Threaded View

Spyder Garage

Default Helmet review: Can-Am ST 1 Hybrid vs Nolan Trilogy N43

Nolan Trilogy N43 & Can-am Hybrid ST 1 Helmets

First off let me state that I have both helmets but I have worn them for different lengths

of time. Thus as this is being written I am still in the evaluation stage of the Can-am

helmet. When I got my RTS at the end of January the Can-am Helmet was scheduled

for release in March of 2010, it eventually arrived for those that pre ordered in late

May. I needed to protect my head before that and did allot of research. I did not want

to purchase a temporary helmet, since I don't have a temporary head .

This is the only one I was born with!

So with that being said I will be continuing my evaluation of these in part two

and part three of this evaluation.

I have owned the Nolan Helmet since the beginning of the year.

I am taking a trip this weekend with my wife to Big Bear and Lake Arrowhead California.

We will be bringing both helmets and using the intercom and blue-tooth capabilities

in the same environment to evaluate along with our impressions of sound, clarity and

communication. (and anything else you can suggest.)

My experience may be different than yours and I am encourage to hear

your opinions, insight, and experience so that others that
    are looking for

a helmet to use to tour with may find this thread beneficial
    in their own

search for comfort and safety.

The reason that I chose this type of helmet was because of the versatility it

offered in just about every type of circumstance of weather and riding circumstance..

When Nolan advertises a 6 in one helmet it truly is. If you want full face with shield

down or sun visor at the touch of a button or you wanna remove the face shield

altogether you can with the tools provided. In fact if you don't wanna have the chin

guard (although I never ride without it) you can easily detach it. Probably the

best exclusive feature for the Nolan Trilogy is the quick release chin buckle. Better

than any on the market. I called up Nolan USA to see if could purchase the buckle

from them separately to place on my Can-am Hybrid ST1 communication helmet and

the answer was, "no!" So I did some investigation and came up with the "Echo

quick release", that is easily attachable and for under $10, makes the

Hybrid helmet a very tough choice as to which one to ride with.

But more about this later..........

My previous helmet experience is very limited, as I only had a Simpson car helmet

that i purchased a bit too snug. And when I went to purchase it I went to the store

and tried on many different versions.

In my attempt to get the right helmet for my experience most important was visibility

(looking out of the helmet) too many of the full face modular helmets although they

provide max protection limit what can be seen out of the peripheral vision. And I thought

this was extremely important as i will be the first line of pro active defense in ryding.

Next was comfort. I mean if you are gonna be wearing these helmets for any extended

length of time, you don't wanna have to be concerned with neck fatigue or an irritation on

your ears checks etc. Both models were very comfortable in different ways.

more about that later......

so for now I leave you with pictures and more comment and evaluation in the up coming

presentations of my two favorite helmets for long range/short range touring.

The up coming evaluations and reviews

will discuss All the options : Blue-tooth

vs wired vs the options offered ; radio, cell

phone, ipod, talking back and forth with

passenger. don't miss out !

Oh and did I mention CB

and we will get into the nitty gritty of it all so bring your

questions,

for the experts of this forum to answer.

There is so much to know and consider in your purchase

of the most impotant item to protect your nogin.

Last edited by TicketBait; 04-03-2011 at 02:08 PM. Reason: re select photos