Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Buying my first Spyder--> Some questions . . .

I have been riding since 1961 and currently own a Hot Rod Valkyrie- BUT - I just turned 69 yrs. and have bad knees and weak hands.

Therefor- I have decided I need a 3 wheeler and the Spyder looks like the superior choice.

I think I have decided on an F3 and I am looking for a DEAL... I will have one by the end of January. After all these years on Bikes I know the best time to buy New or Used is in Dec.and Jan.- so I am on a Mission
    ------
    My questions
    1- I am undecided on which Transmission though I am leaning towards the 6 speed Manual since Auto.Transmissions are more complicated and therefor have more places you can have trouble.
    *What is the 'Real World' reliability of both transmissions?

2- I know there are alot of 2015 - 2016 'Left Overs' around...
    *Anyone have any tips on dealers anywhere in US offering Killer Deals on any of these Left Overs?
    *What are the differences in the 2015 - 2016 - 2017 F3??
    *I am also interested in Used- anybody know of any for sale???

3- Is the B.E.S.T. Extended 3 yr. Warranty worth the price?
    *Where can I find the best price for this.
    -------------

Thanx in advance for any help you can give me.
    sturgisrun
    1999 Cream/Yellow Valkyrie-Milled Heads / Polished Ports / 18"Cherry bomb glass Packs in 4" Truck Stacks / Champion Fiberglass Hard Bags / InterstateFuel Tank / 125HP-115Ft.Lbs.
    2010 Infiniti G37x Coupe-Everything done except a Blower / Dynoed / 399HP
    2006 Freightliner Sprinter Van
    Last edited by sturgisrun; 11-26-2016 at 11:56 AM.

Spyder Garage

Since you noted that you have weak hands I would highly recommend the SE6. The paddles are easy to use and barring the need to activate the clutch give you the same ability to choose your gear. It will downshift on its own but I never let it. I always downshift it myself and enjoy the rev matching. I'm not sure about issues with the auto but would highly recommend getting the BEST warranty.

Enjoy the hunt,
    Tommy

Spyder Garage

I agree weak hands go with the SE. There is no clutch assist on a F3 manual. Not like there is on a RT.

The SE is not a automatic transmission in the conventional sense. The gearboxes are basically identical on SM and SE models. The mechanics that control the gearbox and clutch are different. Very reliable either way.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Default 3 X

have have 3 pieces of advise:
    1. SE6
    2. SE6
    &
    3. SE6......
    join the crowd my very best new friend.... average age of a SPYD3R rider is in the mid-60's, and most of us have physical issues... don't make life any more difficult than it already is for yourself... the SE6 transmission is the SAME transmission as the manual, except the SE has a module that shifts the tranny when you press the button... and as far as issues, they are few and far between...
    as for deals... shop around, try the various motorcycle website, such as WOW in Atlanta... http://www.wowmotorcycles.com/ they have some fantastic deals on used rides... as for the extended warrantee... all depends on your wallet and the amount of riding you do per year.... if the wallet is no issue, and you ride 10K+, i would recommend the extended version...
    whatever your choice is, ride like your stole it, but most of all, ride safely.....
    enjoy, and keep us posted on your decision... we care...
    Dan P
    SPYD3R

Spyder Garage

While the F3 doesn't have the clutch assist, it can be added for $200.
    I'd stick with the 1330 engine as the 998 V-twin Spyders are now discontinued. Less maintenance on the 1330, better engine.
    I'd narrow down what model first... F3 style or RT. Very different riding positions. Both have the same 1330 engine.
    There is basically no difference between the 2015-16-17 F3 models. If you ride two up then the F3-T would work good, but the RT is best for 2 up.
    RT may be easier to get on and off. You can still find deals on 2015 F3 models... and 2016 I'm sure as well.
    Used... problem is people want way too much for them compared to what you can buy new for.
    The 3 year BEST is a good deal... but shop around on the price.

Test drive the various models.... that will help you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

You are absolutely right! The best time is to buy in November or December during the cold seasons.

Since, it is a new design for BRP. I try not to get the first new technology unless it is tested. But that is my opinion.

1- I am undecided on which Transmission though I am leaning towards the 6 speed Manual since Auto.Transmissions are more complicated and therefor have more places you can have trouble.
    *What is the 'Real World' reliability of both transmissions? Transmission is the way to go; however, the clutch is normally hard to squeeze.

2- I know there are alot of 2015 & 2016 'Left Overs' around...
    *Anyone have any tips on dealers anywhere in US offering Killer Deals on any of these Left Overs? ANSWER: http://www.cycletrader.com/Can-Am-Fo...sc&radius=150&

*What are the differences in the 2015 - 2016 -& 2017 F3?? ANSWER: The 2015 or 2016 models are the ones to get. Unless, you prefer the 2017 Can am Spyder models S-Mode (Allows you to shut off the Nanny system so that you can drift).

*I am also interested in Used- anybody know of any for sale???

3- Is the B.E.S.T. Extended 3 yr. Warranty worth the price? ANSWER: I believe it is worth it. I prefer the F3-S, because of less electronics such as the radio and heated grips.
    *Where can I find the best price for this. I do a search on a cycle gear nationwide, and find the best deal you are looking for. I think the new models is good rather than the use ones, because you are the operator; therefore, your the one that broke it in. But that is MY opinion. I heard that IMO or EGRS is good, and I am still figuring what that is or what the Warranty consist of.

Here is a website about the Can Am Spyder, and I thought you might want to enjoy:

Spyder Garage

All good questions and most can be answered by a good test drive. It's going to be up to you--depending on your likes, dislikes, and budget.

RE: Semi auto vs. manual--most of us prefer the semi auto. It will cost $1500 or so more initially. No advantage mileage wise. Shifting ease is what most like.

There is very little difference between 2015, 2016, and 2017. The 1330-three cylinder technology is well broken in since 2014. No issues with mine.

I recommend zeroing in on model and type of transmission. Then you can begin the hunt for best deal.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I would suggest taking a test ride on the different models, it completely change my thoughts on which model I purchased.

Spyder Garage

Fun getting old right, my hip went out and got a F3S 2015 love it. You have a semi sport bike now so I would go with the SE trans. saw them on the drag strip much faster than a clutch. The newer F3 has some more goodies, i.e. trailer hitch factory built in bags, ect. I did not like the BRP bags for 2015 so I put Harley bags on mine and F4 windshield. The Can Am is the way to go for three wheels much safer on curves, our dealer threw the Best warranty in the deal. I pick my dealer on the service they have and might pay more upfront but get it on the other end with great service. Enjoy the shopping find one you like, Jim

Spyder Garage

Great thought to try both the SE6 and SM6 and see what you like. I went with the SE6 because of the ease of use, I control shifting, and I never have to hold in a clutch lever or worry about my left foot having another task. I do not miss a clutch in any way shape or form (after 42 years with two wheel bikes). My advice is to go with the F3S because of the cruise control for the basics, or the F3T for the more integrated tour ready package. The cost of maintaining any of the F3 models is the same and less than the old 991 based Sypders. My dealer services a couple of the 2015 F3S units with about 60K on them and no problems yet. Happy hunting.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I agree, auto all the way. I'm 61 and it's great not having a clutch to engage thru traffic. Left foot can tap to the music!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk