Quote Originally Posted by dltang View Post
As many times as I have driven through St Louis and Cuba on my way to Tulsa, I have always taken I-69 down. Not a bad route, just make sure you go around Indianapolis, not through it. Usually going the north loop is better but check for construction before you go. We may still go that way as well, nothing is definite yet. I know I dread the southern side of Chicago and going through Gary, IN for traffic but we are going to try to time it so we don't hit rush hour. I have never taken that route to St. Louis so we thought we would do it just to switch it up a bit. Also, it all depends on if I get my room for a penny or not. I am a Red Roof Inn member and they are having a special but you have to catch the hotel at a certain hour and time to see if they have a room available for a penny. I will be trying various locations and that could determine our route. I know it is silly but hey, if we can save $50 it is well worth it. It will be good to see you there. When are you leaving? Are you driving alone?

I was going over possible routes with a good friend that lived in Chicago for 15 years and still drives that way a lot and she said while it may be 'quicker', it's more stress due to the traffic. Best time to go through that area is around 2:00am.

On my way back I might take that way and try and save some time since it's going to be a loooooong day. I'm taking her I-pass just in case....

I'm leaving Thursday after work-- not sure exactly when. Going to get 3 hours in and then stay somewhere. Going to play it kind of loose on the way down.