Just got the lab results back for the oil I changed out a couple of weeks ago. They give me the green checkmark!

The oil I use is Amsoil 10w-40 Metric Motorcycle oil. I ran this oil for 10,719 miles with about 2/3 quart added at something like 8000 miles. I made one goof in the sample gathering. It wasn't until I had drained the oil and collected the sample that I saw the note on the submittal form that said to draw the sample within 30 minutes of shutting down the engine. I caught the oil as it was draining from the clutch cover drain, but I had not run the engine at all since putting the bike to bed last fall. I included a note about this on the submittal but the lab report makes no mention of this so I'm guessing not running the engine just before collecting the sample did not have a material effect on the results.

Much of the discussion here centers on the viscosity of the oil after a few thousand miles. It's interesting to note the lab reports the viscosity of my sample as 13.0 cST @ 100C. Compare that to the Amsoil tech data below where they list the new oil viscosity as 14.2 cST @ 100C.

Oil Analysis 001.jpg

Enlarged copy of diagnosis section.

Oil Analysis 001 diagnosis.jpg

Amsoil tech spec

Amsoil tech specs.jpg

Let the comments begin!!