Perhaps a bit long winded, but some history first:

ATVs and UTVs are toys for most folks – not counting the farmers/ranchers (as I used to be), who require them for daily tools – replacing a lot of tractor usage. They take up valuable shop space, and are probably used under 15 days a year, for most.

I have been an active ATV enthusiast almost as long as I have been a motorcycle enthusiast. I started riding them in 1972, before Honda introduced its first 90 – with the 5/10/30hp Dune Cycles. When Honda introduced the 90, we had one. Then there were the 125, 185, 185S, 200, 250R – all trikes. With the Feds stepping in to determine that we weren’t smart enough to be safe with our toys (perhaps some truth to that, with what I’ve seen over the years), there were the 250R, CanAm 650, Banshee, Raptor, Pilots, Ranchers, Grizzlies, Wolverines, Rhinos, and lately the 700XX (with a few VW Dune Buggies tossed in here & there).

Comparing today’s US$, I should expect to pay $3,360 for my ATC125s, or $8,123 for my 1989 Pilots in today’s market (pretty close to the asking price for a used Pilot these days). All below the typical $10K threshold of pain. In fact, the 2008 700XX was used less than 50 hrs, and was picked up for $3,200 – with inflation, that was only $2,880 in 2008 dollars.

I still subscribe to the UTV and ATV magazines, like I still subscribe to the better motorcycle magazines – my latest UTV magazine arrived yesterday. Low and behold, CanAm’s latest and greatest Maverick carries a sticker of $22,700!! More than the cost of a new F3, and over $4,000 more than I paid for my RT. I was stunned – but perhaps this is perspective – or not – your thoughts?

Is it really the cost of all the new stuff – power steering, FI, Turbos, etc., or is it the value of our dollar?????? Based on inflation, our dollar today is worth less, taking $5.67 to buy $1.00 of 1976 goods. Using that as a guide, my 1972 T120 Bonneville was $1995 out the door, or $11,312 in 2014 dollars, and a 2015 Bonneville actually carries a $8,100 MSRP – or a $1,490 1972 price tag. Given that the new Bonnie is heads and shoulders superior to the 1972 version (it really is) – the new bike is a much better value than the older bike. So where’s the cost basis for the new toys? What is making a new RT WORTH $30,000? Or a new UTV WORTH $23K – well over $30K with farkles????

The industry is lamenting the poor market – is there any wonder? Perhaps it’s just my age showing… but it sure keeps my checkbook out of the showroom these days.