Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Sena SM-10, Does it work?????

I have a 2 week old 2015 RT-S Special Series. I just moved to it from a 2011 RS, so having a radio seems pretty cool. I want to get the radio into our helmets. We currently have a SENA SMH-10 bluetooth setup in our helmets and very happy with it. What I am wondering is if I get the SENA SM-10 bluetooth transmitter and hook it to the bike with the 1/8 cable in the trunk, will they talk to each other. According to the website it will work. I would rather hear from someone who has it. If you do have the setup, is there any tricks or problems you ran into before you got it working? Thanks

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Well.....

Quote Originally Posted by AFSpyder View Post
    I have a 2 week old 2015 RT-S Special Series. I just moved to it from a 2011 RS, so having a radio seems pretty cool. I want to get the radio into our helmets. We currently have a SENA SMH-10 bluetooth setup in our helmets and very happy with it. What I am wondering is if I get the SENA SM-10 bluetooth transmitter and hook it to the bike with the 1/8 cable in the trunk, will they talk to each other. According to the website it will work. I would rather hear from someone who has it. If you do have the setup, is there any tricks or problems you ran into before you got it working? Thanks
    We have a 2014 with a SM10 and SMH10 headsets. They work great, we listen to XM and ride away. I have the SM10 in the front cargo compartment but am considering moving it to the rear trunk for ease of use. It was a pain trying to figure out how to get both headsets to pick up the radio. In my opinion the instructions are lacking but once we were given step by step, it worked great. I am now trying to determine how to get my iPhone back on line with the SM10 as well as the Garmen. Anyway, to answer your question, yes it will work. And a huge thank you to Russ for the layman's instructions.
    Tony and Brenda - Vienna, WV
    Usarmye7ret@gmail.com

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have the SM10 & S20 installed on my helmet & 2014 spyder... I won't recommend Sena.. my set up constantly un-pairs... I have paired it at last 2 dozen times. .. called Sena customer service... and was told that I could not use I-Pod or FM as my music source.... so what good is it... ???
    to answer your question.. NO, IT DOES NOT WORK !!! SAVE YOUR MONEY !!!

oh ... I forgot to mention...I have the custom made Bluetooth dongle...

osm
    Last edited by Orange Spyder Man; 04-16-2015 at 10:11 AM.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I have a 2013 RTS with the bluetooth dongle and a SM20 on my helmet and have absolutley no problem hearing my radio through my helmet or my Ipod connected in the rear trunk with the proper connection. Mine works great.

Bill C.

Spyder Garage

The SM10 bluetooth dongle works very well but it does not plug into the jack in the trunk. You either need to by the Can Am version that comes with a special wiring harness for the SM10 or Finless posted instructions for building your own.

I connected mine to the rear speakers as I got too much noise with it connected to the radio unit via the BRP cable.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AFSpyder View Post
    No you can't use the 1/8 cable in the trunk. That is audio input to the radio only, no output. As jcthorne said you need the BRP kit or custom make the cable. The Sena website has a cable cable that will work but only on Spyders with the "Entertainment Harness" that have the plugins for wired helmets. I am guessing you don't have that.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Spyder Man View Post
    I have the SM10 & S20 installed on my helmet & 2014 spyder... I won't recommend Sena.. my set up constantly un-pairs... I have paired it at last 2 dozen times. .. called Sena customer service... and was told that I could not use I-Pod or FM as my music source.... so what good is it... ???

osm
    The SM10 works just fine. You must remember to turn it off after you are done riding for the day or plug it into a power source that is on all the time.
    Yes you can only pair one music source to any Sena headset. Since you have the SM10, it will be your music source. All your other music sources have to be connected to it. Plug your ipod into the ipod connector into the rear trunk. So now it is indirectly connected to the SM10. There is FM in the radio so you can choose that if you like.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Cool

Different strokes for different folks

I have the SM10 in the Frunk and the wife and I have S20 head sets.
    WE can listen to radio on trike, iPod in trunk, cell phone calls, the built in S20 FM, talk to each, GPS directions, or to a group of up to 8 other riders, without any problems.
    The key is setting the SM10 as the primary on the S20 and the cell phone as the secondary.
    Follow the directions given in the SM10 manual. Once the one or two headsets are paired to the SM 10, then goto the headset manual to pair cell phone as SECONDARY and if required the two headsets to each other. DONE.

Most problems with the system are do to cockpit errors, poorly written instructions, and as mentioned by others turning the SM10 off if not being used for >24 hours.

AJ

osm
    2014 RT/S , Black

Spyder Garage

I ride mostly solo, have the SM10 in the frunk and SMH10 in my helmet. I followed the instructions in the SM10 manual to pair my iPhone to the SM10 and SMH10 to same. I used to carry phone in jacket pocket but now have it connected to the DIN plug in the trunk with a 30 pin to lightning plug adapter cable. I did that to listen to Pandora through my phone and holler "Hey Siri" if I want to make a call.

Within the next couple of days I'll finally get my Zumo 590 mounted on my Tri-Axis bars. Then I'll really get to see how the Garmin, SM10, SMH10 and iPhone pairing all works. I have found thus far that following the Sena instruction manuals has worked just as predicted. YMMV.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Most of the issues people have with the SM10 kit from BRP are noise and disconnects because it is mounted in the frunk (front trunk) and the cable runs the entire length of the Spyder thus picking up noise.

Many that have moved it to the trunk no longer have issues. Making your own cable in my opinion is the best way and saves a lot of money.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

if anyone wants to buy a "custom cable" made by Finless.. i'll sell it for what I paid for it.. PM me if interested..

osm

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

osm
    I have found that people who have the bluetooth dongle often have endless trouble. Using the Sena products without that I have had phenomenal success with both the SMH-10 and 20S. I often pair with club members instantly that haven't seen for a month or more, and I never lose my wife on intercom except for the moments that garmin gives me route instructions.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

if anyone wants to buy a "custom cable" made by Finless.. i'll sell it for what I paid for it.. PM me if interested..

osm
    Why are you not using it? Just curious?

As for issues, been using the SMH5-FM headets and now my 20S headsets with the SM10 and my cable with no issues for 2 years now.

Bob

Spyder Garage

I am using Finless's cable. IT works great. I have it installed in the rear trunk. Currently using the SR10 for portable CB also. Firetstick antenna. All working well together.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

FYI just a fact so I don't get in trouble here with sponsorship.

When people say Finless's cable, I make them for free. You just buy the parts and ship them to me and I ship you the cable made up and you pay return shipping. Basically just covering all my out of pocket cost.
    So I am doing this as a service for people.

Vidman, glad you like the cable!

Bob

Spyder Garage

Default Issues in the frunk

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    Most of the issues people have with the SM10 kit from BRP are noise and disconnects because it is mounted in the frunk (front trunk) and the cable runs the entire length of the Spyder thus picking up noise.

Many that have moved it to the trunk no longer have issues. Making your own cable in my opinion is the best way and saves a lot of money.

Bob
    I have a lot of static with mine being in the frunk using the BRP kit and wiring. Sounds like I need to move mine to the trunk to eliminate the static. When I make this move with the BRP cable can I leave all the extra cable near the trunk and not have the static problem? The other issue I have is the volume doesn't seem to be very loud in the helmets even at the max volume. I've updated to the newest firmware thinking they would increase the max volume, but it didn't.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yes you can coil up the wire in the space behind the radio under the right passenger handrail. That cover is easily removed (see my videos).

As for volume, on the SM10 you have a volume boost function. After it is on and streaming music push the button twice. This is in the SM10 manual.

Bob

Spyder Garage

I have the BRP setup. I had it installed when I bought my Spyder, so it was a pretty decent discount.
    The SM-10 dongle is located in the frunk, and I have two SMH-10 headsets.
    This is all Sena equipment rebranded by BRP.
    When I first bought the unit, it was plagued with drop-outs.
    I did a firmware update and all the dropouts disappeared.

I think the SMH-10 firmware is up to 5.1.1.
    See if the firmware update works for you.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JBonamassa Fan View Post
    I have a lot of static with mine being in the frunk using the BRP kit and wiring. Sounds like I need to move mine to the trunk to eliminate the static. When I make this move with the BRP cable can I leave all the extra cable near the trunk and not have the static problem? The other issue I have is the volume doesn't seem to be very loud in the helmets even at the max volume. I've updated to the newest firmware thinking they would increase the max volume, but it didn't.
    Before moving, try disconnecting the power cable (USB). Use the 12V adapter that came with your SM10 for power instead. Most likely the noise will be gone. It did for me anyway.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

That is strange Orange, I have the SM10 and the Sena Bluetooth Dongle on my 2014 RT and I have been using my IPOD since it was installed.

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

Yes you can coil up the wire in the space behind the radio under the right passenger handrail. That cover is easily removed (see my videos).

As for volume, on the SM10 you have a volume boost function. After it is on and streaming music push the button twice. This is in the SM10 manual.

Bob
    Thanks Bob! The update to my owners manual from Sena for the Dongle was missing and I was able to increase the volume!

Spyder Garage

Wow - missed that one
    Regarding boost. Does the SM10 remember when you turn it back on, or do you need to select it each time?

TIA

AJ

Bob
    2014 RT/S , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinLV View Post
    Wow - missed that one
    Regarding boost. Does the SM10 remember when you turn it back on, or do you need to select it each time?

TIA

AJ
    Sorry to say, you have to do it next power on. It does not remember. I wish it did.

Bob

Spyder Garage

Tnx Bob,

Good to know since the Boost on the S20 "remembers"

AJ
    Sorry to say, you have to do it next power on. It does not remember. I wish it did.

Bob
    2014 RT/S , Black

Spyder Garage

I just never turn mine off. Its been on continuously for over a year now....links up with my helmet every time I turn the helmet on.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame