Well I did it. I did my first long ride. Started here in Kansas. Drove through Missouri, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Virginia, West Virginia, and Maryland. 2991 Miles total on my 2014 Spyder RTS. Left on a Monday morning and returned the following Monday around noon. I learned a lot about my spyder, myself, and trips on a cycle. I would do it again!!

Since this is a Spyder forum I will share what I learned about it first. I learned it does close to perfect on highway speeds for long periods of time. Felt great. Handled great. I do think i want to get some highway pegs. Even going through the mountains I would set the cruise and it stuck right to it. The engine breaking was amazing. Never had to touch the breaks on the declines. I have an Ultimate seat and my bottom was well taken care of for the whole trip. No issues. I don't know about gas milage. I didn't buy it for gas milage and I don't check it. Only thing that needed done on my return was give the Spyder a much needed bath. 3000 miles of rain and road and it was pretty dirty. She cleaned up nicely.

I learned that I love 5 hour energy drinks. They help me to stay sharp. I did 400 - 800 miles every day I rode. Other then some rain the weather wasn't to bad. Never got to hot or to cold. I think that helped me on those longer days. I usually stopped for gas and to stretch some at around 130 miles. My breaks were pretty short. I learned I am not the type who wants to stop and smell the roses on these types of rides. I like to put in the miles and would probably prefer to ride with like minded riders. I tried some more curvy slower paced roads once and the trip and I didn't care for it. I kept thinking that I could be making much better time on different roads. So I adjusted the GPS and within a half hour it had me doing 70 again. I don't mind driving 45-55 but just not on a long trip.

As far as riding on a trip like this I packed to much. Didn't need half the cloths I packed. Next time I will go much lighter. Good rain gear and a good helmet are worth the money. Spend a little extra because it will pay off. I did and I am glad I did. I will try and post some photos soon. Seen some beautiful country. I had never been out that way before and I have been missing out. The Appellation Mountains are beautiful.

I have been home for a little over 30 hours and I am already thinking how I am going to get back on the road again.

Scott