Threaded View

Spyder Garage

Default 13/16 spark plug socket for lugs?

Since I started removing my lugs on my spyder, I have always used my 3/8 drive snapon deep 13/16 sparkplug socket with the rubber insert. Due to the rubber insert, you get about 3/4 inch of grip since there’s about about 3/8 of rounded nubs on the end of the lugs. My cousin in NC just pulled the trigger on a new spyder on the 23rd. We talked yesterday for a bit on the phone and he was asking about what tools are needed. Gave him a list of the primaries. He’s a Mac guy. He asked why he couldn’t use his deep impact and I explained that there’s no clearance, needed standard chrome 3/8 drive or 1-1/16 external diameter to fit. He has a set of standard chrome deep sockets and both 21 and 13/16 so he’s good to go. I said use the 13/16 better fit. I told him to join this forum but said I’d find out this answer first. When “I” push the sparkplug socket in, the end of the lug pushes into my rubber as I spin out the nut. The rubber in my opinion would stop any marring of the end. I care less about the sides since you can’t see them anyway only the ends. I always impact out but finger tighten in and torque wrench in. If using a standard chrome deep socket, even using ziplock bag over the end wouldn’t that mar up the ends since most deep sockets are only 7/8 deep of hex? Does anyone use standard 13/16 deep socket or only sparkplug?
    Last edited by Wmoater; 12-26-2021 at 08:53 AM.

“Born to Ride......Ride to Live....MOATER ON !
    “Current ride: 2017 RT Limited”