Threaded View

Spyder Garage

Update on suspension setup with new M2 shocks. Set the ground clearance height at 4.25" using the frame as a reference point. I used a point 2" in front of the imaginary line between the two front wheels similar to an alignment. This put the front trunk height at 5 7/8", no more scraping of the front trunk. Can drop this to a 4" ground clearance height and still meet the OEM ground clearance requirement. Softened the rebound damping as well. Road test indicated that the Spyder leaned over more than when the damping was spot on, no overshoot. Have adjusted the rebound damping back to the initial setting and will road test tomorrow to determine if the lean angle feel has been reduced.

After this road test going to reduce the ground clearance to 4", measure front trunk clearance and road test. Shock preload will reduce from the 2.2 cm preload that is now being used. Don't expect a lot of ride quality and performance difference, but it will be a road test point.

Did an initial report on the install and ride quality/performance for Marcus at M2 shocks. He read the report and phoned - good customer service. I asked if he provided shocks for both the F3 and RT Spyders and he does, but he has not done an install in his shop with the RT model. This is something he is working on.

We had a good discussion about the M2 shocks as received and what I hope to accomplish as I go forward. I mentioned that the preload is at 2.2 cm. He mentioned that he would prefer to have the preload at a max of 10 mm, but this will entail a shock spring rate change. I had already thought about this and a 300/350 spring rate should do the trick. I would expect a preload of approximately 1.5 with a 300 pound spring rate, and a 1.0 cm preload with the 350 pound spring rate, these are estimates. Want to minimize preload and further reduce the feel of the Spyder in corners/curves, especially when riding two-up. Will make up my mind on the one to use, thinking the 300 pound spring rate will be sufficient and not be overpowering, into fine tuning at this point.

Took the OEM shock apart, have thoughts on what I might do with it similar to h0grider did with his. Keep for a time in the future when may need to have the M2 shock(s) serviced. Took a measurement of the shock shaft travel, only 2 inches available. Standard thought on travel is to use 30/35 percent of travel in setting up ride height. These percentages would only leave approximately 1 3/8" for suspension travel. Would need to use a spring rate similar to what h0grider used - 600 pound. Not a lot of wiggle room.

Attached two pics of the OEM shock. The other attachments are of the M2 shock install.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "When Writing the Story of Your Life, Don’t Let Anyone Else Hold the Pen"
    "Too many of us are not living our dreams because we are living our fears.” – Les Brown

2014 Can-Am Spyder RT LE
    1985 Honda GL1200 Goldwing Limited Edition

Ernest