Thread: Battery life???

Spyder Garage

Default Battery life???

How much battery life is normal on an RT? I just replaced the battery on mine in Jan. or Feb. Gets ridden almost every day. Have probably put 15 to 16k on it since. Now the battery is feeling is so weak that I had to put a charger on it yesterday. Had just ridden the day before for at least an hour. Current battery was installed by the dealer. Any stronger battery recommendations?
    2013 RT Limited with 36k on it. I bought it used with 15k.
    BTW, the only extra lights I have are extra led tail lights.
    Thanks,
    Pat

Spyder Garage

Are you using a factory battery? Cheap batteries are a "get what ya paid for" kinda thing.
    Wife has a 2014 ST-L
    2014 ST Limited , Silver Platinum Satin

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GearHd View Post
    Are you using a factory battery? Cheap batteries are a "get what ya paid for" kinda thing.
    Yep, dealer installed factory battery. Doc says to make them check it out since it's less than a year old. He told me even a stock battery should last at last at least 3 years.
    We'll see.
    Pat

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The 998 engine does not have a super strong charging system. Most here keep them on a maintainer when not riding. I use the Deltran Battery Tender Jr. Also check and make sure your connections are clean and tight, test that the charging system is working, the battery is in good condition with a load test and you are running the engine in the 5000 rpm range. Just changed my original on our 2012 RT for no reason (peace of mind?) and it still load tested well.
    Last edited by Highwayman2013; 11-25-2016 at 08:08 AM.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The OEM Yuasa is actually a pretty darn good battery. You should easily get three or more years out of one; depending on how the bike is ridden; of course!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

If the bike is mechanically sound, the biggest killer of batteries is failure to properly activate one. When you purchased the battery, did they pull it off a shelf and get you on your way quickly? Did the dealer check your bike to ensure that it was charging before installing the new battery?

Clifford Fargason
    2013 Spyder RTL
    2007 Royal Star Venture

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Ghost View Post
    If the bike is mechanically sound, the biggest killer of batteries is failure to properly activate one. When you purchased the battery, did they pull it off a shelf and get you on your way quickly? Did the dealer check your bike to ensure that it was charging before installing the new battery?
    Truth is I don't know. I had the bike in for repair of something else when I had it replaced.

Spyder Garage

I have a 2013rtl, over 50,ooo miles, only on tender during winter months, when not riding. No issues. I run, gps, phone and ipod, plus led bump skid no issues.

Spyder Garage

I am still running the original battery in our 2011 (Purchased new in 2012). 23K miles. Battery tender put on each winter season. The battery is going to get changed out next riding season. I have pushed my luck, but am not going to extend it. When the battery does decide to croak, it always does it at the most inconvenient time and place--as in Murphy's Law.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default BATTERY LIFE

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Ghost View Post
    & ..... I have a friend who has batteries last for 10 + years .... He has always bought NEW ... and filled them himself ..... and did the initial charge .... As Mr. Ghost said it's all about properly activating the battery ............ Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    & ..... I have a friend who has batteries last for 10 + years .... He has always bought NEW ... and filled them himself ..... and did the initial charge .... As Mr. Ghost said it's all about properly activating the battery ............ Mike
    Doesn't that involve putting it on a "Trickle-charger/Battery-Maintainer" overnight?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Float charger

Or "battery maintainer" all of the off season ( if you have one). Letting a battery go to a low voltage will cause it to sulfate ---- the death of your battery. Most here use a Deltran maintainer but I'm sure other brands may work just as well.
    Kaos
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Doesn't that involve putting it on a "Trickle-charger/Battery-Maintainer" overnight?
    The battery always comes with instructions for activating. You need to have a charger that will supply the correct amperage. I have a Genius 3500 that works well for that.

Clifford Fargason
    2013 Spyder RTL
    2007 Royal Star Venture

Spyder Garage

Default Charging F3-S

I was using a battery tender for my battery, and I have not started it up for a few weeks. I bought this bike as of December 1, 2016. My curiosity is that when I removed the battery tender to do some modifications on my bike. I noticed the connector that is connected to the battery had a green light. About 10 minutes later, I noticed the connector on the bike was red. As I placed my battery tender it had a low voltage. Is this normal during winter seasons? The temperature during the day is at 55 degrees at night normally average at 37 degrees at night. Do I need to replace a new battery?
    Last edited by ussoldier; 12-26-2016 at 03:36 AM.

Spyder Garage

How would check to see if there is a load on the battery when the bike is off? I replaced my battery and want to make sure I don't have a short or open circuit.
    NEW 2016 RT-S Special Series Triple Black - ready for new toys to add
    OLD 2012 RT-S Pure Magnesium Metalic CB-Navigation-XM, Sway bar, Ultimate Tallboy

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

As I have said before, I change my batteries every three years, regardless of their "life". I ride in remote west Texas sometimes, with no cell service, etc. Don't need a battery problem. When I finish preparing the battery, I charge it for 24 hours as directed but also if "off the shelf from a dealer" as they are usually around 80% charged......I use a maintainer plugged in most of the time. Works for me.

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA
    If you have not been to Luckenbach, your journey is not complete.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cmar157 View Post
    How would check to see if there is a load on the battery when the bike is off? I replaced my battery and want to make sure I don't have a short or open circuit.
    You would need a DC ammeter to do that and wait until everything has totally shut down before measuring.

Clifford Fargason
    2013 Spyder RTL
    2007 Royal Star Venture