Thread: Giving up.

Threaded View

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Giving up.

I can tell from the posts that I am not the only one unhappy with the handling of my Spyder. I ride a 2011 RT. I have tried all the advice on the threads plus the advice given by my local dealer. I now have a bit over 1,300 miles and would not ride this thing for more than 50 miles. I have tried putting the fronts to 25 PSI and then taking freeway runs... lowering the PSI 1 lb. at a time down to 13 PSI. Not acceptable yet. The rear is at 28 and the rear suspension is at 25. The front shocks are stock and set to 5. I can't bring myself to lay out even more money for Elkas or a new torsion bar.

I have been riding motorcycles since I was 14. I have been riding 4-wheelers for the last 15 years both on and off road. I thought this machine was dangerous in the beginning but on advice read here, I have kept at it, hoping I (or it) would get better. On a perfectly calm day, the ride is nice. It is rarely dead calm around here. I am scared to death to go past a semi as a sudden gust of wind will move me over 2 feet. I am not sure there is anything wrong with the Spyder as I can sometimes let loose of the bars and it tracks straight. For winds, I've tried riding with the windshield up and all the way down. Not much difference.

I am used to getting on, cranking the stereo and riding for 4-500 miles. On the Spyder I am exhausted after 40-50 miles. Yes, I am "relaxing" and holding lightly. Yes I am letting the bike have it's own way. But in the wind, it whips me back and forth in the seat and occasionally the front feels like it is digging into the pavement. IMHO, this thing is dangerous. I am aware of posts that others track well. I've complained to the shop and they tell me it is "fine." If this is what qualifies as"fine," I'm gonna sell it for $50 and buy another Goldwing. I don't have any hair to pull out but wish I did. I know there have been other posts like this one, so just add this one to the pile. Good luck and happy riding to all.
    Last edited by Shaku; 07-31-2011 at 04:48 PM.