Spyder Garage

Default RT Vented Windshield Issues ??

I recently bought a used RT Windshield from a private seller on this site. After receiving this windshield I found that it was of the open vented type without any louvers. Can-Am does not make a louver retrofit for this model.

I am changing out my shorty windshield due to excessive wind on my face (I wear a half helmet ), What can I expect from this vented type with wind and rain getting through ? Will it be an issue ??

Any advice from owners who have one would be appreciated.
    2016 RT Special & 2017 RTS Pearl
    CATSKILLS SPYDER RIDERS - ADM

www.catskillsspyderryders.com & www.facebook.com/groups/catskillsspyderryders

[/url]

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

A vent from a Honda may work that can be opened and closed. One of the site vendors sells them

Spyder Garage

I have the vented windshield on my 2013 RTL, and have not had any issues with it. It really doesn't seem to let that much air through. I do ride on cold days, and have had no problem
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

What the vent seems to primarily do: let the airflow get smoothed out, and reduce buffeting!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

If the windshield you bought is off a 13 or newer it has two cut outs near the bottom. The old factory windshields and the shorty from your SS did not have these vents. There is an optional shield with a center vent that can be opened or closed. I have had both and I think that the 13+ stock windshield is better than the optional vented one. You wil not get wet through the cutouts.
    Last edited by SpyderAnn01; 11-29-2016 at 03:12 PM.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The two smaller cut-outs do just about as good a job of reducing the buffeting... without allowing ANY weather to get in your face!
    (The 2013s also had the cut-outs also...)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    What the vent seems to primarily do: let the airflow get smoothed out, and reduce buffeting!
    Agree. ^^^^^
    I've had numerous vented shields over the years and had no issue with wind or rain. The airflow gets dragged up the inside of the screen and smooths out turbulence.

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    The two smaller cut-outs do just about as good a job of reducing the buffeting... without allowing ANY weather to get in your face!
    (The 2013s also had the cut-outs also...)
    I was just coming back to edit my post. We are doing an oil change on a 13 and I looked at the windshield and realized my error. When I bought my 13 I had the vented optional shield transferred to it from my 10 so I never saw the stock one.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'd say that "Great minds think alike", but I'd never want to insult you like that!

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Venting

I've added vents ( Honda G/W style) to a couple of wind shields and it alwas improved the smoothness of the air flow around the passingers by enlarging the still air bubble behind the windscreen. I now have the BRP vented shield and my wife is much happier. With it all the way up and the vent all the way open, she get NO buffetting at all.

Nevada------ rain?????

Kaos
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Those cutouts also help to prevent your windshield from fogging up, there are no negative points on this windshield just positive ones, you will probably be very happy with it.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Thanks guys/gals for all your helpful comments. It seems that I will not have any issue with cold weather riding after all.

OK, now to just pray for some dry weather up here !!
    2016 RT Special & 2017 RTS Pearl
    CATSKILLS SPYDER RIDERS - ADM

www.catskillsspyderryders.com & www.facebook.com/groups/catskillsspyderryders

[/url]

Spyder Garage

If your fitting a new Windscreen just check your center arm at the same time to make sure it is not cracked.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FieldTester View Post
    Thanks guys/gals for all your helpful comments. It seems that I will not have any issue with cold weather riding after all.

OK, now to just pray for some dry weather up here !!
    Thursday and Friday look good here. The temperatures should reach up to at least 45 or so!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FieldTester View Post
    I recently bought a used RT Windshield from a private seller on this site. After receiving this windshield I found that it was of the open vented type without any louvers. Can-Am does not make a louver retrofit for this model.

I am changing out my shorty windshield due to excessive wind on my face (I wear a half helmet ), What can I expect from this vented type with wind and rain getting through ? Will it be an issue ??

Any advice from owners who have one would be appreciated.
    I have a 2015 RTS and added a BRP 25" vented windshield. It has louvres that can be opened and closed. It's a great shield.
    I've since replaced it with a tall and wide F4 to provide more protection for my wife.

I know that this doesn't help settle your immediate problem but I'm selling my BRP shield. I hope that the info helps, Ron

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Default RT Vented Windshield Issues ??

The vents reduce the back pressure substantially. Had them on all my GW's and Beemers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

A little info that might help.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black