Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie

Spyder Garage

Default Newbie

Hi All.
    Just purchased a 2010 Spyder with only 1034 miles on it.
    I am a long time rider, currently have an Ultra Limited but want the Spyder for taking my wife on the back.
    Just don't have the leg strength anymore to hold up the 900 lb bike with my wife on the back.
    I tried a Harley Trike but hated the ride. Liked the Spyder much much better.
    Anything I need to know about the 2010 model year?
    Any highly recommended accessories I should be looking for?

Thanks,
    Bill

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Welcome aboard. The hardest thing I had to learn about my 2010 was to keep the revs high. That took me a while to get use to. Don't grip the bars hard. The less pressure, the better. Keep an eye on your oil. Those engines drink a lot! Most importantly, get some miles on that thing, and have fun!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the response!
    Where is the Engine most happy in revs?

They burn oil?

Spyder Garage

Default Do's and Do Nots

The Do's and Do nots document will be very helpful for you and will answer your RPM questions plus others.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-Spyder-owners
    Love my Spyders
    2016 F3L Steel Black purchased 7/16/2016 Sold 3/11/2023 (22,500 mi)

2014 RTS Circuit Yellow purchased 3/2/2018

2020 RTL Petrol Blue purchased 1/27/2023

Girls on Spyders #3195

No more 2 wheels
    2020 RTL , Lamonster floor board riser Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

thanks!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BillN View Post
    Hi All.
    I am a long time rider, currently have an Ultra Limited but want the Spyder for taking my wife on the back.
    Just don't have the leg strength anymore to hold up the 900 lb bike with my wife on the back.

Thanks,
    Bill
    and

What model? RT or RS. I had a 2010 RT premier and loved every mile I spent on it.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

If it is not an RT then get a back rest for your wife. Get a set of bluetooth headsets for your helmets so you two can talk to eacn other. I have Sena SMH10 but there are newer Sena's out there you might like better. Call motorcycledave a sponsor here for more information. If you do your own oil changes BajaRon has the best deal on filters,oil too if you use Amzoil. Now go out and ride that thing and put some miles on it. As you ride accessories will suggest themselves to you. Most can be had thru the people that sponsor this forum.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

It is an RT.
    I hope to pick it up next Wednesday.

I Plan on doing my own oil changes since there are no dealers within any reasonable distance.

Spyder Garage

Hi All.

Thanks,
    Bill
    I saw you said it is an RT is it manual or semi auto? I just got a 2010 RT manual and love it. Post some photos.
    2010 RTSM5

2010 RTSM5 , stock Stock Silver

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

on your new ride!
    If it's got the SE-5 transmission (The one with the paddles...); try to keep the rpm levels up above 4,000 rpm.
    This'll keep the engagement clutches fully locked-up, and happy.
    (They actually lock at around 3,500 rpm or so: the extra 500 rpm is for insurance!)
    If it's got the SM-5 transmission (The one that all other bikes come with); you're pretty much good to go at whatever rpm level the bike can pull.
    But it really starts to wake up at 5000 rpm!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member Buckeye Bleau's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Just for starters I would like to be so bold as to recommend one of my favorite Farkles.

They cost $12 per pair or 2 pair for $20. They are foam handle grips they slide on with the aid of some dishwashng detergent, they help keep your grip relaxed and they increase the grip diameter just enough to make it easier to handle.

There is a lot more you can do but this one is inexpensive and worth more ounce per ounce than the others.

Joe
    U.S. Army Viet Nam Era Vet
    2013 Spyder RT-L, Black Currant
    Trunk mount dual SS flag holder
    TricLed foam hand grips (awesome)
    Chromed Soaring Eagle License Holder
    Utopia Deluxe driver backrest
    LED fender lighting
    Fast Flash LED brake light
    Spyder Pops LED/skid plate

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

Hi Bill…Congratulations! We build accessories for the Spyder in the USA. We were the first to invent to Charging/Docking Stations for your cell phone/GPS. We have been making them since 2011. Check out our website at http://www.providence-spyder-accessories.com/

Our 12 Volt Charging station (see video #2 on our home page) is discounted to $119 and include all RAM accessories to hold a cell phone/GPS.
    Some items ship free and we will include a free cup holder for your passenger. Be well and ride safe.

Spyder Garage

In addition to the do's and do not's, read your owners manual thoroughly. If there isn't one with the Spyder you can download it at this link:
    http://www.operatorsguides.brp.com/I...adster&type=og. Just drill down to the 2010 RT and you'll have it. Good luck!
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Hi, I had a 2010 rt standard shift and loved it. I would usually shift around 4500rpm, it likes the higher rpms.
    Enjoy the Ryde.
    Ryde as if your life depends on it,
    because it does !! Ryde Safe!
    Vietnam 67-69

Spyder Garage

Default Welcome welcome....

To both the spyder world and this rather informative site..congrats on your new ryde.. You really need to do some ryding both solo and two up to get a better idea of what you feel you need or don't need. Then make your safety mods followed by your comfort mods and leave the sparkles for last. If your getting this ryde from a dealer they should have checked that all the updated and changes have been done but you can have them check with the vin #...otherwise get out there and ryde and enjoy the miles of smiles....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Congrats on your 2010

Oh how I luved my 2010 RT/SE5....it was my first ever motorcycle and it served me very well for almost 80K miles...what I remember the most was the miles of smiles it gave me...
    BUT that it really liked me to be around 5000 rpm to shift and I would always downshift. It didn't take me long to figure out that Spyders have a sweet spot for shifting and each one is a tad different. I also listened to the engine and after a couple 1000 miles I knew where and when.
    NOW to oil. Mine loved oil (as do most 998 engines)...learn to check according to manual (very specific)...mine liked a drink around 800 miles and took about 10 oz.
    Farkles? Now that list can go on forever. As recommended the foam grips from TricLED (a site sponsor) are the best as well as their customer service is THE BEST..I had an issue with the compressor for keeping the passenger shock inflated failed and had 3 "bladders" replaced under warranty and then got tired of running down the road tilting upward!!! and installed the autofill compressor.
    Bajaron sway bar, laser alignment (ROLO system only...Squared Away (Ann & Joe) are the gurus as well as site sponsors plus they travel all over US doing thier magic.
    Extra safety lights always recommended (again check out TricLED stuff...they got it all and again awesome stuff)..
    Find the do's and don'ts on here for "learning" to ryde a Spyder...they are a different 'animal'...but oh my how wonderful once you 'tame the beast'.
    Glad you found SL....the absolute best folks for help...
    Happy and Blessed Thanksgiving..
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Red Stallion: 2016 F3t SE6 (from Pitbull PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    White Knight: 2014 RTS SE6 and matching 622 trailer (from Pitbull
    PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    Ms Spydee: 2010 RT SE5

Very Active Member SteveLaoyster's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    In addition to the do's and do not's, read your owners manual thoroughly. If there isn't one with the Spyder you can download it at this link:
    http://www.operatorsguides.brp.com/I...adster&type=og. Just drill down to the 2010 RT and you'll have it. Good luck!

Also watching the DVD is a good idea too. If you don't have it you can find that on youtube. Ryde safe & ryde much!
    AKA Jud Smales, Four Year Spyder Ryder!
    "Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati"

The Critter 2016 RT-S
    Cat Bypass from Lamonster
    BajaRon Sway Bar
    Hella dual horns with relay
    BRP Hitch with trailer module
    Foam Grips
    Adjustable Air Deflectors
    Driver & Passenger Gel Pads in Seat
    Shorty antenna
    Ultraguard half cover
    Gremlin bell from my son
    Break Stripe Kit from Wrap My Spyder
    2016 RT-S , stock not yet Pearl White

Spyder Garage

It is an RT.

I Plan on doing my own oil changes since there are no dealers within any reasonable distance.
    Oil change is easy to do on this machines! get familiar with the recomended oil and be careful with the oil plugs, they're very easy to strip! make sure you replace all the washers and oil filter rings normally they come with the oil change kit! chack out bajaron, one of our many good sponsors here! welcome to the spyder world! you're going to like the spyder, once you get familiar with the machine! i use amsoil with k& n filters on mine, but there's an abundance of choices to meet your preferences!

TAKE TIME AND READ THE MANUAL IF YOU HAVE ONE!!!!
    Last edited by lou49; 11-17-2016 at 10:53 AM.

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

Were you the one who won the Spyder RT on ebay recently?

Spyder Garage

Default About that drinking oil....

Quote Originally Posted by POD KonB GA View Post
    (snip) Keep an eye on your oil. Those engines drink a lot! (snip)
    +1 on checking that oil. I learned about my 2010 RT drinking oil the hard way. On our recent trip to Arkansas and back (about 2000 miles total) I didn't check the oil. We had stopped in Marion IL on the way back from Hatfield, AR. Went in to register at the hotel, came back out, started bike to park for the night, dreaded CHECK ENGINE comes up and bike shuts down. Restart... finally limped to a parking spot. Already dark so no checking on bike. Went to eat, back to hotel to bed, up early in the morning to check oil. Low.... Found Can Am/Polaris powersport shop phone number. Called - Me - "Hi, I am stuck here at a hotel and dealing with a CHECK ENGINE light on my Spyder. Can you take a look at it?" Shop guy - "Well... we don't work on Spyders here, but I used to when I lived in Florida. What's up?" Told him - he said top it off and ignore CHECK ENGINE - likely just a low oil signal and it should go away. Friends we were with had a quart of synth so I topped it off and started out for home - another 6 hours riding time. But, bike went into limp mode BEFORE we got on IL-57 interstate, thankfully. Pulled over in safe spot, turned off bike, told friends who had to be at work the next day to go ahead and we would stay behind and figure out what to do. They reluctantly agreed... but when I started the bike again, it was revving just fine so I took off down the side road and revved it and slowed and revved it - it was running fine. I signaled for them to head on to the interstate, I followed and we got home late that day. Whew! A long story to help Bill remember to CHECK THAT OIL!!

Ryde, eat, sleep.... repeat

2019 Spyder RT Limited Pearl White/Dark
    LaMonster drink holder with X-Grip
    LaMonster Belt Dampener
    Lamonster USB cable with extension

Variously called Stormtrooper, Pearl, and Goober by wife and various (friends?)

Spyder Garage

One additional point. I agree with Murphybrown in post #16 about shifting points. You have three suggestions so far, and I am going to second the 5000 - 5500 range for rpm shifting and running. Each does have its own "sweet" spot. You will also find yours.

The power range begins at 5000 + on those 990's. That is why a few of us suggest 5000 + for shifting and running. It will not hurt the engine whatsoever.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    One additional point. I agree with Murphybrown in post #16 about shifting points. You have three suggestions so far, and I am going to second the 5000 - 5500 range for rpm shifting and running. Each does have its own "sweet" spot. You will also find yours.

The power range begins at 5000 + on those 990's. That is why a few of us suggest 5000 + for shifting and running. It will not hurt the engine whatsoever.
    I shift at about 4500!

Spyder Garage

glad you could join us! Ride safe, and let the smiles, miles, farkling begin!

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

It is an RT.

Stick with the BRP oil for the best effects, many will argue and point you to other oils but staying with the BRP oil is recommended for the motor & transmission.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

I guess , if you are going too ride it back too your area , from a purchase point , look the cycle over good , { under the bike , at the bottom , where the covers meet and over lap } if it looks out of place it has been worked on ! check oil before you start it ! look at you tube videos , on how too check oil ! what all the stuff you are about too see as you learn the cycle , what kind of tire pressure and tires ... <---- just too start with getting too know the cycle ! had mine for about 3 or 4 months now , pretty much know a lot I had no idea I would need too know from 1 year ago ! a lot of good help here in the forums also ... type in the search box what you wish too read about and it should pop right up { here and you tube also } good luck and happy rides ahead