Spyder Garage

Default Question for the group

Having been fighting back pain for the last several months I've decided to have surgery as recommended by my doctor. Having a 3 level spinal laminectomy. Just wondering if anyone has had similar issues and how long it was before they could ride again? Thanks.

Blue = Can-Am Spyder or 2 wheels
    Green = 2 wheels
    Pink = 4 wheels and trips by air

Spyder Garage

Default I too, suffer

Been living with back pain in the L and S regions of my back for 17 years. I have done everything in my power to avoid surgery. My mom had issues with hers and regrets ever having surgery. I take two Aleve every night and sleep with a pillow between my knees. This works for me unless I get out and try to act like I'm 30 again.

Spyder Garage

i think it depends on you and how quick you heal up. from what I have read it can be about 90 days or so. just follow your DR's orders and keep walking once you are up and about. give your body a chance to heal

dreading the news I may get next week so I may be right behind you.
    2015 RT Limited Intense Red Pearl

Spyder Garage

I had an l4&5 fusion with titanium rods. Marrow came from holes drilled in hips.
    Opened up belly to graft from front. Then opened up back & grafted there.
    2 - 3 months of hell.
    8 more recovery. (Walked trails in State parks for hours.

Then came a brand new life!
    18 years ago & going strong at 62 years young.
    I do take an esi shot once & while when the nerves get edgy. Like if I cut down a tree.

Have ran into several people with not as good success but I could not hardly walk, sleep, etc.PAIN!
    So I always so take your faith & go for it!!!

I love R&R put another dime in the jukebox baby!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Njspeedmaster View Post
    Having been fighting back pain for the last several months I've decided to have surgery as recommended by my doctor. Having a 3 level spinal laminectomy. Just wondering if anyone has had similar issues and how long it was before they could ride again? Thanks.
    man sorry for you folks having this problem ! question if I might , " did this back pain start around the same time line you received your spyder " ? and your back pain " is it local pain or discomfort right at or just below the rib cage , both sides ' ? like the lumbar area in your back ? the reason I mention this is , myself , I have noticed from just riding the spyder for over 2 or 3 hours my back is sore , from the " slump " position I seem too sit at , I have too remember too sit -up straight " force myself too do that " on the 2 wheeler , I have more of a laid back sitting position and the body is more relaxed in the back , but my legs on the 2 wheeler , stay tense , I am not sure why on the needing too stay tense on a nice ride on a great day , I guess mentally I am ready for deer or other animals too jump out in front of me ! { but back too the back issue ----- before operation ---- have your doctor try muscle relaxers , or have you tried this already ? the wife has been on super meds for lower back pain and the relaxers , have giving her a new life than the one with the super meds ... } just my thinking only , something that might help ! hope you get back too feeling better my friend !

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Had numb lower left leg and upper part of leg was like aconstant cramp. No strength in it, couldn't hold my weight much less the weight of the bike.
    Had L4 and L5 ruptured disc.
    Surgery on 2-11-13 . All pain and loss of strength gone immediately, was up walking Tuesday, 1/2 day at work Wednesday, then back to full time.
    Drove from MI to TN for a family reunion 3 weeks later, started riding again in April.
    Yes I still have occasional back pain when I do something stupid that I shouldn't do, but never in the same place or way as before.
    4 wonderful rising seasons later and the last two on a Spyder. I am
    SO glad I had it done.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

My wife had her bottom 3 vertebrae fused 30 years ago and it was 9 months. She had the next 3 fused 1 1/2 years ago and those 3 were fused to the bottom 3. It was 5 months before she was semi normal but she pushed herself and did a lot of walking and the Dr was amazed at her recovery. She will never be 100% and she has to be careful or it will work its way up the back. We tried riding 2 wheels after 6 months and decided it was time for 3 wheels and we love it and she is comfortable on it. I need surgery for spinal stenosis and he said about 6-8 weeks recovery. I also need a knee replacement and a total shoulder replacement (don't know which to do 1st). All I know is nothing will keep me off of my Spyder. Good Luck. Mike
    2014 RT Limited Matte Silver, Belt Guard, RT Dash Mount, Show Chrome Can-Am Spyder RT Passenger Arm Rest, Show Chrome Full Size Brake Pedal,Best shop manual, Spyder keycover with hole, Utopia drivers backrest, Showchrome trailor hitch, ShowChrome Acc Trailer Acc Rack, 2014 CA Spyder RT-RTS Master Collection-HDSv5, Airhawk Cushion, Spyderpops bumpskid, Ipod cable, Led lights, Driver Hiway pegs, Shorty Antenna, Pin Striping, ECU flash, TriAx adjustible handlebars,
    Will it ever stop--NO

Spyder Garage

I've worked with back patients in physical therapy. I've worked with a few that were up and about the day following surgery, and you wouldn't know they had surgery. Then, there are those that I've worked with in outpatient physical therapy that seem to keep coming back. Some are glad they had back surgery, and there are those that wish they never had the surgery. Like someone said, everybody is different. I have a brother that wishes he never had his 1st, 2nd, or 3rd back surgery. Ask you doctor what he thinks the time frame will be.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've never had such severe back issues, but my brother is in constant pain and is on disability from ruptured disks. his doc says it's a 50/50 proposition whether surgery would help. so he continues to suffer.

Let us know about your progress. I'll pray for your quick recovery.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

I had a discectomy and laminectomy on my L3 and L4 over 20 years ago. It was over 3 months before I was able to do much of anything. A lot's going to depend on your doctor and how your body heals.

But for me, it was well worth it!!
    Phil

I may be old, but I got to see all the cool bands.

2011 Spyder RT-AC

Spyder Garage

I have 7" rods in my lower back, my back will probably always bother me at times. I ride my Spyder on long trips, and my back is fine with it. I wonder if I could deduct the cost of the Spyder as "therapy".

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by youngers View Post
    man sorry for you folks having this problem ! question if I might , " did this back pain start around the same time line you received your spyder " ? and your back pain " is it local pain or discomfort right at or just below the rib cage , both sides ' ? like the lumbar area in your back ? the reason I mention this is , myself , I have noticed from just riding the spyder for over 2 or 3 hours my back is sore , from the " slump " position I seem too sit at , I have too remember too sit -up straight " force myself too do that " on the 2 wheeler , I have more of a laid back sitting position and the body is more relaxed in the back , but my legs on the 2 wheeler , stay tense , I am not sure why on the needing too stay tense on a nice ride on a great day , I guess mentally I am ready for deer or other animals too jump out in front of me ! { but back too the back issue ----- before operation ---- have your doctor try muscle relaxers , or have you tried this already ? the wife has been on super meds for lower back pain and the relaxers , have giving her a new life than the one with the super meds ... } just my thinking only , something that might help ! hope you get back too feeling better my friend !
    Had nothing to do with the Spyder, it's arthritic stenosis. Affects my walking, had no issues or pain while riding. Have tried PT, muscle relaxers, epidurals, and have been on pain meds. Need to try something else. Thanks for the good wishes.

Blue = Can-Am Spyder or 2 wheels
    Green = 2 wheels
    Pink = 4 wheels and trips by air

Spyder Garage

Pray for entire team working on you and go get help!
    My wife and I both did.
    See above

I love R&R put another dime in the jukebox baby!

Very Active Member tofriendscreek's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I've endured varying degrees of lower back pain most of my 6 decades due to a childhood affliction. Over the years I've tried a cornucopia of mess and procedures, short of surgery, with minimal results. About a year ago, an Ortho doc suggested a topical script for a product called Pennsaid. I use it 2x per day and it has helped significantly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2022 Plasma Red, F3 Limited, Special Series