Threaded View

Spyder Garage

Default Installing Your F3 Belt Idler Pulley - Mike Mas

Hey guys - thought I would share a few images and comments with regard to installing the Can Am Idler pulley on the F3-S&T models.

Regretfully, BRP failed to install the Idler Pulley - on the F3 models resulting in a terrible and annoying vibration once the bike reaches speeds of 40 mph plus. Rather than BRP issue a recall to have the Idler pulley installed under warranty, they simply allowed the owners to to pay for their mistake and let us purchase the Idler and have the responsibility of paying our dealer to install it. I purchased my Idler Pulley from my dealer, they sell for around $35 plus shipping.

For those who wish to install the idler themselves - the procedure is straight forward and takes a little over an hour. The pulley will install on two supplied bolts that are presently holding a cross member which is located by the rear passenger foot peg. Basically you’ll just need to get access to the bolts, remove them and use the same hardware to mount the pulley to the bike.

Its important to note the pulley is spring loaded, therefore you’ll need to temporally jam a spacer between the pulley lever and the mounting base so when you release it, the pulley will remain perpendicular to the mounting bracket. This will allow you to easily lay the pulley in position and tighten the two bolts - Also use the edge of the frame as a guide so the pulley will be angled correctly with the belt. Once its tightened, be certain to remove your spacer so the pulley is free to contact the belt with its own tension.

To install the pulley you will need to remove the two left hand panels, the forward panel is held in with two hex heads in the front and two in the rear. You’ll also have to remove the plastic push pins under the removal access door on the left.

In order to remove the rear smaller panel, its best to remove the seat - this is accomplished by pushing in and turning the ignition key to remove the passenger seat - next remove the two 10mm bolts that retain the front seat, this will allow the smaller panel to lift up and dis-engage from the top retainer.

Remove the two cross member bolts with a 1/2” / 13mm socket with a short extension. Next, simply lightly tighten the same bolts through the Idler mounting bracket back in the same perma-nuts - alien the idler properly and tighten. Reassemble the panels & seat in the reverse order. I wish you guys a nice smooth ride! I have included some images below!

Regards -Mike Mas

Last edited by IdleUp; 12-20-2016 at 10:04 PM.
    Military Drone Designer & Pilot
    www.rotory.com