Spyder Garage

Default Remeinder.. That "parking" brake - really isn't.

I really a "Brake" - brake. ca-am dirt road 3.jpg

Spyder Garage

Default Yikes...!!

If your going to park like that it will not much matter... not a good road for belt drives....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This may just be the time when the term, "Parking Break" applies!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

very poor photo shop
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Many brands View Post
    And the point of this post is what?
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    If your going to park like that it will not much matter... not a good road for belt drives....
    People keep saying that, but there are plenty of examples of belt drive bikes that survive dirt roads just fine. Is the Spyder particularly delicate?
    Jim

2013 ST-S (wife's)
    2015 BMW R1200GS (mine)
    1981 Yamaha XS400 Scrambler Custom (mine)

Spyder Garage

Only if you get a rock between the belt and one of the sprocket's. New belts are $360, not sure about

sprockets.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
    People keep saying that, but there are plenty of examples of belt drive bikes that survive dirt roads just fine. Is the Spyder particularly delicate?
    The length of the belt, and it's lowness to the ground DOES make it a bit more susceptible to picking up road debris...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Many brands View Post

Really, I cant move mine when my parking brake is engaged.

Spyder Garage

Mine works pretty well, I've parked in some fairly steep parking lots. And, I live on a dirt/gravel road that is about a mile to my house from the paved road. I go up and down it almost daily and have for the past year with no troubles, and don't hesitate riding on dirt roads and across fields if I want.

David

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you were?

Spyder Garage

The Spyder is no different than any other drive belt equipped motorcycle. The belt is just as reliable and rugged and not likely to be damaged by gravel. No matter how much the fear mongers keep repeating that it is. Sure it can be damaged by a stone. A couple times a year someone posts just that, out of the 22,000 plus members on this board. So please curb the irrational fears. I drive a couple hundred miles on gravel every year and have yet to see any damage. I have several friends that do the same and no problems ether. Last year I was into a large Spyder dealership. I asked the service manager how many belts he has had to change because of damage from gravel. He said 1. Also added that the damage was so minor that it was recommended to the owner not to change it out. The owner decided to change it anyway. The exception to this is fresh tar and chip. The fresh tar glues the gravel to the sprockets. Grinding away on the belt. That should be avoided because failure is almost guaranteed.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Default weak brake

Quote Originally Posted by Tazzel View Post
    Really, I cant move mine when my parking brake is engaged.
    Mine is not much of a parking brake. It is fine on level ground but on a slope I don't trust it. I have adjusted it and will check it out again soon.
    Happy Spyderlovers

Spyder Garage

Which is better, the electric or foot parking brake?
    Jim

2013 ST-S (wife's)
    2015 BMW R1200GS (mine)

Spyder Garage

JVB, the 'park brake' units use the same devices (ie, the actual callipers, pads, & discs) & the mechanical components will make them 'grip' equally as hard once they are activated; so there is no real difference at all if the component/s between your foot/the switch & the brake applying either is/are working properly..... and they both work on an ON or OFF basis.

So if your park brake isn't working properly, either your rear brake calliper/pads aren't working properly (which means you'll have a dodgy application of the rear foot brake too) or your 'actuation device' (pedal or switch solenoid etc) isn't working properly!! Either or both actuation devices working correctly should mean your rear wheel won't move much at all once the park brake is set to on!!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-23-2016 at 05:27 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

They are both just different versions of the same song...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    JVB, the 'park brake' units use the same devices (ie, the actual callipers, pads, & discs) & the mechanical components will make them 'grip' equally as hard once they are activated; so there is no real difference at all if the component/s between your foot/the switch & the brake applying either is/are working properly..... and they both work on an ON or OFF basis.

So if your park brake isn't working properly, either your rear brake calliper/pads aren't working properly (which means you'll have a dodgy application of the rear foot brake too) or your 'actuation device' (pedal or switch solenoid etc) isn't working properly!! Either or both actuation devices working correctly should mean your rear wheel won't move much at all once the park brake is set to on!!

Thanks. Mine is working fine, I was just curious if there were differences, or adjustments.
    Jim

2013 ST-S (wife's)
    2015 BMW R1200GS (mine)

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by StanProff View Post
    Mine is not much of a parking brake. It is fine on level ground but on a slope I don't trust it. I have adjusted it and will check it out again soon.
    What year is your Spyder? The 2014 models had a problem with the parking brake motor developing slack between the shaft and pulley. Mine was replaced under warranty during Spyderfest last spring. It quit holding altogether. Adjusting didn't help.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

mmmmm , now how about , parking brake , plus put it in first gear , when you cut the machine off ?

Very Active Member Buckeye Bleau's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    The Spyder is no different than any other drive belt equipped motorcycle. The belt is just as reliable and rugged and not likely to be damaged by gravel. No matter how much the fear mongers keep repeating that it is. Sure it can be damaged by a stone. A couple times a year someone posts just that, out of the 22,000 plus members on this board. So please curb the irrational fears. I drive a couple hundred miles on gravel every year and have yet to see any damage. I have several friends that do the same and no problems ether. Last year I was into a large Spyder dealership. I asked the service manager how many belts he has had to change because of damage from gravel. He said 1. Also added that the damage was so minor that it was recommended to the owner not to change it out. The owner decided to change it anyway. The exception to this is fresh tar and chip. The fresh tar glues the gravel to the sprockets. Grinding away on the belt. That should be avoided because failure is almost guaranteed.
    BRAVO, another advocate for the positives of the Spyder.
    We will not let the whiners bring us down!

Joe
    U.S. Army Viet Nam Era Vet
    2013 Spyder RT-L, Black Currant
    Trunk mount dual SS flag holder
    TricLed foam hand grips (awesome)
    Chromed Soaring Eagle License Holder
    Utopia Deluxe driver backrest
    LED fender lighting
    Fast Flash LED brake light
    Spyder Pops LED/skid plate

Spyder Garage

I live on a dirt road so there's no avoiding it. I check the belt for rocks, or whatever may get in there. A few years ago, I was riding in Canada. Many of their roads are dirt. People there drive fast, very fast on these roads. In Canada I saw many Spyders, duh yea since that's where they come from. People definitely love their Spyders there. The dirt roads did not slow them down. They were passing me like I was standing still, so I picked up the speed. I did it slowly for fear I'd slide off. They have nice dirt roads, looked like something is mixed with the dirt though. Not like this road I live on, where I can barely go 5 MPH without bouncing off the bike.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by youngers View Post
    mmmmm , now how about , parking brake , plus put it in first gear , when you cut the machine off ?
    Hydraulic clutch on SE models is not engaged when stopped.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    I am very quick to agree with this. Actually this applies to all vehicles. Tar and chip got on my truck. I had to travel on it for 2 or three miles. Must have added 100's of pounds and impossible to get off from many areas such as inside of bumpers.