Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Smile Doc Humphreys RT BELT VIBRATION DAMPER KIT

Hello Spyder Friends,

I have been putting up with that annoying belt vibration for almost 2 years. A smoothspyder did not help at all, just made it occur at a higher speed, same with tightening the belt. I know some do not get the vibration, but with us always riding 2 up we got it between 65-75. It would occur as low as 60 if going up a hill. It really killed our enjoyment of our Spyder on highway trips, and was not looking forward to Going to Valcourt.

Purchased the F3 idler kit from Pit Bull and the adapter kit from Doc Humphreys (roadster renovations). Doc did a wonderful job creating the kit. All the holes lined up perfect, brackets were painted nice and all the hardware was good quality.

Decided to leave the smoothspyder on the bottom of the belt. I paid 250 bucks for that thing, might as well get some use out of it. After looking at finless Bob's video, I still think it is worth having an idler at the bottom of the belt to stop it from bouncing around. At the very least it may help with vibrations at the bottom of the belt when you let off the throttle.

Words cannot describe how happy Meg and I were to not feel the vibration, it was freaking gone!!!

Not only that, we noticed the Spyder was smoother even at lower speeds. What we always thought were engine vibes was the belt vibration. We drove for 75 miles, tried all speeds in 5 MPH increments all the way up to 95 MPH (fastest we ever drove the Spyder). This is the way the Spyder was meant to be, smoother then any 2 wheeled motorcycle we ever owned.

It was especially smooth at 75 MPH, the speed that most traffic is moving on the Garden State Parkway and the interstate. It was impossible to drive the Spyder at this speed before. The mirrors would shake so you could not see out of them, and it felt like the floorboards were going to fall off. I have no doubt that just installing the BRP tensioner would remove all the vibration we feel while cruising.

Still a little pissed that BRP did not make one specific for us RT owner's, But happy they designed one that was adaptable thanks to Doc's kit.

Take Care,
    Louie and Meg
    2015 RTL , Red

Spyder Garage

I want one too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Steel Black Metallic 2015 RTS-SE6 Limited ; FBB Highway Brackets/ gripper pegs. Gremlin bell. Bajaron sway bar, Elka stage 2 front shocks. Bumps kid with led lights, Ultimate seat tall boy seat. Trailer hitch. Freedom trailer.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for posting this!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderCruiser View Post
    Hello Spyder Friends,

I have been putting up with that annoying belt vibration for almost 2 years. A smoothspyder did not help at all, just made it occur at a higher speed, same with tightening the belt. I know some do not get the vibration, but with us always riding 2 up we got it between 65-75. It would occur as low as 60 if going up a hill. It really killed our enjoyment of our Spyder on highway trips, and was not looking forward to Going to Valcourt.

Purchased the F3 idler kit from Pit Bull and the adapter kit from Doc Humphreys (roadster renovations). Doc did a wonderful job creating the kit. All the holes lined up perfect, brackets were painted nice and all the hardware was good quality.

Decided to leave the smoothspyder on the bottom of the belt. I paid 250 bucks for that thing, might as well get some use out of it. After looking at finless Bob's video, I still think it is worth having an idler at the bottom of the belt to stop it from bouncing around. At the very least it may help with vibrations at the bottom of the belt when you let off the throttle.

Words cannot describe how happy Meg and I were to not feel the vibration, it was freaking gone!!!

Not only that, we noticed the Spyder was smoother even at lower speeds. What we always thought were engine vibes was the belt vibration. We drove for 75 miles, tried all speeds in 5 MPH increments all the way up to 95 MPH (fastest we ever drove the Spyder). This is the way the Spyder was meant to be, smoother then any 2 wheeled motorcycle we ever owned.

It was especially smooth at 75 MPH, the speed that most traffic is moving on the Garden State Parkway and the interstate. It was impossible to drive the Spyder at this speed before. The mirrors would shake so you could not see out of them, and it felt like the floorboards were going to fall off. I have no doubt that just installing the BRP tensioner would remove all the vibration we feel while cruising.

Still a little pissed that BRP did not make one specific for us RT owner's, But happy they designed one that was adaptable thanks to Doc's kit.

Take Care,
    Louie and Meg
    I too have installed Doc's 'kit', and also HAD the Smooth Spyder belt tensioner installed. But to get an honest opinion of Doc's kit I removed the belt tensioner, which was harder than installing Doc's set up. After my ride, which was very similar to yours, I decided not to re-install the Smooth Spyder Tensioner and do with out the added pressure applied to my bearings by the Smooth Spyder that was set as per instructions at 12 pounds. I was surprised at the weight of the belt tensioner and how much pressure was applied to the bottom of the belt. Glad you are now happy with the RT, I know I am too.

David

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you were?

Spyder Garage

I too am tired of this belt vibration!!! Where can I get this kit? Is it a complete kit or do I need anything else?

Thanks in advance.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Av8er View Post
    I too am tired of this belt vibration!!! Where can I get this kit? Is it a complete kit or do I need anything else?

Thanks in advance.
    Yeah ,me too
    2011 RTS 2006 Yamaha Morphous
    2017 F150 2015 MINI Cooper S IBA 56167

Spyder Garage

Thanks in advance.
    You can get the kit from Doc Humphreys at Roadsterrenovations.com. and you will need Can Am's Idler Belt Kit part number 219800412 available at your local dealer. Both items are about $35.00, but Pit Bull Powersports stated that they have 40 of them on order and it seems most dealers are sold out of them right now but have them on order. Doc Humphrey also has a good installation video on his web site.

David
    Last edited by Devious56; 12-01-2016 at 10:08 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Devious56 View Post
    You can get the kit from Doc Humphreys at Roadsterrenovations.com. and you will need Can Am's Idler Belt Kit part number 219800412 available at your local dealer. Both items are about $35.00, but Pi Bull Powersports stated that they have 40 of them on order and it seems most dealers are sold out of them right now but have them on order. Doc Humphrey also has a good installation video on his web site.

David
    Pefect, ordering mine tomorrow. Thanks

Spyder Garage

Does this kit work on a 2014 RTL??? If it does, I too want one...been annoyed by the belt vibration from day one! 5hanks for the info.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Here is the link to Roadster renovation, http://dochumphreys.wixsite.com/roadster/products
    [B]

2018 Intense Red F3T (See About Me under My Profile for mods)
    2010 Timeless Black RT-622 Trailer
    2014 Timeless Black RTS-SE6, 34,300 Miles, traded May 2019
    2011 Timeless Black RTS-SE5, 15,180 Miles, traded April 2014

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rtlister View Post
    Does this kit work on a 2014 RTL??? If it does, I too want one...been annoyed by the belt vibration from day one! 5hanks for the info.
    Yup!
    The tricky part, is that BRP hasn't produced enough of the belt tensioners yet...

Spyder Garage

Just got put on the list to get one from Pitbull when they come in. He said currently its saying 12/23 but it keeps getting pushed out. He said he has 80 on order.

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Powersports warehouse has it under 25.00

Displaying search results for '219800412' in Can-Am (Bombardier)

Part # Outdated Description Price 24.49 Where Used
    219800412 IDLER BELT KIT

Page of 1

Displaying 1 to 1 of 1 items

2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fatcycledaddy View Post
    Displaying search results for '219800412' in Can-Am (Bombardier)

Part # Outdated Description Price 24.49 Where Used
    219800412 IDLER BELT KIT

Page of 1

Displaying 1 to 1 of 1 items

Address? Phone number?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We need a little bit more information...

Spyder Garage

Powersportswearhouse.com

Hope this works for you guys, that's a great deal if it's true.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Humphreys View Post
    Address? Phone number?
    http://www.powersportswarehouse.com/...F293150089%2F1
    Sorry I had to get out of the office for a bit.
    I have found that Powersportswarehouse has had the best prices on all factory parts. Their shipping is very quick also. I used them to replace frunk panel and a few other parts when I got back ito last year.
    Last edited by Fatcycledaddy; 12-02-2016 at 02:46 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Ok, Part was $24.49, shipping was $21.23 to my location for a total of $45.72.
    The adapter bracket from Doc Humphreys with shipping was $40.00.

Where else can you get a belt idler for under $90.00???

I ordered mine, can't wait to see how much the difference is.

Spyder Garage

I will be curious to see if you get an email stating they are on back order.
    Please keep us posted.

Spyder Garage

Just got a call from pit bull today!!! The tensioners are in!!!! Order while you can.

Spyder Garage

Default Belt tensioner

Just got a call from pit bull today!!! The tensioners are in!!!! Order while you can.
    Igot mine today!

Very Active Member OverHillAndDale's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

So before I order,...

I need BRP part 219800412 AND Doc Humphrey's adapter RT belt vibration adapter kit.. Together these components manage belt vibration, right?

And, these parts are instead of the other belt tensioners that are on the market.

If I'm not understanding this right someone please re-explain before I spend $80 on parts.

Thanks, Dale
    2020- RT Limited
    Chalk White, Can-Am rear passenger armrests, Comfort Seat, Grip puppies, RAM Cup Holders, Providence RAM Mount
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Big Bike Parts wiring harness
    Permanent Smile!!!

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by OverHillAndDale View Post
    So before I order,...

I need BRP part 219800412 AND Doc Humphrey's adapter RT belt vibration adapter kit.. Together these components manage belt vibration, right?

And, these parts are instead of the other belt tensioners that are on the market.

If I'm not understanding this right someone please re-explain before I spend $80 on parts.

Thanks, Dale

You are 100 % correct. Those two parts are all you need. Just watch the video on the installation and you are ready to go.

I put one of these on my 15RT and I can assure you it works! This is the exact way that the Spyder should have felt from day one.
    2015 RT Limited Intense Red Pearl