I just saw a post on Reddit of a guy being hit on an MC from behind while slowing for traffic lights and it reminded me of my intention to post this.

A few weeks ago I was away for a weeks holiday with my wife on the coast. An event happened that has me questioning the types of ear plugs I will wear while riding if ever.

We were on the only road into a small coastal town (Yamba NSW ) and traffic ahead was stopped. I stopped about 2 car lengths away from the car in front, and the vehicle behind (a lady in very small car) stopped back from us about two car lengths. I didn't have plugs in. I always check my mirrors when in this situation every few seconds. I heard a screech of tyres then a bang, I began to watch for signs of what was happening behind and another screech and bang, then the 3rd. I had begun to look at my exit point options and the 4th could be heard. I elected to move forward into the empty on-coming lane I heard the 5th, and as I stopped a Tradesmans Ute loaded with building gear is on two wheels and has crossed where we were originally stopped and speared into the body of water on the edge of the road.

Had I not heard the commotion behind us and moved when it was developing, we may have been hit by the Ute. There was no verge on the sides of the road, just the rock like structure and water (like a breakwall with a road on top) and the only space available was the oncoming lane which luckily was empty. It shook us both but my wife took it hard later - it really shook her up but she got back on the bike because she saw how I reacted and felt my habit of watching the traffic behind made her feel safer.

I had worn Pinlock Ear plugs and liked them for the fact some sound gets in. As I lost all four a mate gave me some industrial ones that leave only the slightest amount of sound in. I was about to adopt the industrial ones for the "quietness", but not any more.

Anyone have an opinion they want to share?

The lady in the small car - in the remotest chance you are on this forum or someone you know is, we can not thank you enough. I know your car was a write-off and thanks to you we came out unscathed.