Thread: LED headlights

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default LED headlights

I have a 2014 black Spyder RS. I am looking for a cost effective way to upgrade the headlights to a pair of LED lights.
    I believe the LED lights are 2 -3 times brighter than the standard headlights. Does anybody have a good idea of how
    to tackle this upgrade ?

Very Active Member Buckeye Bleau's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default LED headlights

I have not done it yet, but I have done the homework. There are two site sponsons that you need to consider.
    1. Tricled, they put together awesome products with outstanding support, you can also get their product from Valu Accessories, another site sponsor.
    2. Lamonster Garage, has put together a highly reviewed headlight LED kit with installation videos for assistance. Good luck, they are all on the SpyderLovers home page.

Joe
    U.S. Army Viet Nam Era Vet
    2013 Spyder RT-L, Black Currant
    Trunk mount dual SS flag holder
    TricLed foam hand grips (awesome)
    Chromed Soaring Eagle License Holder
    Utopia Deluxe driver backrest
    LED fender lighting
    Fast Flash LED brake light
    Spyder Pops LED/skid plate

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Mine came from TricLEDs, and I love how well they work!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default I upgraded to the Lamonster Garage LED for both headlights and fog lights

I had an OEM fog light burn out on my 2014 RT Limited and decided to upgrade to LEDs. I purchased mine from the Lamonster Garage - great price, fast service, and proven to work on our Spyder. I did replace both the headlights and the fog lights with LEDs. I would highly recommend the headlight LEDs and the fog lights work fine as well, but the headlights make the difference!

It make a HUGE difference for visibility for you to be seen (my opinion). The stock lights are just not as bright with a yellow look to them. The LED are bright white and really work well.

Here's a link: http://www.lamonstergarage.com/lighting-2/

Good luck with your decision!
    Last edited by Jim&Teresa; 12-05-2016 at 10:00 AM.
    Happy and safe rydin'
    2014 Spyder RT Limited - January 2014, Cognac/Black Seat, #958, born on 1-8-14
    2014 RT Limited , Cognac

Spyder Garage

I had one of my OEM headlights go out ...I called dealer and was shocked when he told me that it would be over $150 to replace that one bulb. So I thought I can do this myself and replace with LED's. I have always been a fan of the LED technology (longevity, less power consumption, cooler, etc) so it was a no-brainer to me. I ordered the lights from Lamonster...received them in a couple days. I was already aware that several panels would have to be removed to install the lights so I watched several Youtube videos to "school" myself (Shawn Smoke has an excellent Youtube video for DIY oil change that goes into great detail that is also very helpful concerning the panel removals). I also watched Lamonster's videos for the install for these lights (unfortunately their video is only POST PANEL REMOVAL) and it was helpful.

The lights are really good (I'll talk more about that in a sec) but the install is very involved. This is not a SIMPLE "change the light bulb" procedure that just takes a few mins. You have to remove multiple panels and parts to get to the lights!! And the left front fog light is a "bear" to change (it can be done but you have to strain, pray a lot, hold your mouth just right and keep going even when you think it can't be done :-}.

If you are "mechanically challenged" or if you are in a hurry, you better not DIY with the lights for the Spyder!!! I'm glad I did it (now that it's over) because I like a challenge and I like to know how the bike is put together...but now, I also understand why the dealer was going to charge $150 to change a burned out bulb. I wouldn't do it for $150!

Now, with all that said, let me talk about the lights themselves: I said it earlier, I like LED technology. And now that I know how difficult it is to change a bulb on the Spyder, I am especially glad that I won't be doing this again (the LED's hopefully will out last the bike).

During the DAY TIME, the LED's are more visible to oncoming traffic. I have a fellow biker friend who rides with me and he tells me my lights are significantly brighter (day time riding)...and I know they are, however, at night, when the high-low beam shutter is up (lights are on bright) the "beam" of the LED is not as "focused" as the candescent lights were. The LED's on the bright light setting do produce a lot of light (but dispursed ...up high in the trees...sides of the road, etc) and it's good and bright...just not as FOCUSED as the candescent lights were and the color is not the same as the candescent. This can be a matter of "preference". * I liked the focus and the color of the candescent lights better.

Don't get me wrong, the Lamonster LED's are very good and very bright...just wish they were a little more "focused" and not such a bear to install (and the install difficulty is a BRP issue ...not Lamonster).

One other note: Lamonster was a pleasure to deal with, very friendly and anxious to help! I give them a "5". I'm very happy that I should never have to change a burned out bulb again!!!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Led Headlights

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye Bleau View Post
    I have not done it yet, but I have done the homework. There are two site sponsons that you need to consider.
    1. Tricled, they put together awesome products with outstanding support, you can also get their product from Valu Accessories, another site sponsor.
    2. Lamonster Garage, has put together a highly reviewed headlight LED kit with installation videos for assistance. Good luck, they are all on the SpyderLovers home page.

Joe
    Thank you for this information. I will check them out and move forward.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rtlister View Post
    I had one of my OEM headlights go out ...I called dealer and was shocked when he told me that it would be over $150 to replace that one bulb. So I thought I can do this myself and replace with LED's. I have always been a fan of the LED technology (longevity, less power consumption, cooler, etc) so it was a no-brainer to me. I ordered the lights from Lamonster...received them in a couple days. I was already aware that several panels would have to be removed to install the lights so I watched several Youtube videos to "school" myself (Shawn Smoke has an excellent Youtube video for DIY oil change that goes into great detail that is also very helpful concerning the panel removals). I also watched Lamonster's videos for the install for these lights (unfortunately their video is only POST PANEL REMOVAL) and it was helpful.

The lights are really good (I'll talk more about that in a sec) but the install is very involved. This is not a SIMPLE "change the light bulb" procedure that just takes a few mins. You have to remove multiple panels and parts to get to the lights!! And the left front fog light is a "bear" to change (it can be done but you have to strain, pray a lot, hold your mouth just right and keep going even when you think it can't be done :-}.

If you are "mechanically challenged" or if you are in a hurry, you better not DIY with the lights for the Spyder!!! I'm glad I did it (now that it's over) because I like a challenge and I like to know how the bike is put together...but now, I also understand why the dealer was going to charge $150 to change a burned out bulb. I wouldn't do it for $150!

Now, with all that said, let me talk about the lights themselves: I said it earlier, I like LED technology. And now that I know how difficult it is to change a bulb on the Spyder, I am especially glad that I won't be doing this again (the LED's hopefully will out last the bike).

During the DAY TIME, the LED's are more visible to oncoming traffic. I have a fellow biker friend who rides with me and he tells me my lights are significantly brighter (day time riding)...and I know they are, however, at night, when the high-low beam shutter is up (lights are on bright) the "beam" of the LED is not as "focused" as the candescent lights were. The LED's on the bright light setting do produce a lot of light (but dispursed ...up high in the trees...sides of the road, etc) and it's good and bright...just not as FOCUSED as the candescent lights were and the color is not the same as the candescent. This can be a matter of "preference". * I liked the focus and the color of the candescent lights better.

Don't get me wrong, the Lamonster LED's are very good and very bright...just wish they were a little more "focused" and not such a bear to install (and the install difficulty is a BRP issue ...not Lamonster).

One other note: Lamonster was a pleasure to deal with, very friendly and anxious to help! I give them a "5". I'm very happy that I should never have to change a burned out bulb again!!!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    Thank You for this information. I will check out vendors and get started.

Spyder Garage

I am going to do this in the spring. I was also motivated because I have to R&R the panels to fix a leaking radiator reservoir. Might as well do it once and done!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PapaHotel View Post
    I am going to do this in the spring. I was also motivated because I have to R&R the panels to fix a leaking radiator reservoir. Might as well do it once and done!
    I got my head lights from tricled, order my fog lights on amazon! Since they're bouth working fine, i see no need to make a comparison!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by lakerider View Post
    Thank You for this information. I will check out vendors and get started.
    All the advice is for RT's, S3's not RS. We take a different bulb.
    David
    Last edited by Warlock; 12-07-2016 at 07:24 PM.

Spyder Garage

I recently installed the Lamonster LED headlights and Fog lights. Install was easy peasy for both. Love the additional light I gained from this install.
    2016 F3T Magnesium Metalic : Smooth Spyder Dual Backrest, Lamonster LED Head lights and Fog lights

Spyder Garage

In my opinion and experience with LED's....they are meant to make you seen, but not really meant to improve your ability to see. That is why you see them on light bars on a lot of emergency, utility, contractor...etc...type vehicles, they need to be seen for safety reasons. As mentioned, they use lots less power and create a ton of visible light, but the light is highly dispersed and not focused. Probably a great upgrade for daytime riding, but probably not the best option for night time riding. All opinion of course....each has his own. Good luck with the swap. Sounds like a good winter project.
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Go all the way

I have to agree that LED bulbs don't have the sharpest focus on the road. One of the best upgrades that I did on my RT was to install Xenon bulbs (and all the necessary parts) in my fog lights. The bright, clean white light filling up the void between me and where the BRP Xenon headlights begin is something that puts a smile on my face every time I have the opportunity to ride after dark. Yes, it is more work to install, but you will be delighted (pun intended) beyond your wildest dreams. It was worth every bit of work and every dollar it cost.