Howdy from Texas .... my signature pic is in need of update, so do not pay attention to it. The following question applies to:
  • 2016 RT Limited (Intense Red Pearl)
  • BRP branded CB installed as part of the purchase (had one on my 2012RT and it worked well).
  • Custom Dynamics High Mount Tail Light
  • SpyderPops Mirror LED Turn Signals
  • SpyderPops Rear LEDs for Run, Brake, Turn

Here is what happens -- the CB just quits working; well, not really there is just nothing coming through the headset.
  • Start off on a ride, and it works okay for the first 5 or 10 miles (until the bike warms up).
  • Then, suddenly, hubby starts transmitting and I hear nothing (no RX on the display either).
  • Sometimes, I can get one more transmission OUT to him saying, can't hear you anymore (most times not). The TX is lit on the display when I do this and I can hear my voice in the headset speakers, I have it set so I get a slight amount of voice feedback.
  • What tells me there is something really wrong with either this CB, the entertainment harness, or the install is this:
    • When I slowly lower the squelch to the point where RX is constant on the display, there is NOTHING in the headset speakers. Doing this also cuts off the music, since the CB is "receiving," but I should hear noise in the headset and I hear nothing. Have swapped headsets for a known good set from my 2012RT.

Note that this has been a problem from the day the CB was installed; it is only recently that we felt we had enough data to say the problem is on the Spyder and not my husbands Indian with a J & M CB. I also had a month long delay due to a family emergency, so we did not actually get to report this to the dealer until AFTER the above LEDs were installed.

Well, guess what? BRP says to unhook the LEDs .... ummm, no ... we told you this was a problem from the start and doing so doesn't show why once the bike is warm the CB quits -- they are not related (at least I don't think so).

So, I have two questions:
  1. For the CB experts out there, do you think I have a bad CB, entertainment harness, or install? How can I check?
  2. Does anyone else have this combination of LEDs and a CB installed (or something similar? I had the HMT with turn signals on my 2012, so I am pretty well convinced the LEDs are not the problem.

All input and ideas appreciated -- I did do a brief search but did not come up with LED and CB in the same post.

All the best .... Ann