Results 1 to 25 of 25
  1. #1
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Central Valley, Ca
    Posts
    152
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default Road Trip to DEALERS in California (Disappointed)

    I decided to take a 2-day road trip to Northern California and southern part of the Central Valley. Here is my assessment.

    I was planning to buy a Can-Am Spyder in cash. I was informed the best time to buy a motorcycle is in November and December during the cold seasons.

    1. Elk Grove: I was informed by the dealer they are the ONLY dealership for BRP Platinum Certified in California. They do not price match from other states ONLY within California. I actually did my dealings with them, but the price is too expensive for the out-the-door price in August. Based off Yelp, the dealer was not willing to give up to a lower price, which is under $20,000. However, the service and parts department are great. I did communicate the dealer, based off my price match. I was informed that the 2016 F3-S model had to be at the other dealer. I could not provide my dealer information to other dealers (Not yet). Yet, they were not sure if I could get the BRP rate, which is $2000 off. My quote form did not have no manufacture discount or BRP discount. Plus, It would have been under $20,000. I am pretty sure the dealer would not want to go under $20,000 for the out-the-door price.

    2.
    Livermore: Did not have that much inventory Can-am Spyder. They did have the old model RS and the RS touring.

    3.
    Hayward: Huge inventory on the Can am Spyder. But, I was unable to establish a deal or communication.

    4.
    Lancaster:
    Dealer could not do the Navy Federal Credit Union or Costco due to being cheaper. I got this information from cycletrader website as the lowest deal. Still it was over $20,000 after taxes with manufacturer rebates. I also notice they manipulate the money for sale. I have two quotes from different dealers. Compared with these two dealers, Lancaster manipulate the finance.

    5.
    Bakersfield: There were only 4 Sport Touring and NO F3-S models. They will do the BRP discount after the MSRP befores taxes.

    Be happy that you are not in California. The only Can-Am Spyder F3-S is BRP Premium certified is Elk Grove, CA for the entire state of California.

    Note: The BRP Boss is the Dealer cost. The customers are unable to see this. The 2017 models get a 3-year warranty. Most dealers do not know about the Holiday Blitz which ends in January 6, 2017.

    About me: I am currently in the military, and I have never rode a motorcycle. I chose the Can-Am Spyder for their stability. I worked in the hospitals, and I saw too many accidents with motorcycles injuries including death.

    Based off the video in Long Beach, CA, they were promoting Can Am Spyder for Military Veterans and new motorcycle riders. I am a Military Veteran & newbie, but no discounts for me. I hope this helps.
    Last edited by ussoldier; 11-19-2016 at 04:49 PM.

  2. #2
    aka: akspyderman ARtraveler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    NW Arkansas
    Posts
    34,819
    Spyder Garage
    6

    Default

    An interesting run-down. Did you actually purchase a or are you still on the quest? There are a few dealers that will give a great deal and ship one to you. Post if you want their information. Help is on the way.

    Currently Owned: 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium), 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow), 2015 Vulcan 900 LTD

    Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) Pictures of 2008 and 2009 Spyders are in Alaska Albums 2009 and 2010.
    5 Spyders, 10 years, 145,375 miles


  3. #3
    aka: akspyderman ARtraveler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    NW Arkansas
    Posts
    34,819
    Spyder Garage
    6

    Default

    Check this out from IMotorsports--one of the dealers I referred to above--

    2015 F3 S with only 1713 miles. The snow started today, but we will deliver to your door nationwide.


    Currently Owned: 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium), 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow), 2015 Vulcan 900 LTD

    Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) Pictures of 2008 and 2009 Spyders are in Alaska Albums 2009 and 2010.
    5 Spyders, 10 years, 145,375 miles


  4. #4
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Bloomington, Minnesota
    Posts
    244
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Can't you buy one out of state and drive it home?

  5. #5
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Hood River, Oregon
    Posts
    78
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default Buying out of Calif

    Be careful here. Calif has some weird DMV laws about bringing used stuff into their state. Wondering why you weren't getting the military discount?
    Bob, k7xi. 2013 RTL

  6. #6
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Central Valley, Ca
    Posts
    152
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by k7xi View Post
    Be careful here. Calif has some weird DMV laws about bringing used stuff into their state. Wondering why you weren't getting the military discount?
    Honestly, I do not know. Yes, I found out California they are abide with the 50 emissions law (Don't know what that means) and other mumbo jumbo stuff. I also mentioned about the BRP Tag Event. Most of the dealers did not know about that except Elk Grove, CA. I was also told that if a dealer does not have the Can am Spyder than they would look for other dealers who who have the bike. If another dealer has one than they will ship it to the main dealer. The customer would have to pay the shipping from dealer to dealer.
    Last edited by ussoldier; 11-19-2016 at 04:48 PM.

  7. #7
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Central Valley, Ca
    Posts
    152
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Red face

    Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Check this out from IMotorsports--one of the dealers I referred to above--

    2015 F3 S with only 1713 miles. The snow started today, but we will deliver to your door nationwide.

    Thanks I prefer to have it brand new rather than a use one. I alone will do the damages and the break in to my Can Am Spyder.

  8. #8
    Very Active Member hypurone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    NorCal - Northbay
    Posts
    827
    Spyder Garage
    1

    Default

    Have you checked with these guys: http://www.funbike.com/shop/land/spyder/? I bought mine from them over the internet/phone for a great price. Granted it was a leftover new 2015 but check the link, they have some 2015's and 2016's still and they have the option to make an offer on a lot of them....

    '15 F3-S Pure Magnesium Metallic - Mad Max Edition
    '10 Chevy Camaro 2SS/RS A6 SC - The Beast

    "You Were Really Flyin', When I Passed You Back There!"

    Chuck

  9. #9
    aka: akspyderman ARtraveler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    NW Arkansas
    Posts
    34,819
    Spyder Garage
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ussoldier View Post
    Honestly, I do not know. Yes, I found out California they are abide with the 50 emissions law (Don't know what that means) and other mumbo jumbo stuff. I also mentioned about the BRP Tag Event. Most of the dealers did not know about that except Elk Grove, CA. I was also told that if a dealer does not have the Can am Spyder than they would look for other dealers who who have the bike. If another dealer has one than they will ship it to the main dealer. The customer would have to pay the shipping from dealer to dealer.
    Shipping is negotiable. How bad to they want to sell to you? Remember they need you--you don't need them.

    Currently Owned: 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium), 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow), 2015 Vulcan 900 LTD

    Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) Pictures of 2008 and 2009 Spyders are in Alaska Albums 2009 and 2010.
    5 Spyders, 10 years, 145,375 miles


  10. #10
    RT-S PE#0412 TicketBait's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Santa Monica, CA. USA
    Posts
    2,107
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    ussoldier, try this dealership which is a Spyderlovers supporter. Looks like they have 3 F3's

    http://www.bertsmegamall.com/default.asp?page=xNewInventory#page=xNewInventory& vt=motorcycle%20/%20scooter





    fly down from Fresno and ride back the 250 miles. They are the largest in So Cal.

  11. #11
    SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Linden, CA
    Posts
    3,201
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default You missed some

    You missed Lodi, they have them on the floor
    and Modesto


    Quote Originally Posted by ussoldier View Post
    I decided to take a 2-day road trip to Northern California and southern part of the Central Valley. Here is my assessment.

    I was planning to buy a Can-Am Spyder in cash. I was informed the best time to buy a motorcycle is in November and December during the cold seasons.

    1. Elk Grove: I was informed by the dealer they are the ONLY dealership for BRP Platinum Certified in California. They do not price match from other states ONLY within California. I actually did my dealings with them, but the price is too expensive for the out-the-door price in August. Based off Yelp, the dealer was not willing to give up to a lower price, which is under $20,000. However, the service and parts department are great. I did communicate the dealer, based off my price match. I was informed that the 2016 F3-S model had to be at the other dealer. I could not provide my dealer information to other dealers (Not yet). Yet, they were not sure if I could get the BRP rate, which is $2000 off. My quote form did not have no manufacture discount or BRP discount. Plus, It would have been under $20,000. I am pretty sure the dealer would not want to go under $20,000 for the out-the-door price.

    2.
    Livermore: Did not have that much inventory Can-am Spyder. They did have the old model RS and the RS touring.

    3.
    Hayward: Huge inventory on the Can am Spyder. But, I was unable to establish a deal or communication.

    4.
    Lancaster:
    Dealer could not do the Navy Federal Credit Union or Costco due to being cheaper. I got this information from cycletrader website as the lowest deal. Still it was over $20,000 after taxes with manufacturer rebates. I also notice they manipulate the money for sale. I have two quotes from different dealers. Compared with these two dealers, Lancaster manipulate the finance.

    5.
    Bakersfield: There were only 4 Sport Touring and NO F3-S models. They will do the BRP discount after the MSRP befores taxes.

    Be happy that you are not in California. The only Can-Am Spyder F3-S is BRP Premium certified is Elk Grove, CA for the entire state of California.

    Note: The BRP Boss is the Dealer cost. The customers are unable to see this. The 2017 models get a 3-year warranty. Most dealers do not know about the Holiday Blitz which ends in January 6, 2017.

    About me: I am currently in the military, and I have never rode a motorcycle. I chose the Can-Am Spyder for their stability. I worked in the hospitals, and I saw too many accidents with motorcycles injuries including death.

    Based off the video in Long Beach, CA, they were promoting Can Am Spyder for Military Veterans and new motorcycle riders. I am a Military Veteran & newbie, but no discounts for me. I hope this helps.

  12. #12
    SpyderLovers Sponsor SpyderAnn01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    12,776
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    If you are currently in the military and your home of record is not California then you would license the Spyder in your home state and would not be subject to the CA emission rules. So you could buy from wherever you get the best deal.

    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

  13. #13
    SpyderLovers Sponsor SpyderAnn01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    12,776
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    They have spent a lot of time and money promoting Spyder's in California this year but I haven't heard that they have offered any special pricing. They would love for new riders and veterans to buy new Spyders but that doesn't equate to special pricing.

    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

  14. #14
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Central Valley, Ca
    Posts
    152
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TicketBait View Post
    ussoldier, try this dealership which is a Spyderlovers supporter. Looks like they have 3 F3's

    http://www.bertsmegamall.com/default.asp?page=xNewInventory#page=xNewInventory& vt=motorcycle%20/%20scooter





    fly down from Fresno and ride back the 250 miles. They are the largest in So Cal.
    II heard bad reviews with this dealership. I was informed that Whittier, CA may have a better deal. There is a link if you search for "Reputable Dealers in Southern California."
    Last edited by ussoldier; 11-20-2016 at 03:16 AM.

  15. #15
    Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    3,286
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ussoldier View Post
    Honestly, I do not know. Yes, I found out California they are abide with the 50 emissions law (Don't know what that means) and other mumbo jumbo stuff. I also mentioned about the BRP Tag Event. Most of the dealers did not know about that except Elk Grove, CA. I was also told that if a dealer does not have the Can am Spyder than they would look for other dealers who who have the bike. If another dealer has one than they will ship it to the main dealer. The customer would have to pay the shipping from dealer to dealer.
    The dealer in Elk Grove is Elk Grove POWERSPORTS! They are the number 1 Spyder dealer in the Western US. They are the number 1 Can Am Watercraft dealer in the US. Remember they have to make money on your deal as well. We have purchased two units from them. They have dealt with us fairly on the price and they have a great service department. Forrest the service manager has taken great care of us as well even arranging for a loaner when we drop off one of the spyders for routine service. I believe the reason we have has zero issues with our motorcycles is the set up and service from this great team. Their master mechanic Larry is an expert on everything Spyder!

    So you can look the wide world over for a better price.......and that could take a very long time sooner or later you have to just BUY ONE! BTW if you buy from EGPS you get a discount on all service and parts. I can recommend this company to anyone that wants a fair deal, excellent service, and a smile when you ryde in!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

    2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

  16. #16
    Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    3,286
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    BTW, my F3 was not on the floor in Elk Grove, they found it in Escondido and had it shipped to Elk Grove! I bought on Tuesday, and was Ryding the next Monday!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

    2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

  17. #17
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Central Valley, Ca
    Posts
    152
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pirate looks at -- View Post
    The dealer in Elk Grove is Elk Grove POWERSPORTS! They are the number 1 Spyder dealer in the Western US. They are the number 1 Can Am Watercraft dealer in the US. Remember they have to make money on your deal as well. We have purchased two units from them. They have dealt with us fairly on the price and they have a great service department. Forrest the service manager has taken great care of us as well even arranging for a loaner when we drop off one of the spyders for routine service. I believe the reason we have has zero issues with our motorcycles is the set up and service from this great team. Their master mechanic Larry is an expert on everything Spyder!

    So you can look the wide world over for a better price.......and that could take a very long time sooner or later you have to just BUY ONE! BTW if you buy from EGPS you get a discount on all service and parts. I can recommend this company to anyone that wants a fair deal, excellent service, and a smile when you ryde in!
    Yes, you are right. They are the number one in Elk Grove POWERSPORTS, and they are the only with the Platinum Certificate in California. I would rather buy my parts and do my maintenance there. I am actually impressed about the loaner. Did not know that so thank you
    Last edited by ussoldier; 11-20-2016 at 03:34 PM.

  18. #18
    Registered Users
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Palm Desert
    Posts
    40
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Where's elkgrove? I live in Palm Springs and looking for a good dealership


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  19. #19
    Registered Users
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Palm Desert
    Posts
    40
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    About California law regarding buying out of state and bringing it in...DMV requires that they visualize the frame number AND the engine number. DMV will not remove body panels which along with a mirror and flashlight, is required to see the engine number. The DMV will send you to another location run by chp which will ( for a fee) obtain the number. Unfortunately here in Palm Springs the wait is three months because they are only open one day a week. The bike came from Texas which has no such requirements. The DMV was more than happy to charge me the sales tax though.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  20. #20
    Very Active Member MRH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles and Santa Ynez, CA
    Posts
    800
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Out of state purchases are a pain with CA registration, and they do need to see the engine number (or they should, I used a private company and the guy was nice enough to sign off without seeing it). It must be a 50 state model - and not all Spyders are.

    You can't expect to get the very best price one dealer will give you from another dealer. The fact that one dealer may be willing to take a loss to clear a unit from their floor doesn't mean another dealer won't require a reasonable profit from the transaction. In all cases, it's good to know what discounts to ask for, and to remember that any individual salesperson probably sells a handful of Spyders a year and may not know all the promotions.
    2014 RT-S SE6 In the ultra fast Circuit Yellow edition.

    Baja Ron Anti-Sway Bar, Race Tech Shocks, Custom Dynamics LED reflectors and top brake light, Providence Spyder Accessories USB Charger (and phone mount), Adjustable Side Wing Deflectors, Can-Am Vented Windshield, Can-Am Low Windshield, X-Creen Tour Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade, Dilithium powered Flux Capacitor (not yet fully functional).
    Maintained by Lou at Pirate Powersports.

  21. #21
    Registered Users
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Hercules, CA
    Posts
    3
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default Northern CA service experiences

    Shortly after purchasing my 2016 RT I did some research to obtain suggestions on good service in northern CA. What I found was limited. One post gave a good recommendation to Elk Grove Power Sports.

    Another post gave a poor recommendation to Hayward Powersports. The complaint about Hayward was that the owner took the Spyder in for a service appointment only to be told the Spyder mechanic was not there. He would have to reschedule.

    Based on the above I made an appointment with Elk Grove and was very satisfied with the service and the friendly atmosphere. There were several Spyders being serviced that day and the mechanic who worked on mine came out and gave me a very professional summary of what was done.

    When it came time for my next service I decided to give Hayward a chance because it is half the distance from home (1 hour vs 2 hours for Elk Grove) and anybody can get one bad review.

    I took my RT in for my scheduled appointment today and was not very happy when the service dept. told me I would need to come back because the Spyder mechanic called in. No apology, no compensation offered. Just "Please make another appointment".

    I don't think so. Elk Grove, here I come from now on.

  22. #22
    Active Member Stumpy6Guns's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Valley Center, CA
    Posts
    231
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default Nice F3!

    Quote Originally Posted by Pirate looks at -- View Post
    BTW, my F3 was not on the floor in Elk Grove, they found it in Escondido and had it shipped to Elk Grove! I bought on Tuesday, and was Ryding the next Monday!

    I think I almost bought that very F3! I bought my RT in Escondido on 12/17, and I was sitting on the F3 and zooming down some really cool roads in my mind, but that shiny Pearl White RT Limited next to it was whispering my name in rather sultry tones. I'm so easy...
    Myron Wooley

    USMC 1975 - 1979

    2nd Spyder: Pearl White 2016 Spyder RT Limited, purchased December 18, 2016 with 1 mile
    First Spyder: Pearl White 2012 Spyder RT Limited, gone to a good home

  23. #23
    Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Central VERMONT
    Posts
    13,263
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default HUH

    Quote Originally Posted by ussoldier View Post
    Well, I already purchased my Can Am Spyder F3-S in Clawson Fresno. However, the dealer (Jonathon Steele) was very pushy. I also asked the Service Department if they were BRP Certified. They told me go check online. The only department was the parts. Unfortunately, I bought my Warranty there. And, I am able to get it back; therefore, I am stuck with a 6 year Warranty called Power Rev. The deal was good, but not the best. If your planning to buy a Spyder wait tell the Demo rides, and then bargain your price. That is what I did. Elk Grove will surely be good at the Sales, Parts, and Service Department. I did check Lancaster, Ca but was unable to price match my F3-S...yet, they did say they can price match anything...lol
    Sorry but a lot of what you are saying above is contradicting to what you have just said ....very confusing ............. Mike

  24. #24
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Central Valley, Ca
    Posts
    152
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Sorry but a lot of what you are saying above is contradicting to what you have just said ....very confusing ............. Mike

    Sorry about that. Let me re-edit it.

  25. #25
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Central Valley, Ca
    Posts
    152
    Spyder Garage
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vinsanity666 View Post
    Where's elkgrove? I live in Palm Springs and looking for a good dealership


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Elk Grove, CA is 30 minutes down South of Sacramento, and 1 hour North from Modesto, CA. I already purchased my Can Am Spyder F3-S in Clawson, Fresno. The dealer (Jonathon Steele) was very pushy, and he was just trying to make a sale (It took me a month to negotiate price). I actually had the lowest bargain for the trike I was looking for. I tried many places Lodi, Elk Grove, Lancaster, Bakersfield, San Diego, and so forth. When I looked at Cycletrader online, I noticed the lowest deal for the Triple Black was in Lancaster, CA. However, they were unable to price match the bike that the quote was given from Fresno, CA. I didn't want to go out State, because California had some weird laws. So, I decided to stay within California. Honestly, I am happy that I have my trike. And, i definitely want to thank all the members from the Spyder Forum their help. But, I am still learning about the Can Am Spyder, protective gear, and being visible. Granted, I should have thought this through. Oh well, I got my trike...now, I need to see how i can be more visible. Since, black is not the color to go with One more thing, if you are planning to get a trike than wait till the demo rides in any dealer that sells the Can Am Spyder. After you ride it, there will be a Sales Representative waiting for you. Let them know that you want this trike and low ball the heck out of them. That is how I did mine.
    Last edited by ussoldier; 01-04-2017 at 12:11 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •