could find for less than $200.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Torsion axles are the way to go for a nice smooth ride. Overall it's a balance between bulding a nice durable trailer but not having it weigh as much as tank.
    Good Luck!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Default Here is the trailer I put together

Here is my trailer project. Used a Harbor Freight Tool trailer kit. I used the 1000# rated kit because it has 12" wheels. I had already had the car top carrier and had adapted the box to a Thule roof rack and used it on many cars and vans over the years. So not having deep pockets I have now adapted this setup to the trailer. I used 1 1/2" angle and 3/4" angle to create the profile of a rain gutter for the roof rack feet to attach. Small blocks of 3/4" square stock are to support the 3/4" angle. Found a company to Power Coat the rails for around $50.00 also they did the frame for the cooler rack for $25.00.

It has worked out that the gap between the trailer bed and the car top box is a great place to put tent and folding chairs.

The trailer is rated for much heaver loads that I would use for motorcycle towing. To soften the trailer I removed some of the leafs from the springs. This seems to be working out fine.

Here are some pictures of my finished trailer.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Chris Gammack
    You don't know what I don't know. I don't know what you don't know. All I can say is at my age what I don't know is huge.
    I call the Avatar "The first fifteen feet."

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    A complete conventional leaf spring axle. I don't think you could find for less than $200.
    Actually $78 plus shipping for spindles, hubs and springs. I'll use a 1 1/2" aluminum sch 40 pipe for the axle with the stub axles machined to fit and bolted in. Also drill out the big end of the stub axle to 1/4" wall to remove excess weight. I already have all of these parts on hand...so it makes the decision easy. I've build several sand sailor using this method and these are parts left over from that project.

Spyder Garage

Hey JC, thanks for your post. That looks like a pretty sturdy carrier and about what I'm looking for. I have not seen that one on my internet search so far. Amazon has several listed but the one I liked got really bad reviews.

Spyder Garage

Default Might I suggest

Great DIY do it right become a vendor. I had looked into as well & found newer torsion axel. Found here http://www.possibilitieswithdisabilities.com. Might be handy for keeping small & light. (No leaf springs!)
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post
    Great DIY do it right become a vendor. I had looked into as well & found newer torsion axel. Found here http://www.possibilitieswithdisabilities.com. Might be handy for keeping small & light. (No leaf springs!)
    The box they use would work great for me. But I can not find just the box for sale and their completed trailer is $1200. That's why I want to build my own.