Quote Originally Posted by MRH View Post
(All my opinion about how I would look at this if it were me and this was my decision to make about my finances.)

I am glad that you have the funds to buy the bike, but if the cost would largely wipe you out then you have to ask yourself if it is really affordable to you. If you needed that 25K in an emergency, then you would be left with a bike and payment and the potential of an additional loss if the bike were sold. I don't know, and it isn't my business to know, how much is in your account in addition to that 25K, but I do think that number is a key factor in your decision.

The answer to your question is "interest".

The bank, who is very good at managing money and assessing risk and return, thinks that it's better to loan you money with interest and receive that interest rather than investing it elsewhere. I would personally think that it would be to my advantage to avoid the risk that my money in the bank will either grow at a slower rate than the interest I am paying, or loose money in the process. I'm assuming, of course, that my money is in something that has a reasonable rate of return, which means that it is also at risk.

I would probably do the numbers on the total amount of interest you will be paying, as it will likely add thousands of dollars to the cost of the Spyder over a four or five year loan, and given the life of these machines I can't see taking a loan that would go on beyond the number of years the manufacturer feels that it can safely sell you a warranty for.

I completely get that you may see this differently, and I appreciate you considering this from a different point of view.
I respect all opinions. I have more than 25k in the bank.....but just don't feel like tying up that much $$$$ in a bike.

My guess would be that most people that have boats, cars, etc over the $25k range have a loan. Maybe people you know have that type of money laying around.

Also, people put things that cost a lot less on credit. Look at all the people who use credit in Best Buy for TVs, etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD