Threaded View

Spyder Garage

Default DPS Problems, We Can No Longer Ignore "The Elephant In The Living Room"

As you all know I LOVE our Spyder's and I even have a new RT and trailer on order. I have been, and continue to be a loyal BRP customer and supporter. I continually showing that support not only with my words, but with my hard earned money as well.

I as well as NMN also have a vested interest in seeing the Spyder's do well and continue to grow market share.

BUT.....

I think we and BRP can no longer "ignore the elephant in the living room" when it comes to the Spyder having too many, and some "real problems" with the DPS system on this bike.

There are now just too many people we know about (and many I'm sure don't even know what a "forum" is) who have had some sort of "real issue" with the power steering on their Spyder to continue just say it is just the "luck of the draw" and failures do happen sometimes.

I myself had one of the Spyder's that was delivered to me with a totally non-functioning power steering unit, which gave me no warning codes and no "heads up" that there was something wrong until I could do my own "side by side" test with our SE5 in Sept. of last year.

It was then I saw just how bad our SM5 really was. Thankfully, it caused no operation problems with my Spyder in the 10 months prior. But, it still is not a good feeling knowing that a major system like the DPS was delivered to me by the dealer totally non-functioning! That it required me to be able to do my "own diagnosis" that there was a problem. This on a machine that is touted to have all these wonderful "self check programs" and even a "limp home" safety mode. It won't let me ride with a burned out brake light, but let me drive around for 10 months with a non-functioning DPS unit?

Again, this week there was another potential buyer posting here about how it is becoming "known" that the Spyder is having too many problems for many people to want to risk "their limited riding time" and their "hard earned money' buying one. With most of these concerns centering around the DPS, and shifting problems.

I was there this past week and saw first hand the failure Lamonster's Spyder had when his DPS died in Daytona. Although he said "it was not too bad at highway speeds" the effort it took to steer his bike when I sat on it was down right freighting!

I think now with so many people having had, and reporting problems both before and after the update, that something is just not right here. GOD FORBID that someone gets hurt on one now! Hopefully this won't happen, but if it does there are now just too many "verified cases" of steering system problems for BRP to be able to dodge a HUGE liability lawsuit. There have just been too many "verified problems" with the steering on this bike to continue to ignore that it really could be BRP's fault if someone gets hurt from this point forward.

I know as a product manufacturer, that even "rumors" regarding "safety issues" can rune a products image and salability. Unfortunately I think that is now starting to happen to the Spyder's as these 'rumors" are starting to seep into the mainstream buyers mind in the market, and we are now seeing it effect their buying decisions.

Like I said, hopefully no one will pay the ultimate price and have a failure cause them to get hurt, costing BRP many dollars with lawsuits and such. However, I think the potential loss in sales and product image could be costing BRP more than that already?

I think it is time some "real hard questions" are both asked of, and answered by BRP regarding the short comings in the DPS system on these bikes.

Thankfully, most of the failures have been more along the lines like mine was and only be owner annoyances, and not caused most people any harm. But, I think if they keep "ignoring the elephant in the living room" sooner or later it is going to cause a real problem.

My fear is that just like most things involving something as big an "elephant" when it happens, it will indeed be HUGE problem.

MM
    Last edited by Magic Man; 10-22-2009 at 05:57 AM.