I just thought some of would care to know where I have been . . .

It was a sunny day in October -- the 13th -- and I had my dealer change out the steering doohickey under the BRP recall. It did not take them long -- as they had done a few and had it down to a routine.

I had taken the day out of work -- so I decided to do my favorite thing and spend the rest of the day just ryding my Spyder.

I remember leaving the dealer around 10:00 or 10:30 or so . . . Around 4:00 or so I have this fuzzy recollection of seeing a bicycle in front of me. Next I was lying on the ground and some folks were asking me if I was OK. My response was that I was fine -- and I really did think I was OK -- but time would tell otherwise. At that point I had no idea of how bad off I was. The folks that gathered were smart enough to tell me not to try to move. When the first EMT arrived, he apprised me of a bit of detail. He told me that I had a compound fracture of the right radius at the wrist along with a severe dislocation of the right shoulder. I later learned about the myriad areas of road rash an that my right leg appeared to have been hyper-extended. I also learned more details of the accident. I had been traveling in the right lane of route 1 -- a 4 lane highway -- in York Maine. A 16 year-old on a bike tried to cross the highway and realized that he could not make it across once he was in front of me. He ended up with a broken ankle.

I was in various hospitals and rehab centers from 10/13 thru 12/22. I am now home. I have been receiving therapy for my arm and leg. At this time my neurologist (nerve doctor) indicates that I am unlikely to regain the use of my right upper arm and shoulder and might regain use of my forearm, hand and fingers.

This eliminates my ability to ryde my Spyder unless there is a way to ryde with just my left hand -- perhaps by replacing the handlebars with a tiller-like bar. Truth is, after the repairs (~$10,000) are done it will be for sale at my dealer.

It was a wonderful 15,000 miles . . .