Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
Most OEMs and oil companies would disagree with you as would oil analysis results upon which the recommendations are based. Time does matter. Combustion products cause acids to form over time. These do damage to metals.
Time with miles. NOT time w/o miles!

Acids form due to COMBUSTION byproducts. An engine simply sitting, obviously not running does NOT built up acids! So If your oil change interval is 10,000 miles, and you put 2,000 miles per year on it, you need to change after 5 years. This is plain and simple, an easy to understand basic truism.

I had an RV that must have had a bad oil ring. It took a quart of oil every 500 miles. The normal oil change interval was 5,000 miles for 10 quarts of oil. This meant every 5,000 miles it got 10 quarts of FRESH oil. Consequently, I NEVER changed the oil!!! I simply changed the filter every 5,000 miles.

There is NOTHING unique about my method. Some big rig trucks do the same; they have an oil reservoir, and periodically they dump a certain amount of oil into the fuel system for burning, add fresh oil, and oil is literally NEVER changed! Just periodically filters are changed.

BTW: With my big rig Volvo truck (which REQUIRED 20,000 mile oil changes w/conventional oil), once I went 130,000 miles w/o a single oil change! I accomplished this using a high quality synthetic oil, periodic oil analysis & changing the three (3) oil filters every 30,000 miles.

My Volvo truck had over 1,000,000 miles when I sold it.