Quote Originally Posted by sabunim5 View Post
"We're hoping some of this will resolve a lingering idle variation problem. "

I'm sorry to say that I had both updates and they did not cure the idle variation problem. At first I thought so, but as I got more miles I noticed my Spyder still did it. It has never been an all the time thing, but often enough that I worried about my inexperienced wife driving the Spyder. For an experienced rider it is only a minor irritation, not a real danger. For a rookie however, high idle can be problematic. I think my Spyder and Nancy's had the same problem. The idle wants to wander in the 1700 rpm range rather than the 1400 rpm range. It will eventually calm down to the 1400 "normal" range, but it takes way longer to do it than it should to get there.
Nancy's has been unpredictable, except that it is worse after a hot start. Idle hangs from 1,800-3,700 rpm! Averages about 2,200 rpm. I worry about her, too, under those conditions. I even worry about me, sometimes. It may vary a bit, but will not return to 1,400 rpm until completely stopped. My suspicion is an electronic problem, but I am hopeful that this will at least make it less severe. Need some miles to find out. Hope you get your steering sorted out soon. Isn't it the pits to live in a state without a lemon law that includes motorcycles?