Hi all,
Does anyone know what training is required for a dealer mechanic to work on Spyders? The dealer where I purchasd my 08 SM5 is a large multi brand cycle dealer who took on the Spyder line. I have the discinction (not a good thing) of being his first Spyder customer although another was sold that same week. He also now has three more on the show room floor. I have been reading all the excellent information provided by all of you. As a result I have purchased a belt tensioning gage, and spare relay. I went to the dealer to get precautionary exhaust gaskets but they did not have any in stock (they did have the new part number come up on their screen). I also tried to get an oil filter but they had zero in stock. I had a hand full of service bulletins including the one where BRP said wrong filters were sent to dealers and improperly identified on the box. The dealer was unaware. We talked for a while and they had absolutely no knowledge of any issues with the Spyder and no clue regarding the horrendous number of shifting problems and power steering issues being experienced primarily by electric shift units. They were not aware of any issues nor were they aware of any other service bulletins. When my Spyder was delivered the horn did not work and I found the spade leads were not attached at the horn. It left the factory that way and also passed the dealer pre delivery check. One would think pressing the horn button would be a logical test. My front tires had 55 lbs pressure in each. The rear was OK and that is probably because it is almost impossible to check. So - back to my original question - I wonder if dealers are required to get factory training and if so how extensive the training may be? I also wonder what happens at most dealers regarding receiving and actually reading service bulletins so they have a basic awareness regarding issues. Can it be that the only knowledge they gain is that found by trial and error when a machine comes into their shop.
Would you want to be the first to take your new toy into service when the service dept appears to be unaware? I have always done all my own work except warranty repair work on my vehicles over the years but am concerned about being a shop Spyder ginny pig if heaven forbid I should encounter a warranty issue. I think I need a Spyder shrink to talk me through this!