Spyder Garage

Default Potential new owner question

I've owned a couple of cruisers and want to get back into riding. I like the Spyder and was pretty close to pulling the trigger until I did a little research. It doesn't take much time on Google or forums like this to find some horror stories about limp mode, various electrical issues, lack of mechanics that know what they're doing, etc. I found a 2012 with only 2300 miles I was going to buy, but am I better off buying new so I can have the warranty? Or am I better off looking elsewhere if problems are as frequent as they appear to be?

Thanks!
    2022 RT , Hyper Silver

Spyder Garage

which model are you looking at? The 2012 are notoriously reliable. If you want a warranty you can buy one thru Zurich. When I bought my 2012 I wanted a warranty and that's who I went to. I just asked around at the local rec vehicle dealers until I found somebody who had one at a price I was willing to pay.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    which model are you looking at? The 2012 are notoriously reliable. If you want a warranty you can buy one thru Zurich. When I bought my 2012 I wanted a warranty and that's who I went to. I just asked around at the local rec vehicle dealers until I found somebody who had one at a price I was willing to pay.
    It's an RSS SE5.
    2022 RT , Hyper Silver

Spyder Garage

Default Sadly....

The places you looked are the places giving help and making it seem that there are a lot of problems . ...not so. 2012 was a good year and the GS, RS and RSS were the ones with few if any problems. Little checking with the vin# to see if the unit is up to date should help you out...Have an RS 2012 with over 35,000 with no problems...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

1. Go to any forum on any make/model and you'll find enough horror stories to put you off...and if you look carefully at the issues on any forum you'll normally just a few owners being very vocal.

2. My 2011 RS is one of the most reliable bikes I've had (the most unreliable was a Honda:-))

3. The GS/RS models are some of the most reliable, particularly from 2008 - 2012

4. The RS 2012 is the last of the 'old' model RS's. This means any early production run issues had been ironed out. Also means it has the faster engine than the newer ones.

5. Because it's the older model it doesn't have DESS so you don't have to worry about that. Got a feeling the throttle is cable not fly-by-wire on the 2012 as well (it is on the 2011)

6. Fitted with a Rotax engine, a make known for their reliability

Spyder Garage

Default that 2012 model

heyyyyyy how much for that 2012 ? ...... I think the model you were looking at had the clutch on left , { S M 5 } is the paddle ... if you are not getting the 2012 I was wondering the price on that 2012 , I kind of been inside one ! or 2 only problem I had was the seals in the clutch , and teaching the wifey how too drive it .......... been a really nice ride !

Spyder Garage

I just purchased a 2012 RT Limited SE5. LOVE her!

SE5 is Semi-Automatic
    SM5 is a manual

The manual works the same way as typical cruiser that you are accustom too. I had to move to the automatic because of my hand strength not being able to hold in the clutch. If you are look at the 5 speed (2013 or early) over the 6 speed (2014 and up), the 2012 is a good year. I've done a lot of research. They are solid! What is the price on the bike you are looking at?

Quote Originally Posted by Azbronco View Post
    I've owned a couple of cruisers and want to get back into riding. I like the Spyder and was pretty close to pulling the trigger until I did a little research. It doesn't take much time on Google or forums like this to find some horror stories about limp mode, various electrical issues, lack of mechanics that know what they're doing, etc. I found a 2012 with only 2300 miles I was going to buy, but am I better off buying new so I can have the warranty? Or am I better off looking elsewhere if problems are as frequent as they appear to be?

Thanks!
    Breathing New Life into Forgotten Treasures

DerBayzVintage

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I just purchased a 2012 RSS SE5 about 4 weeks ago. The only issue that I have been having is a check engine/transmission light will come on if it sits for a couple of days. I let it sit for about 10 minutes, and it is gone. I plan on taking it to a dealer within the next week or so and having them check it out. I hope it is nothing too terrible. I have been told that the switch on the paddle shifter may be going bad. I will report back once I find out. I do still love the bike though. Just need to get past this issue.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks!
    It's an RSS SE5.
    If you like cruisers, you should look at an F3, F3S, F3T or Ltd. I think you'd like them.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Most posters on forums are the ones that post to complain about something. It tends to give the impression that there are more issues than there really are.

Check out my history at the bottom of post. Have not had any major issues that you have spoken about. And I cover three models five machines, and 130,000 plus miles.

The important thing when making a purchase, new or used, is to do some due diligence about the dealer, the actual machine you are interested in, and to do a VIN search on any used one you may purchase.

Questions here are also answered quickly. Let us know what you do.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 12-05-2016 at 02:32 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Don't Hesitate!

I've owned a couple of cruisers and want to get back into riding. I like the Spyder and was pretty close to pulling the trigger until I did a little research. It doesn't take much time on Google or forums like this to find some horror stories about limp mode, various electrical issues, lack of mechanics that know what they're doing, etc. I found a 2012 with only 2300 miles I was going to buy, but am I better off buying new so I can have the warranty? Or am I better off looking elsewhere if problems are as frequent as they appear to be? Thanks!
    Like all "consumer reports", the majority cover the "bad" things. The vast majority have nothing but good things to say about products, and the Spyder is no exception.
    DO IT!
    2014 ST Limited

Spyder Garage

I actually use this site. This may help in your search for reliability. It took me almost a year to get the bike after long research. http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchSafetyIssues

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Reading through this I see the 2012s get a fair amount of "reliability" accolades, which is good info for those of us shopping for our first Spyder.
    Are there years or models that have not performed as well? 2013 and the "heat issue" I know not a huge thing but I've read a few posts about it so I'm using it for reference..
    In a perfect world I'd be buying a new F3 (or used from this forum in GA) but as life sometimes has a way of getting in the way $$ wise I'm doing some homework on options.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The 2010 and 2011 RTs had a lot of throttle body issues.
    They seemed to have been largely worked-out by the time the 2012s had arrived.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default buying a used Spyder

Dealers want too much money for used Spyder, but you can buy one from a individual for a lot less! The only problem I have in Georgia is that all the dealers are in the Atlanta area! I live in South GA, and my nearest dealers are over 100 miles away all three of them! I am used to a Harley dealer who keeps parts, etc. on hand within 25 miles of me! All the Harley Techs can work on a Harley, whereas a Can Am Dealer may have only one Tech certified to work on the Spyder, wait time if you need repairs may be weeks! My experience has been that the Spyders loses value at a fast pace!
    I have a $30,000 one that has 1900 miles on it, and I will be lucky to sell it for $15,000! That is a big loss for 3 years ($5000 per year)! They are good riding machines, but please buy what you want up front, because the dealer will not want to trade back for it in my area of the country! I rode all makes and models of motorcycles, but this is my first Spyder, so some may not agree with me on this site!

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Yep

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieSpyder View Post
    If you like cruisers, you should look at an F3, F3S, F3T or Ltd. I think you'd like them.
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Thanks!
    I'm on my third Spyder - had a 2010, 2012 RT Limited and now a 2014 RT Limited and have NOT had a problem with any one of the three.. those posts of people with issues are the exception and not the rule. there are thousands of happy and satisfied Spyder owners in America.
    BIG F

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yesterday I rolled up 58,000 miles total for my two machines. NO major problems, just normal maintenance and very few little problems that could be expected with any complex man-made machine.
    NO regrets!
    NEW - 2015 RT Limited SE6 Intense Red Pearl - 07/21/15
    Retained the old mirrors with TricLed Signals
    General Altimax RT43 rear tire (at...17,000 miles) Ran for 36,500 miles
    Michelin Defender.......rear tire (at...53,500 miles) Ran for 60,700 miles
    Riken Raptor HR.........rear tire (at 114,200 miles)
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 front tires (at 70,500 miles, first new fronts!)
    Gear Brake Decelerometer Module

OLD - 2012 RT Limited SE5 Pearl White - 01/31/13 - Traded in at 32,600 miles.
    BajaRon Anti-sway Bar
    Kumho ECSTA AST rear tire (at 14,200 miles)
    TricLed Turn Signals in Mirrors
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have 35K on our '14RT with all trouble-free miles with the exception of the air ryde system. I also have a '17 F3S Daytona that is a real joy to ryde. About 4k on it and no issues at all.