View Poll Results: Has your Spyder ever been in the shop for warranty repair?

Voters
310. You may not vote on this poll
  • SM5- No Never

119 38.39%
  • SM5- Yes

52 16.77%
  • SM5- Yes more than once

33 10.65%
  • SE5- No Never

50 16.13%
  • SE5- Yes

28 9.03%
  • SE5- Yes more than once

28 9.03%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Praying for Nancy.
    Hope the post jinx doesn't get me, too.

john

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by northramp View Post
    Probably will beat the Spyder as BRP seems to ship their parts Glacially!!
    That's the best explanation I have heard yet!
    -Scotty

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Well, mine's in the shop now for a failed cam lifter and chain at only 10k on her. Who knows when I'll get her back..From what the mechanic said, a lifter failed then the timing chain stretched.

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    Maybe we can get an idea at least on this board how big the issue is or isn't.
    I'm not talking about parking brake recalls or anything like that. I'm talking about you having a problem (that you didn't cause) that caused you to have to take it to the dealer to have it fixed under warranty.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    Maybe we can get an idea at least on this board how big the issue is or isn't.
    I'm not talking about parking brake recalls or anything like that. I'm talking about you having a problem (that you didn't cause) that caused you to have to take it to the dealer to have it fixed under warranty.
    Mine went into limp mode about 1000Kms from home, with all sorts of faults scrolling across the screen. After being towed to the dealer in Sydney (about 200Kms), courtesy of BRP Australia's free Roadside Assist Package, and connecting to BUDS, the VCM (vehicle control module) was deemed to have died. The tech reckoned it was the first he'd heard of failing, which was probably lucky, because BRP had one in stock. Someone from BRP dropped off the new VCM at the dealers on his way home from work, and Spyder was fixed and ready less than 36 hours after original breakdown. I can't thank everyone involved in this, enough. It could have been a very awkward and costly problem, and completely stuffed our trip (about 4000kms). As it was, it was just an inconvenience.
    Bob

Spyder Garage

Default 2008 SE5

"Brake Failure" message, 523 miles on it, 1 month old. It goes to the shop on Saturday for the 600 mile service also going to perform the Decembers Service bullet on the shifting---Replacing the left side CAM for the shock--I've never touched them but theres a dime size peace broke of-----
    Joe

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by xpeschon View Post
    "Brake Failure" message, 523 miles on it, 1 month old. It goes to the shop on Saturday for the 600 mile service also going to perform the Decembers Service bullet on the shifting---Replacing the left side CAM for the shock--I've never touched them but theres a dime size peace broke of-----
    Joe
    As to the brake failure message, top off the brake fluid. Spyder is extremely sensitive to brake fluid level.
    -Scotty

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpybob View Post
    Mine went into limp mode about 1000Kms from home, with all sorts of faults scrolling across the screen. After being towed to the dealer in Sydney (about 200Kms), courtesy of BRP Australia's free Roadside Assist Package, and connecting to BUDS, the VCM (vehicle control module) was deemed to have died. The tech reckoned it was the first he'd heard of failing, which was probably lucky, because BRP had one in stock. Someone from BRP dropped off the new VCM at the dealers on his way home from work, and Spyder was fixed and ready less than 36 hours after original breakdown. I can't thank everyone involved in this, enough. It could have been a very awkward and costly problem, and completely stuffed our trip (about 4000kms). As it was, it was just an inconvenience.
    Bob
    My VCM was the first thing that went bad on mine, too.
    2009 GS SM5 , Red/Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AMTJIM View Post
    My VCM was the first thing that went bad on mine, too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trumpybob View Post
    Bob

VCM supposed to be replaced today.

Bob is BRP replacing the VCM right off the bat or is you technician havig to try another sensor first. My VCM was bad too - but they made the shop change the Angle Sensor first before they would change the VCM out.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

2008 sm5, Power steering would kick in and out, took it in to replace the gear position sensor. My dealer said the power steering module was bad so he ordered a new one on saturday,received it on wed,installed it,installed new brake pads(all three), fixed parking brake issue. All under warranty, i will pick it up tomorrow ( 1 week later). I am very happy with Rec World Power Sports in Las Vegas. They know what they are doing and do it right. I also have to say BRP IS standing behind these machines and fixing the issues we are all having. I am planning a week long 4 state ride this summer and I feel confidant riding my Spyder. I wouldnt trade for anything( until I,m ready for another Spyder)

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wbbrn1952 View Post
    VCM supposed to be replaced today.

Bob is BRP replacing the VCM right off the bat or is you technician havig to try another sensor first. My VCM was bad too - but they made the shop change the Angle Sensor first before they would change the VCM out.
    When the technician connected to BUDS, the message showed "VCM failure, no external repair possible". They just replaced the VCM. The tech did check all the fuses and relays while they were waiting to hear if a new VCM was on the shelf. What might have helped was that I was receiving calls from one of the guys at BRP. In fact I think I spoke to him more times than I spoke to my wife (slight exageration). He was most helpful and was really understanding about the whole situation. In fact, it was him who dropped the part off at the dealers on his way home from work. As I said, the Spyder was back on the road the next day.
    Bob

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

never,never,ever

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default IN SHOP AS OF TODAY (LIMP MODE -GEARS)

After having this happen 5 times it was clear that it was no freak thing. Brakes making noise and I forgot to tell them about that. Will call them Monday. On the brighter side of things, I ordered Corbin Saddles and Saddle Bags, picked up a TomTom 2nd edition GPS. I hope to have her back before next weekend. ken

Quote Originally Posted by AMTJIM View Post
    You may have the leaky master cylinder caps, mine are weeping...I let them know this...it's a recall.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Mine has Bent in for engine light. I was told it was the oxy sensor. Believe this. I was told that they had to order it, and I would have to bring the bike back. Well now the bike is apart and the part is in. They told me that there was a time limit to do the work, and that if it wasn't done within that time. The warranty would not cover it. I can't believe they would void my warranty because the bike is being worked on by me. Doing none warranty work I asked If I brought them the sensor. Could they give me the new one and I'll install it myself. I was told that they would have to check with Can-am. For over 40 yrs I've been doing my own work. And to unscrew a sensor and replace it with a new one and plug in the wire. Is a no brainier. They seen the work I've done already. They drool

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Constantly in the shop

My SE5 is 6 months old and has spent almost a third of that time in the shop. (it's there now and has been for the past 2 weeks.) The main cause was that the transmission kept locking into a gear and wouldn't come out. The shop has tried all of the things recommended by BRP (and a few I took them from searching the forums), but still no luck. I get a good ride for a while, and then it's back to the shop. I was able to work with the owner of the dealership to swap out the SE5 for a SM5 unit (I'm lucky, great customer service), which I should pick up within the next week or so. Hopefully the SM5 will be the bike I've been looking for.
    Last edited by cj sparrow; 04-13-2009 at 09:13 PM.

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator
    Spyder Garage

Default SM5 / SE5

A more accurate reading (IMO) is splitting the SM5 and SE5:
    SM5: 1. No, never: 54.86 %
    2. Yes: 29.16%
    3. Yes more than once: 15.97%
    SE5: 1. No, never: 50%
    2. Yes: 27.14%
    3. Yes more than once: 22.85%

Spyder Garage

Well, I've got to change my vote, the slip joint gaskets in the exhaust are gone. I wonder how many have gone out with stock mufflers as opposed to Hindles or other aftermarket exhausts?

john

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Repair Survey

With 13K miles on my SM5, haven't had any problems needing servicing. Just the usual brake squeak, etc. in the 13 months I've had it.

Spyder Garage

Default back to dealer

i am bringing mine in for the 3rd time something is wrong with the computer.when i first take off in the morning every thing is good 70 miles later pull over for a stretch.15 minutes later turn key put bike in neutral hit start nothing the letter e lights up everytime you hit start so you pull the clutch in bang she starts ok now you take off about 40 miles later the computer starts scanning check engine', the engine light+NEUTRAL+REVERSE+THE LETTER E IS BLINKING NOW I LOSE THE POWER STEERING TALK ABOUT PLAYING WITH YOUR MIND THEN WHEN IT COOLS DOWN EVERYTHING IS OK.

Mod Maniac
    Spyder Garage

Hey, John... from what I've read, muffler type really doesn't matter. The initial production batch of both upper and lower seals were re-spec'd and replaced by a new batch late last year.

Quote Originally Posted by retread View Post
    Well, I've got to change my vote, the slip joint gaskets in the exhaust are gone. I wonder how many have gone out with stock mufflers as opposed to Hindles or other aftermarket exhausts?

john

Spyder Garage

According to the poll so far the result is pretty sad for BRP. Only little over 50 out of every 100 is problem free. Bad track record thus far.
    Silver SM5 PE# 1274, Hindle Exhaust, Touring Windshield, Caliper Trim, B.E.S.T. 3 Year Ext, Nuvi 255 GPS, Fog Lights, Sport Rack, Back Rest, 12V Outlet, Talon 3300p Alarm, NMN Mud Flap and TipZ LEDs, SpyderLovers Emblems, Kuryakyn Widow Pegs and Axel Trim, Luimoto seat skin, Evo Air Filter and O2 Mod, Cranker Tank Bag, Blue Sea fuse block, MAD/AMS/MBG, Oddyssey battery, IPS.

Service Bulletin Applied: Gen II parking brake, 2nd SW patch, evap can/hose update, Gen II DPS

Spyder Garage

Leaking Master Cylinder. Hopefully will have it back on Saturday and be able to finally finish this build. Its been apart for WAY TOO LONG!!!!

Spyder Garage

If you look at the respondents for the SM5 separate from the SE5 the percentages look more realistic. Thus as of 4/28/09 9:50 pm eastern:

266 total votes broken down by SM5 or SE5

176 SM5 and 90 SE5
    Never 100 = 56.8% Never 44 = 48.8%
    Once 49 = 27.8% Once 23 = 25.5%
    More than 27 = 15.3% More than 23 = 25.5%

This indicates that the SM5 has a slight advantage of roughly 6% +/- over the SE5. But the SE5 looks much better in this light than it does in the overall total of the number being used for each.

Just thought this was a more realistic view.

Juice

Just noticed post by docdoru above. I agree with him.
    Last edited by Spyderjuice; 04-28-2009 at 09:06 PM. Reason: additional information
    Happy owner of 2014 White RTS - SE6

Spyder Garage

9200km never been in 3 oil changes sometimes have brake squeal walkerton ontario canada

Spyder Garage

I've been to the shop once with my SM5 because of no power steering. I went 7600 miles this way because I didn't know any different. My PS was bad from day one.

But that was a 5 week "Once". Mostly the dealership and BRP working out the kinks. In the end all went well and the dealer (Alcoa Good Times in East Tennessee) did me right and went beyond the call of duty to get me back on the road.

They replaced the GPS (Gear Position Sensor), the SAS (Steering Angle Sensor) and the Power Steering unit itself. They did this one item at a time and nothing worked until the PS unit was replaced so I'm not sure if the other parts were defective or not.

Now my PS works great and I am a very happy camper. Both BRP and the dealer (Alcoa Good Times) stood behind the product and you can't ask for more than that.

The other fix, parking brake would not release (fixed with new upgraded part, works flawlessly! I put it on and off even when I don't need it because it works so well now).

All done on warranty, no cost to me. Stuff happens and I thank BRP and Alcoa Good Times for taking care of my issues.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 05-04-2009 at 10:29 AM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Lemon Law

I got mine back today and after 15 minutes it stopped shifting again. I am going for the Lemon Law Clause. This is a terrible experience. Just take the darn thing already.