Threaded View

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by StanProff View Post
    Seems as though the Spyder and the Slingshot are being compared like they are the same type of vehicle. The only similarities are three wheels and it carries 2 passengers and it looks like the price point is in the same range.
    And that's the market for most people interested in buying a sporty recreational vehicle.

I do not believe it will be pulling from the motorcycle market and if so only very little as in a novelty appliance. I like the Slingshot, I love motorcycles, I like to ride not drive. If I want to drive I will take the car.
    And that is my point: the Spyder RS was not pulling from the motorcycle market.

That market either wanted a sportbike (and bought them instead) because A) two wheels are what they wanted, or B) they'd be open to three wheels, but the Spyder (unfairly, but unarguably) carried too much of a stigma with their peers, **or** they wanted a fast toy. The Slingshot won't do any better than the Spyder RS did in getting sportbikers off of two wheels, but it will definitely get the "look cool in a fast toy" crowd to look twice at it, especially now that BRP isn't making a direct sporty trike competitor.

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    My take exactly. The Slingshot will have a market just like the T-Rex. But people who buy one are not very interested in a Spyder in the 1st place, and Vice-Versa.
    With all due respect my good friend Ron, the T-Rex never had a market because the thing cost $50 freakin' thousand dollars. Polaris is genius for coming in at the $20K price point, which while still pricey, is within the realm of possibility for many weekend joyriders.

Again, stepping outside of the Spyderlovers bubble:

"I've never ridden motorcycles, I've only driven a car, I want a unique sporty open-air experience. I could buy a Spyder-- and learn how to ride that, buy all the gear, etc. AND risk being made fun of by a majority of bikers who think I'm too scared to ride two-wheels. Or, I could buy the Slingshot which is a lot like my car, comes with a seat belt, easily brings along a passenger for my Saturday joyride, *and* doesn't carry the stigma the Spyder has with all the cool kids-- and boy, do I ever want to be cool."

"Hmmm... oh, wait, what was that? Can-Am doesn't make a sporty Spyder any longer? Well then, I guess BRP made my decision for me, time for the test drive at the Polaris dealer!"

At the T-Rex prices, that conversation would NEVER happen. At $20K, however, I imagine that conversation is going to go on in a lot more people's heads than all my esteemed SL colleagues expect.
    Last edited by daveinva; 08-19-2014 at 11:55 AM.