Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Can-Am License

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mygirlpb View Post
    Hey !!! New to the forum - new Spyder owner.....New cycle "driver"....always a "rider"......Would love to find a course where I could learn about the bike and get my motorcycle endorsement license....I have my permit and have been "practicing" on rural roads......does anyone know of such a course in NC ?
    I have not been able to find a three wheel course readily available in NC. Only information I could dig up was outdated.

Take the regular MSF course from your local community college. That will free you from having to take the road test for your permanent motorcycle endorsement and will get you a break on your insurance rate.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

I can definitely see a new F3 parked next to the RT.
    2013 RT Limited
    Tucson, AZ

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gkamer View Post
    Depending on what you're riding you may or may not need a special endorsement.

If you have a… You…
    2-wheel motorcycle or scooter that:
    • Is larger than 50cc
    • or
    • Can go faster than 30 mph
    Need a 2-wheel endorsement
    2-wheel motorcycle or scooter that:
    • Is 50cc or smaller
    • and
    • Has a maximum speed of 30 mph
    Don’t need an endorsement
    2-wheel motorcycle or scooter with a stabilizing conversion kit installed. Need a 3-wheel endorsement
    Motorcycle with a sidecar Need a 3-wheel endorsement
    3-wheel trike Need a 3-wheel endorsement
    3-wheel vehicle with a seating area, safety belts, and a steering wheel Don’t need an endorsement
    Like Greg said, you need a separate 3 wheel endorsement in WA. Having ridden two wheelers for years, after buying a Spyder this week I understand why they want a separate endorsement. To me it is more like riding a quad than a motorcycle.
    they offer trike classes at Westside Motorsports and Lone Wolf Harley Davidson in Spokane.

Spyder Garage

Default superb

I took this course, and it was superb. Sidecars big and small, a trike and a couple Spyders. Pretty cheap, too.

http://evergreenmotorcycletraining.o...ecar-training/

Rained like crazy one of the days I went, though!

Last edited by sidecars; 08-08-2015 at 01:06 AM.

Spyder Garage

In NJ, if you have an MC license you can drive a three-wheeler. If you don't, you can get a three-wheel restricted license. My wife as no intention of riding two wheels so she took the two-day MSF three-wheel course and has the three-wheel endorsement. The two-day length is the same as folks getting a two-wheel license. Neither means your a now done learning.... just safe enough to get on the road and start learning.

I have no idea why one should need to have an MC license for a couple years before riding a three wheeler. I think some would argue the reverse if anything.
    2012 RT-SE5

Lancaster PA transplant (Southern born and bred)
    Spyder Garage

Default PA has one

PA offers the class; I take mine in 2 weeks. We also have the two motorcycle license types (M and M3).

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Please let us know the content of the Pennsylvania course; once you've got it tucked under your belt.
    Good Luck!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default This may be a stupid question but......

If someone lives in a state where an endorsement is not required would they have to get an endorsement to ryde through states that require one?

2011 Spyder RT Limited (Artie)

Spyder Garage

Even if I wanted to I could not take a course on motorcycle riding. We just don't have it here. Not even for car driving. I see 1,000s of people on motorcycles of all types and they do ok, nothing fabulous but they do ok overall. I have seen very few if any accidents. It is mostly cars. Sure in an ideal world this would be the best scenario all together but what about in my situation? I have ridden now for about 1400 miles on my new Spyder and have not had a mishap (and hope never to have one) I have rode in heavy traffic (sorta like NY City driving) and on easy rural roads which I prefer. I watch alot of videos and try and learn any way I can. Do I know it all, NOPE I don't, am I learning and becoming more proficient, YES! Mexico City is no piece of cake!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LoveMyRyde View Post
    If someone lives in a state where an endorsement is not required would they have to get an endorsement to ryde through states that require one?
    Although I'm certainly NOT a legal expert; I believe not.
    There are agreements of reciprocity between all of the States. As you as you comply with requirements in your own; you're good to go, in all of the others!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Not sure if this has been brought up but most motorcyclists who have been riding safely for any length of time have developed situational awareness and street skills which allow them to avoid distracted cage drivers. A motorcycle course or trike course won't install these habits. As I recall, most motorcycle fatalities other than those that are alcohol related happen in the first year of riding. Consider that many of the deaths were kids with lightening reflexes who had a good grasp of how to operate a bike BUT had not developed the sixth sense that allowed them to sniff out impending danger. I worry that so many folks with a bit of disposable income are buying Spyders (and 2 wheel bikes as well) for the first time and have spent many years behind the wheel of a cage learning how to text, shave, read the paper and generally let their mind go vacant rather than learn a little caution (fear) from riding a motorcycle on the street. I doubt many of the folks will have much trouble learning how to drive a Spyder with a single linked brake pedal and a paddle semi-auto shifter. No balancing skills are needed and the controls are fairly intuitive if you are a long time cage driver. Where the lack comes in is the sixth sense needed to keep from being tee-boned... maybe I shouldn't call it Spydie Sense but all you new riders; welcome to the road but please be aware that the cagers out there require you to think for them!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Courses will get you "legal"...
    Time spent in the saddle; makes you smarter!