Threaded View

Spyder Garage

Default What to do with this Transmission shifting dilemma?

2016 Spyder RT-S. After 3 front sprocket failures which were finally rectified Jan 2023 under factory warranty, I have now come up against a real head scratcher. Sort of confusing but I’ll try and get it detailed as it happened.

Cruising at 70mph on the freeway when the Spyder seemed to just downshift, and the engine started lugging big time. Disengaged cruise control and backed off on the throttle at the same time. With a lugging engine, I got off the freeway while trying shift to a different gear setting. No help. Shutdown and called for a tow to the shop.

After the shop looked it over, they said they couldn’t replicate the problem. Picked the bike up the next day and rode it home (a short distance). Went for ride the next day and after about 15 minutes into the ride the downshift problem re-occurred. Pulled off to the roadside. Shutdown the engine while mulling over my next move. After about 5 minutes or so, I turned the ignition back on and noticed the gear shift indicator shift from 5th down into neutral on its own. Selected 1st and got back on the road.

Got to the next stop light indicating 1st gear and after a minute, with a green light, I added throttle with no effect. The Spyder just sat there. The Engine revved ok, but no go. Shutdown and pushed it clear of the traffic with no difficulty. It rolled freely with no problems. Waited a few more minutes. Then I turned the Ignition on with the same down shift indications. Selected 1st again with no problem, started out until next the stoplight where the same thing happened again. I limped home under these conditions.

After the bike cooled off completely, I was able to get it to the shop again (about 3 miles away). They looked it over and said no computer codes were being shown about the problem. They diagnosed it as a potential shift shaft problem after checking their records for others with similar problem. Here's the problem: That part is not available anywhere in the BRP system until Jan 2024!!! I even checked that out after contacting BRP directly for assistance. No help.

I suspect an electrical problem vice mechanical as I was able to push the Spyder without any difficulty at all, especially after a “cooling off” period where everything seemed to go back to normal until the engine got hot again. Should mention that I live in Las Vegas, NV where temps are hot? These problems began in June of this year, where temps were a bit above normal - 100 degrees+.

This post is extensive, but I needed to try and get a feel for the problem. What to do?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-28-2023 at 01:42 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)
    Semper Fidelis