Spyder Garage

Default Retiring and more time to ride

I am retiring January 1st 2017. will have more time to ride. I wondering if anyone be interested in riding across this great country of ours to the west coast or somewheres. I am located in Central NY by Cortland NY

Spyder Garage

Retirement is good. I find that on a lot of days my mailbox run is a hundred miles or so.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Congratulations on retirement. Wishing you many safe miles to come!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    2014 RT-SE6
    Akrapovic Sport Touring 3C Silencer
    High Mount Third Brake Light
    Kuryakyn Black ISO Motorcycle Grips
    LaMonster Spyderdock
    LED’s everywhere!
    Russell Day-Long w/ Backrest
    Seal Floorboards
    Spyderpops Bump Skid
    Spyderpops KOTT Grill (Keep Out The Trash)
    Squared Away Alignment

Riding taught me why dogs stick their heads out the window!

Spyder Garage

Default 3 things

3 things to watch out for during retirement....
    1. bored...... if you have no plans for the day, sometimes that's great to just sit back and relax... other times, you're walking from room to room wondering what to do...
    plan your days well, and stick to it...
    2. money.... very easy to spend way too much...
    3. refrigerator... it's ALWAYS way too close...

however, you've worked long and hard, so enjoy it to the MAX and for a long long time....

since my retirement in 2008, i've done 3 X-country rides, and i have come to realize just how wonderful our great country is... if you can't find anyone to go with you, do it alone... you'll meet plenty along the way... and if in Utah, treat yourself to Route 12, Americas Most Scenic Highway... i've ridden it 3 X's now, and it gets better each time... also, Route 34 in Colorado... it's a 'nose-bleed' ride, and i held my breath the entire length, but i'd do it all over again without hesitation...

as for my next ride, i'll wave to you as i pass-by on my way to Nova Scotia next July.....

best of luck, and ride with a smile....
    Dan P
    Easley, SC
    SPYD3R

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by marinespyder View Post
    I am retiring January 1st 2017. will have more time to ride......
    You'll enjoy it, just so long as you don't get 'organised' by seemingly caring people into doing waaaayyy too much other stuff 'just to keep you busy & stop you getting bored!' If you let some people know that you're now retired, they'll bust a gut finding stuff for you to do 'cos you've got all that spare time to fill now!'

Aaanyhoo, once you've checked out Nort America (or even sooner if you just want an O/S break) maybe you might consider spending a bit of time exploring further afield - there's a lot of great Spyder Ryding roads here in Aust, & I'm sure we can find a few people who'd be interested in ryding with you & hosting you while you're here. Just drop me a PM anytime if you want to explore the opportunities.

Spyder Garage

Ho there what time of the year are you planning to head west. I am leaving to head west the first week of august.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I retired 1 Jul 2016. Dan P gives some good advise on three of the pitfalls you can run into. I will leave from Virginia mid June on the southern route hitting Ft Benning, GA (basic training, jump school, ranger school, OCS), Ft Rucker ( Army Flight School), New Orleans ( National WWII Museum), stops in Texas and AZ to see friends and relatives and then on to San Diego to link up with the wife at her medical conference. Heading up the PCH to SF then east. Any recommendations for the route from SF back to the DC area would be appreciated. Thanks in advance- Lee A

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

on Retirement!

Have a safe trip cross country.

Deanna
    Last edited by Deanna777; 11-29-2016 at 12:25 PM.

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

Default 1111

Quote Originally Posted by Leeallen1111 View Post
    I retired 1 Jul 2016. Dan P gives some good advise on three of the pitfalls you can run into. I will leave from Virginia mid June on the southern route hitting Ft Benning, GA (basic training, jump school, ranger school, OCS), Ft Rucker ( Army Flight School), New Orleans ( National WWII Museum), stops in Texas and AZ to see friends and relatives and then on to San Diego to link up with the wife at her medical conference. Heading up the PCH to SF then east. Any recommendations for the route from SF back to the DC area would be appreciated. Thanks in advance- Lee A

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    On your return trip... try riding Route 70 in Utah, Americas Loneliest Highway... one tip: ALWAYS stop for gas, even if you have 3/4 of a tank... there are sections of up to 200 miles where there are NO GAS STATIONS.... you may even want to stop in at the Bonneville Speedway and/or the BINGHAM COPPER MINE... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bingham_Canyon_Mine one of the biggest man-made holes in the USA... from there, if time permits, stop in Deadwood, SD and see all the sites... on your way back to DC, you'll ride through the biggest corn field you'll ever see, it's call IOWA.....

enjoy and ride safely....
    Dan P
    SPYD3R

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Congrats

I haven't missed work once since I left. Day is too short, money spends too easy.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPYD3R View Post
    On your return trip... try riding Route 70 in Utah, Americas Loneliest Highway... one tip: ALWAYS stop for gas, even if you have 3/4 of a tank... there are sections of up to 200 miles where there are NO GAS STATIONS.... you may even want to stop in at the Bonneville Speedway and/or the BINGHAM COPPER MINE... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bingham_Canyon_Mine one of the biggest man-made holes in the USA... from there, if time permits, stop in Deadwood, SD and see all the sites... on your way back to DC, you'll ride through the biggest corn field you'll ever see, it's call IOWA.....

enjoy and ride safely....
    Dan P
    SPYD3R
    So America's loneliest highway is US 50. I 70 starts at Cove Fort and goes across the central lower part of Utah. The lonely part of US 50 goes across Nevada. To see Bonneville Raceway you will have go up to I 80 and enter Utah at Wendover. The road to Bingham Copper Mine is a private road and closed to motorcycles.
    Last edited by pegasus1300; 11-27-2016 at 11:08 PM.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Live, Love, and Ride! God Bless!

Spyder Garage

Default right

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    So America's loneliest highway is US 50. I 70 starts at Cove Fort and goes across the central lower part of Utah. The lonely part of US 50 goes across Nevada. To see Bonneville Raceway you will have go up to I 80 and enter Utah at Wendover. The road to Bingham Copper Mine is a private road and closed to motorcycles.
    YOU'RE RIGHT.... my bad....
    thx for the correction....
    Dan P
    SPYD3R

Very Active Member OverHillAndDale's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I'm planning on my cross country ride starting the day after I retire in May, 2020. 3.5 years and counting ... counting.... counting....
    2020- RT Limited
    Chalk White, Can-Am rear passenger armrests, Comfort Seat, Grip puppies, RAM Cup Holders, Providence RAM Mount
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Big Bike Parts wiring harness
    Permanent Smile!!!

Very Active Member Buckeye Bleau's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I finally gave up the post retirement consulting and busy jobs, in September, I AM RETIRED.

I would be very interested in taking part in such an adventure, if you came across following roads along 80 or 90, we could proceed west.
    Maybe plan it for stops at things like Spyderfest and such. Good planning could make it very interesting.

Joe
    U.S. Army Viet Nam Era Vet
    2013 Spyder RT-L, Black Currant
    Trunk mount dual SS flag holder
    TricLed foam hand grips (awesome)
    Chromed Soaring Eagle License Holder
    Utopia Deluxe driver backrest
    LED fender lighting
    Fast Flash LED brake light
    Spyder Pops LED/skid plate

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by OverHillAndDale View Post
    I'm planning on my cross country ride starting the day after I retire in May, 2020. 3.5 years and counting ... counting.... counting....
    We are somewhat on the same time line. I will not be fully retired, but hopefully I will be comfortable enough to take a month or so off work. I also would like to plan a trip through the lower parts of Canada and Alaska. My goal is to do this while I am in good enough shape to enjoy the ride. I have an older friend who is retired and ready to go now, but I am still recovering from sending my youngest through college. Hopefully I will have recoverd in a couple of years and be ready to go.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Default 2017

For those guys that want to head out this summer lets go. There is no time like the present. This up coming summer would be okay as retirement has arrived and I am telling you its a good feeling. a little boring at times but all I have to do is go to the shop and look at the bike and I am good. just thinking of where to next. if any one want to do a cross country ride this up coming summer count me in. I am heading west the first week in august any way...so this would fit right in...

Spyder Garage

Default Donde

Made the trip from east to west a couple of times and found that the best sights begin at Denver. I now trailer to the Denver A/P, leave my car and trailer there and continue the best sightseeing by bike. The eastern states are too crowded and be seen just as well from a car.

Spyder Garage

QUOTE=Buckeye Bleau;1204999]I finally gave up the post retirement consulting and busy jobs, in September, I AM RETIRED.

I would be very interested in taking part in such an adventure, if you came across following roads along 80 or 90, we could proceed west.
    Maybe plan it for stops at things like Spyderfest and such. Good planning could make it very interesting.

Joe[/QUOTE]

That sounds good We should talk and see what can be work out with motel etc. etc

Spyder Garage

Default I'm throwing my hat in the ring.

I retire in two days! November 30th is my last day working. Although, I'll be on the payroll till January 27th taking a little vacation time. I'm really looking forward to this new phase of my life. Over the last 35+ years the most time off I've had at one time was two weeks. This should be fun.

I have my map and making plans for 2017.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

I looking to travel if all goes good July or August 2017. Just like to see who would like to go and set up meeting places. Get things set up for motels etc, etc. To make sure we have all the money we need.
    I would be looking for a couple of weeks something like that. We could always camp to.
    you interested pm me. This is the first time I would do anything like this.

Spyder Garage

Retirement stay active, maybe volunteer in your local community. Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

Default HEAT/HOT

Quote Originally Posted by marinespyder View Post
    I looking to travel if all goes good July or August 2017. Just like to see who would like to go and set up meeting places. Get things set up for motels etc, etc. To make sure we have all the money we need.
    I would be looking for a couple of weeks something like that. We could always camp to.
    you interested pm me. This is the first time I would do anything like this.
    KEEP IN MIND MARINE, THAT JULY & AUGUST ARE HOT, HOT, HOT......
    I STRONGLY RECOMMEND GET'n YOURSELF A 'WET-VEST' SUCH AS THIS ONE; https://www.cyclegear.com/gear/fly-cooling-vest

THIS VEST WAS A LIFE-SAVER FOR BOTH MYSELF AND MY RIDING PARTNER WHILE CROSSING THE COUNTRY THE PAST FEW YEARS...
    DON'T TAKE THIS SUGGESTION LIGHTLY.... BETTER TO HAVE IT AND NOT NEED IT, THAT TO NEED IT AND NOT HAVE IT.... CHEAP MONEY FOR MAXIMUM HEAT PROTECTION...
    ANOTHER SUGGESTION; STAY HYDRATED... ALWAYS KEEP A BOTTLE OF WATER WITH YOU.... IT MAY GET WARM (HOT ACTUALLY), BUT IT'S BETTER THAN NO WATER....
    BEST OF LUCK ON YOUR X-COUNTRY RIDE... KEEP US POSTED, WE CARE....
    DAN P
    SPYD3R

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MOSESS View Post
    For those guys that want to head out this summer lets go. There is no time like the present. This up coming summer would be okay as retirement has arrived and I am telling you its a good feeling. a little boring at times but all I have to do is go to the shop and look at the bike and I am good. just thinking of where to next. if any one want to do a cross country ride this up coming summer count me in. I am heading west the first week in august any way...so this would fit right in...

where are you heading to out west and how long will you be gone? Have you decide what route you be going? Sorry for all the question. This is the first time I ever thought of doing something like this. Just taking into the fact the motels and all.