Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default hand brake on an RTS

any reason why this couldn't be fitted to a RTS?01212_eglcRDRUzcm_600x450.jpg

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

No reason at all.
    I have one on my 2014 RTS!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

A little bit more information about who makes them, and what the installation process involves; would be really nice.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Handbrake on a RTS

The master cylinder is a brembo and is used on Harley Davidsons larger bikes, road glide, street glide, road king , and some of the other bikes. That is the master cylinder we use at ISCI for our handbrake kits, as for the cable one, it is used for the clutch side on many H-D bikes. The m/c will not just bolt on and work, It will take making parts to make it fit on the handle bars.

Contact Jeff at ISCI , If I can answer any questions.
    334-277-2224

Spyder Garage

Default Agree...

That is only part of what you will need to make a hand operated brake to work. Also be aware that it will operate all brakes as does the foot pedal there are no system as of now that will operate front and rear independently....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

For the guys that have installed the handbrake....what was the main reason you wanted it. I mean was it because you were used to one and felt naked without it, didn't like the position of the foot brake, or some other reason. I'm kinda up in the air on it. I hate the position of the foot brake, I do miss the handbrake, but I don't know if it is enough to warrant this mod.

Will anyone share their story for me, why and if it was worth it ?

thanks

tim
    " Fat people are harder to kidnap "

2015 RTS-SE6 Circuit Yellow
    Akrapovic Exhaust - BajaRon Sway bar
    Rivco rear Trunk Rack
    Lamonster LED Head Lights - LED Fog Lights
    Spyder Cuff - Hwy Pegs
    Ultimate Midrider Seat w/ Yellow Trim - Rear Armrests
    Spyderpops Bumpskid with LED - Full view Turn Signal
    R/T Front grill Inserts
    3rd Brake light - Saddle bad LED
    Baker Built Air Wings
    Doc's Spring Stiffeners - Vibration Dampener
    TRICLED underground LED'S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The handbrake can be a necessary item for a rider who has lost the full use of their right foot.
    I found that I was able to acclimate to the footbrake quickly...
    But if I ever needed a handbrake: I'd call ISCI. Their brake kit is top-notch!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tmcquain View Post
    For the guys that have installed the handbrake....what was the main reason you wanted it. I mean was it because you were used to one and felt naked without it, didn't like the position of the foot brake, or some other reason. I'm kinda up in the air on it. I hate the position of the foot brake, I do miss the handbrake, but I don't know if it is enough to warrant this mod.

thanks

tim
    I installed it for the reasons you mention. I have always used the hand brake on my bikes and I just looked stupid waving my hand around looking for the brake. I also have lower back issues and there are times when the right leg doesn't work so well and like you said the position of the foot brake is not ideal. It gives you plenty of leverage and you can squeeze it hard enough to activate the ABS. Another reason is when in a left hand corner and you're bracing with your right foot It really upsets the handling when you need to get on the brake to avoid an idiot or in my case a deer.
    The ISCI kit is extremely well made and the support from the builder it great. It takes some time to install but I wouldn't be without it. Spend the money, You will be glad you did.

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=tmcquain;1202324]For the guys that have installed the handbrake....what was the main reason you wanted it. I mean was it because you were used to one and felt naked without it, didn't like the position of the foot brake, or some other reason. I'm kinda up in the air on it. I hate the position of the foot brake, I do miss the handbrake, but I don't know if it is enough to warrant this mod.

I have certainly considered it. My foot neuropathy worsens all the time. Also you reaction time with you hand is about twice as quick as your foot, because the signal doesn't have to travel as far. The ISCI set up looks pretty good, but only if you KNOW you're keeping your ryde. otherwise maybe the cost is prohibitive. (which is why I am on the fence)
    Flatlander, Navy Veteran, Widower
    Loved my 2014 RTS SE6 Pearl white
    but have a new love now,
    my 2017 RTS SE6 Champagne metallic (Champ)

Spyder Garage

IMHO the added safety factor makes the cost worth it. You can always take it off and sell it if you change rides.

Spyder Garage

Quasi
    I installed the ISCI Handbrake kit on my 2015 RT-S as soon as I bought the bike as it was the only way I could still ride as my legs don't work. Thanks to the great folks on this forum I found out about ISCI and ensured I could get the Handbrake prior to my bike purchase.
    As folks have already stated ISCI is a super company and the brake kit is high quality. I installed it myself though it took a while as I don't move around too well. It is the only way I stop my bike. Only use the foot brake to hang my Gremlin bell from so whenever I use my Handbrake it jingles my bell and keeps the Gremlins away!
    Hope this helps you decide.
    All the best.
    Thump
    Thump

Spyder Garage

Default Foot issue....

Having the ISCI brake on my 2014 RT the moment I picked it up from the dealer (therefore is was dealer installed and wrapped in the purchase deal) was a requirement for me. Due to back issues, I have been slowly losing the use of my legs from the knees down. The right is worse than the left. It's also why I am not riding a Harley Trike. Harley couldn't work out a way that I didn't have to use my left foot for shifting. It's hard to do with an AFO (leg brace). I can get to the foot brake and practice doing that when I can. Without feeling in my right foot it makes for some interesting stops!

The hand brake will not put as much pressure on the brakes as hard and quickly as the foot brake can. I took the Pennsylvania Motorcycle safety course followed by the Motorcycle test. During the test, an "emergency" stop was required. I got nervous about the hand brake stopping me fast enough to literally stood on the foot brake. The rear wheel did leave the pavement as the two instructors/testers looked surprisingly at each other. They later told me my RT had stopped in half the distance they had ever measured before! In fact, I didn't even make it to the first measurement marker!

SO, my advice is if you don't NEED the hand brake, the foot brake works just fine once you learn it. It's just like finding all the tiny controls buttons on the left-side handle bar. But, if you need the hand brake, the ISCI unit is VERY good.
    NEVER, look straight up at a bird ....NEVER drink downstream from the herd ....and NEVER, EVER squat....with your spurs on!!!

Spyder Garage

I installed mine due to the fact that I have knee issues and many times I have my right foot resting on the highway peg to ease my right knee. I could not do that around a town knowing that I may need to brake quickly even though my knee pain was making it hard to ride.

After installing the hand brake I get the relief I need and still be able to brake. Plus it gives me the extra time to get my foot to the pedal so that the Spyder is already starting to stop as my foot touches the break pedal.

My wife who doesn't have knee issues really likes the hand brake, and since it only attaches to the brake system, and not connected into the stock system I am able to remove it and install it onto the next Spyder(assuming we ever change from this one).

Bottom line for us it makes for a safer ride and we will not be without it.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

I have issues with my right hip that also make keeping it on the floorboard very uncomfortable. Does anyone know the average install time so i can estimate the cost for the install and the brake? This would so make my commute into DC a dream. :-). Thank you.
    2019 F3T , Blue

Spyder Garage

Default ISCI handbrake

Quote Originally Posted by tmcquain View Post

thanks

tim
    Tim,
    I bought my 2014 RT-S new in June '14. I'm handicapped and my legs don't work very well. The handbrake was a must have option.
    The dealer installed it, it's quite a job. It took 4 hours labor and cost just under $1500 total. It's connected to the floorboard brake pedal
    somehow. When you pull the handbrake the pedal goes down. I wouldn't be without it.
    Hope this helps.
    Buckeye Chuck

Spyder Garage

Default ISCI Handbrake

I had two objections to buying a CanAm, one was the seat was too tight for me and the other was the foot brake. I have neuropathy in my feet, and a recent right ankle operation which makes its very difficult for me to feel the right foot brake. I bought a new 2015 RT and immediately installed the ISCI Handbrake. It is exactly what I needed! High quality all the way and a relatively easy installation. I am still deciding on getting the Comfort Seat
    -Bud

Spyder Garage

Default I am following this thread

link to said vendor. thanks

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    A little bit more information about who makes them, and what the installation process involves; would be really nice.
    ISCI Bob! Is right there in front of the handlebar! Surprise you misssed that one!

Spyder Garage

I won't mind one if i was physically in need of the hand brake! It didn't take me long at all to get used to the foot brake! Reazon for that is because, that's all i have in my car! Just an opinion!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MOSESS View Post
    link to said vendor. thanks
    try http://www.isciride.com/product/hand-brake-system/
    -artig
    -2016 blue Can-Am Spyder RT Limited
    My blog with walks and rides

Spyder Garage

I have found that to ride my Can- Am quickly thru the twisties requires climbing around and leaning...alot! Trail breaking becomes very difficult in these conditions. The hand bake will eliminate this issue. Or just finish breaking prior to turning in...:-)
    Jack & Carol Jo Stewart
    2015 Spyder RT-S SPECIAL
    TBR Slip On Exhaust
    Corbin Heated Lemonster seat with back rest
    Semi Hard Luggage
    BahaRon Swaybar
    JT's Dash Mount
    TricLED Front Fenders
    XenonDepot LED Headlights

More to follow! Lol