What is a Spider? Why do we so few on the road?

Recently, I had the opportunity to travel to Florida for some biking in the sun, not the snow. A Harley Trike was my mount for that stay. (No rental CanAms’ nearby). I will pen a comparison between the Harley Trike and the CanAm Spider that I have enjoyed for over 38,000 miles during the past two years, at a later time. For now I would like to explore and invite comments concerning just “what is a CanAm Spider”. “Where are they”?

As all Spiders riders know, this fun machine is a conversation starter wherever it parks. It attracts like a bikini on a beach. Trying to convey the Spider riding experience briefly is a challenge that all Spider riders enjoy.

First of all, lets just say that a Harley Trike is a Harley with three wheels with all of the same shakes, rattles and oils. They look and sound like a Harley and the riders believe in the “Hog” cult. They are a motorcycle with three wheels usually driven by former Harley owners. Amen

A Spider is not a made-over motorcycle. It is a new creation, a recreational vehicle that’s all about fun, safety and comfort. If those were the goals of the manufacturer then they hit a homerun, and we the riders have fun running the bases. However, the Spider web site states: The Can-Am Spider ("Spider") is a three-wheeled motorcycle manufactured by Bombardier Recreational Products. When I describe my STE Limited, I usually start with “it’s a no-top sports car with three wheels”. I never use the “M” word. You can ride a Spider without greasy jeans and boots. As a Spider rider you can dine at fine restaurants, enjoy a refreshing drink from a glass not a bottle and wear sneakers while riding without attracting a sneer.

Lets look at the components that that make for a happy recreational riding experience:

Comfort: Hey, when riding a Spider you just have to sit there and point her around the corners. No clutch to pull. No hand brakes. No holding up 900 pounds when you stop, You don’t even have to hold up your favorite squeeze if riding with you.
You just sit there and enjoy the day, Now that’s easy, That’s fun.
Safety: Three wheels hugging the ground. Two in front with the drive wheel in the rear. Three wheel ABS brakes, Effortless paddle shifting and cruise control. It also has a reverse gear, which is extremely helpful in maneuvering in and out of parking spaces.
Also plenty of storage space. Room for everything. The front trunk (frunk) comes standard with every Spider and more cargo capacity is easily attached.
Hey, I could get into this.

So why do we see so few Spiders on the road?

Price: Used, Many enter a new recreational sport by renting or purchasing a vehicle to see if it is for them. There are very few rental dealers for Spiders in the US. This prevents a “try before you buy” experience. Also used Spiders hold their price which is good for the owner but hinders entry-level ownership.
Price new: CanAm does not have an entry level Spider priced to allow young families to enjoy the Spider experience. Dealers offer little or no “deals” on new Spiders. Even on leftover models BRP offers little support.
Dealers: With a limited dealer network and the requirement for all work to be completed by a dealer or voiding of the warranty many are reluctant to travel for service or pay shipping for repairs or maintenance. Competent bike or RV shops could complete many of these jobs. Also many dealers have a “take it or leave it” attitude when scheduling requires service. It also seems that BRP is often less than vigorous when supporting Spider Warranties.

As our population matures, the quest for new recreational experiences increases. Also, I know I will burn in “bikers Hell” for saying that A Spider is a great fun vehicle for women to enjoy driving. “OH NO it’s a woman’s’ bike”. Real men don’t ride “girly” bikes. In my book, real men ride whatever they enjoy not just what the “gang” likes!

While riding in Florida recently, coming towards me on the other side of the road was a group of about 20 Spiders out for a fun group ride. My first thought was “this group looks like a roller coaster ride from Disney Land”. How did they spell FUN? SPIDER.

We who ride Spiders experience the fun of ownership. How do we spread the word?