Threaded View

Spyder Garage

Unhappy Need advice/ideas on Installing Quadlock Post Mount on 2015 Spyder RT

I want to get rid of the Zumo base on the central column and install a QuadLock Post Mount for my iPhone 15.

https://www.quadlockcase.ca/products...40320815792203

I took out the two bottom bolts by spraying with WD40, which broke the Loctite grip.

The post mount for Quadlock is 8mm and the post for the steering wheel is 10mm and an inch longer. I took the Loctite off the Quadlock post and then added two sleeves to make the post 10mm.

Then I realized it's probably not long enough or strong enough to be used as a steering bolt.

I put the bolts back and tightened them, then took the bike on a short ride, but the steering felt 'loose'.

Part B: Removing the Garmin Zumo base:

I took everything apart at the steering wheel (bottom bolts only) and took off the mounting plate for the Zumo, along with the plastic side mount holders. Then I realized I can't just cut the wire, as it's still wired to the battery. So I unzipped the frunk liner and removed the bolt for the ground terminal, but there are 3 black leads (One I believe is a second connection for a heated vest or suit and is capped off) but I don't know what the other two are for.

I went to take the right side-panel off, and surprise, surprise, I need yet another socket head (hex with center hole). And a plastic pry tool, which I now have.

Questions:
    1. Can I remove the Zumo mount without taking the side panel off?
    2. I can't get the ground battery terminal screw to engage and tighten to put everything back the way it was. What is the trick?
    3. Can someone confirm the QuadLock post with the expansion sleeves on is a no-go for that spot?
    4. Should I put Loctite on the stainless bolts before reinstalling them, even if I want to be able to take one out again, to make the bike safe to ride?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-28-2024 at 07:28 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question/s... ;-)