Thread: Rear shock info

Threaded View

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default SPRING COMPRESSOR

Quote Originally Posted by Warlock View Post
    Have either thought about the ratchets or either build a spring compressor. Going to do some measuring and will try and replace both springs if I can get them. Will probably be a while before I try this. Might order a new shock and new springs. Got time to think about it and come up with a plan. Can't see $600 for the cheapest aftermarket one. I am (was) a chief mechanic on a drill ship so I like to do stuff like this. Retired so will up date if and when I decide to go this route. Again thanks for all the info.
    David
    I've worked on the poor OEM suspension system .... but my solutions only involve the front set-up ( shock angle change ) .... doing something like that is not viable for the rear ..... However I got some very good input from a Mtc Shock expert ( He worked with Ohlins ) .... By compressing the springs, you are losing how much they are able to compress because the device takes up space .... If carried it to the extreme you will end up with a Harley Hard Tail - ie. no spring to compress.... The compression device will make the ride harsher .... For what you want, I would look at a better SINGLE Spring. The DOUBLE spring ( with the donut separator ) set-up takes up the space between the coils....... I believe BRP moved away from their own Pre-load device ( which was on earlier Spyders ) because when people used them , they discovered the ride did get stiffer, but the ride also became Harsher ..... There are usually trade-offs ....... I did what BRP did in 2013 , they changed the Angle of the front shock/spring, which kept the nice ride feel but FIRMED it up for the twistie's ..... I just increased the change. I was willing to do a bit of trimming on the plastic to accommodate the angle change ....BRP wasn't willing to do that because it would require them to change the molds for the two plastic parts ..... It was about the money for them ..... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 02-07-2018 at 11:43 AM.