Spyder Garage

Default Changing Handlebars

Hi all,
    I have a 2009 GS with the 1" riser block. I was wondering if anyone has changed to different handlebars as the angle of the bars is uncomfortable on long rides. I know the cover would not work with aftermarket bars, but would this even be feasible? Thanks.

Blue = Can-Am Spyder or 2 wheels
    Green = 2 wheels
    Pink = 4 wheels and trips by air

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Njspeedmaster View Post
    Hi all,
    I have a 2009 GS with the 1" riser block. I was wondering if anyone has changed to different handlebars as the angle of the bars is uncomfortable on long rides. I know the cover would not work with aftermarket bars, but would this even be feasible? Thanks.
    I can remember seeing a picture posted a while ago of a GS with ape hangers so it's definitely possible to swap them.

I did play around with the idea of putting ace bars on mine for a lower, more forward position (clip-ons where obviously out of the question as no forks:-)). From memory under the cover there's a conventional bar clamp - though possibly a 3 bolt design in the middle rather than 2 separate clamps, can't remember now. The only problem is it all looks pig ugly with the cover removed, however a bit of ingenuity would probably hide that up.

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default I did it to mine

I can send you pictures
    my bars are 5 inches higher and back
    4.5 inches for an upright position
    feel free to call me 209-887-3283
    I still have mine and ride most every day
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Njspeedmaster View Post
    Hi all,

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PistonBlown View Post
    I can remember seeing a picture posted a while ago of a GS with ape hangers so it's definitely possible to swap them..
    You have only to ask...

Xpeschon's Ape-Hangers.jpgXpeschon's Bike.jpg
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Helibar risers http://www.hotspyderaccessories.com/...ser-2008-2012/ worked fine for us. No cutting of the stock bar required. Brought it back 4in and up 1in. The stock cables had enough length to work without replacement. All I had to do was cut some cable ties to allow for extra slack.

If you combine that with the stock riser block, it'll bring it back further, but cable length might be an issue then. This method allows me to return the Spyder to stock if the next owner desired.
    Last edited by asp125; 11-28-2016 at 04:29 PM.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

I know this is an old thread but I am working on making a 2010 RS my own. I'm curious what you guys used for mounting the bars, what you did for the key and so on. If you can post some pics that would be cool, but I also understand this is a 6 yr old thread...
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-24-2022 at 12:50 PM. Reason: Caps