Spyder Garage

Default Nedd a 12 Volt Hookup by the Seat

Hey guys ordered some heated gear and need to make a hookup to the battery but the battery is like 6 feet from the seat - The question is; Is there a 12 volt hookup closer to the seat or under the cluster that would support a 15 amp draw?

Thanks In Advance

(Sorry for the spelling) LOl
    Military Drone Designer & Pilot
    www.rotory.com

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Isn't there a spot to find power, that's hidden underneath the passenger's seat?
    (Don't own one; but I've heard folks talking...)
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My heated vest hooks up to plug we added to the customer accessory circuit hiding under the little safety card panel, on left - drilled a hole in the panel for the waterproof plug. Looks neat and works well. F3s.

I would love to know whether I can hook a usb up to the wires under the foglight button on the f3 s dash. Would this work? Would be handy for gps...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default DIY

I bought a long battery tender lead from our local Cycle Gear store. I cut it half, made it about 4' long (+ or - a few of inches), installed two battery connectors on one end and the other end already had an SAE connector. On the positive lead near the battery connector I spliced in a fuse holder. I removed the left body panels and snaked the wire up to under the seat and it came out near the gas cap. Zip tied the wire in several locations to keep it from moving around. Under the seat there is about 16"s of wire that can be brought out (w/o crushing it) for easy connection access next to the glove box. Mostly I use it for running two sets of heated clothing. I've used it on occasion to charge my cell phone when I'm using it for a turn-by-turn navigation.
    Last edited by 2dogs; 11-21-2016 at 03:53 PM.

Spyder Garage

Powerlet jacks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mark in GA

2014 Cognac Spyder RT Limited - SOLD
    2014 Cognac RT-622 Trailer - SOLD
    2014 RT Limited , Stock Cognac

Spyder Garage

Default 12volt

Did about the same thing 2dogs did and it only took a couple hours and that included the turn signal indicators on the mirrors.
    Spyder Farkels and eagles 001.jpg Spyder Farkels and eagles 003.jpg Spyder Farkels and eagles 010.jpg Spyder Farkels and eagles 015.jpg Spyder Farkels and eagles 004.jpg
    2014 RTL , Black Currant

Spyder Garage

I noticed the same thing when I went to hook up my heated gear. There is a wire running from the positive terminal of the battery to the alternator. To make the standard lead work, I tapped into this wire near the alternator.
    2015 Can Am Spyder RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Sorry, missed this pic.

Mark in GA

Spyder Garage

Default kept it simple

hooked directly to the battery with factory cord [gerbing] purchased extension cord from ebay pull it out of the frunk when needed and leave it curled in the bottom when not

Spyder Garage

Both of the Powerlet jacks above are wired separately and directly to the battery with an inline 15A fuse. Requires removing tupperware to route the wires and place the fuse holders where you can get to them if need be.
    Mark in GA

Very Active Member armyspydervet's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdleUp View Post
    Hey guys ordered some heated gear and need to make a hookup to the battery but the battery is like 6 feet from the seat - The question is; Is there a 12 volt hookup closer to the seat or under the cluster that would support a 15 amp draw?

Thanks In Advance

(Sorry for the spelling) LOl

There are three accessory circuits. One up by the battery, second under the left panel with the twist knob, it's hard to find, but it's there. The last and easiest to find is under the passenger seat
    Chris

2016 F3-T SE6

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Yes, always keep it simple

Run your heated clothing directly off the battery. I used a splitter after my main lead comes out from under the seat. When not in use, the main lead stays hid under the seat. By the way, always have an extra splitter tucked in your coat pocket. Somehow they become easily misplaced. When you're somewhere out in the middle of Nevada at night, and you can't find the splitter for you and your wife's heated jackets, it can be a long cold miserable ride to find another one.

Spyder Garage

Heated gear has a relatively high current draw. That's why it needs to connect directly to the battery.

Mark in GA

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I already had an SAE connector for the battery tender so I just bought an extension cable and ran it up under the seat

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

I noticed the tech at our local dealership hooks the leads to the alternator under upper side panel on left side of bike. We needed to change a fuse on s friends bike at Red Rock Rally and found the plastic needed to be removed. If I used that location I would make sure fuse location was easier to get to. I realize that the fuses should be as close to connection point as possible, though.
    2015 an Am Spyder RT Limited
    2013 Yamaha WR250R - Sold
    2011 Can Am Spyder RT-S SE5 Limited - Sold
    2011 Aspen Sentry Trailer
    2003 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2007 Unigo Trailer - Sold
    2001 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2001 Honda 750 NightHawk - sold
    2015 RT Ltd , Canamspyderaccessories Brake pedal ext. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by loisk View Post
    My heated vest hooks up to plug we added to the customer accessory circuit hiding under the little safety card panel, on left - drilled a hole in the panel for the waterproof plug. Looks neat and works well. F3s.

I would love to know whether I can hook a usb up to the wires under the foglight button on the f3 s dash. Would this work? Would be handy for gps...
    I did that with the plug for the rear air bag (the ST doesn't have air suspension). I just checked the wires in the plug for switched 12 volts and used them.

Each plug blank has a plug with wires under it. I chose, no surprise, the black and red wires.
    Last edited by JimVonBaden; 11-22-2016 at 11:21 AM.
    Jim

2013 ST-S (wife's)
    2015 BMW R1200GS (mine)
    1981 Yamaha XS400 Scrambler Custom (mine)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by armyspydervet View Post
    There are three accessory circuits. One up by the battery, second under the left panel with the twist knob, it's hard to find, but it's there. The last and easiest to find is under the passenger seat
    What does the one under the left panel look like, colors?
    2014 Spyder RT Limited, Lees-sure Excell camper, Aluma MCTXL Trailer