Thread: SpyderGirl...

Threaded View

Mod Maniac
    Spyder Garage

Default SpyderGirl...

... I just saw your post about your electrical system problems. Sorry but I don't post on the other forum for reasons of my own.

First, let me say that I run dual 55w running lights (110 w total), radar detector and GPS, in addition to, at times, heated grips and the Corbin heated seat. I have had extended runs where all have been on at the same time.

I have never had charging problems although I suspect I will be "overdrawn" with one or two more mods.

Second, part of the info on the other site was incorrect. The Spyder has a magneto/rectifier charging system, not an alternator. Some bikes, like Valks and Goldwings (and others, I'm sure), do indeed have alternators. Not ours.

The Spyder magneto's rated output (per the book) is 500 watts (about 40 amps) at 6,000 rpm. As a comparison, the current Goldwing's alternator output is well over 1,000 watts... better than some cars and more than double the Spyder's output... particularly in the low RPM ranges. Those are really suitable for loading up the electronic goodies... our's - not so much so.

I'd say one of two things is happening:
    1. Your RPMs are consistently too low to support your electrical load; or
    2. The stereo amplifier is drawing much more than you think.

I have guessed before that we have about 200w to "play" with. But, that's all it is... my guess.

My $0.02. Disconnect the stereo... to check.

Last edited by ataDude; 01-25-2009 at 05:06 PM.