Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default I'm IN, Rock, Stock '13 RTL

Windagetray,
    I have only put a couple thousand miles on my stock unmodified used 2013 RT Limited. It has no modifications, has over 10,000 miles, still has original Kenda tires.

Has apparently only had one known (local shop) oil change by previous owner at 7500 Miles and my initial Blackstone oil report said it was probably good until 11000 miles. Has never been towed or needed any repair to the best of my knowledge.

The only recorded servicing on this 3 year old Spyder was the factory recall heat modifications and that 7500 mile Oil and Filters change and checkup.

Has been running great, my wife and I both think it's the best cycle we've owned in the last 27 years.

Other southern MN Spyderlovers riders can attest that I LOVE cranking though severe twisties at 30 - 40 over posted speeds (Don't try this at home, yada, yada) and that was with my wife riding double and with me chasing two solo riders who did have the upgraded shocks and sway bars.

Sure they went through those corners much more comfortably than we did, but I still chased as close as I could and never left the road or all three wheels... I took a marital beating for it afterwards, but it was worth every second....
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Very Active Member Buckeye Bleau's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by joebryanjr View Post
    Maybe it's just me, but this is more like a whine session than a survey!
    I am pleased to hear that someone else thought as I did.

While reading the qualifiers or maybe disqualifiers, it occurred to me that this person wants to just hear the bitching and nit-pickers. Good grief man, I can find something wrong with anything, why not look for the good in it. I like what some posted, yup, issues but would not give it up, shoot I have my Buick in the garage enough, my lawnmower runs god but if I shut it off half way through the yard I have to charge the battery to start it,but finish the yard and start it right up three days later. My shop smith needs maintenance that I hate to do, but I still enjoy it. Why do the batteries on my drills always fail when I want to use them, why not after I am done?

Joe
    U.S. Army Viet Nam Era Vet
    2013 Spyder RT-L, Black Currant
    Trunk mount dual SS flag holder
    TricLed foam hand grips (awesome)
    Chromed Soaring Eagle License Holder
    Utopia Deluxe driver backrest
    LED fender lighting
    Fast Flash LED brake light
    Spyder Pops LED/skid plate

Spyder Garage

Default ...

Quote Originally Posted by Dan McNally View Post
    It doesn't sound like a "satisfaction survey" to me - and to wait for people to post, who have never done anything to their Spyder seems pointless - especially since the number of members of this forum only account for a fifth of the Spyders sold.

I'm very satisfied with my Spyder - and, yes, I've done stuff to it. Why? Because I could, and wanted to do so.

The distinction I'm seeking is did you add things because you "wanted to do so" OR because you wanted to have it ride or handle better or last longer between failures? I "wanted" to add a cup holder. I HAD to add the skid plate and shock adjusters because out of the box it scraped at every dip, hump, stone, or drive entrance I encountered. I had to change rear tires too early (in just my opinion here...I understand) at 6K miles with a different brand in hopes of it lasting a more reasonable amount of miles (again....in MY opinion. Others may feel 6K on a tire before it's down to the wear bars is just fine)
    NEVER, look straight up at a bird ....NEVER drink downstream from the herd ....and NEVER, EVER squat....with your spurs on!!!

Spyder Garage

Default I think some got this wrong....

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye Bleau View Post
    I am pleased to hear that someone else thought as I did.

While reading the qualifiers or maybe disqualifiers, it occurred to me that this person wants to just hear the bitching and nit-pickers. Good grief man, I can find something wrong with anything, why not look for the good in it. I like what some posted, yup, issues but would not give it up, shoot I have my Buick in the garage enough, my lawnmower runs god but if I shut it off half way through the yard I have to charge the battery to start it,but finish the yard and start it right up three days later. My shop smith needs maintenance that I hate to do, but I still enjoy it. Why do the batteries on my drills always fail when I want to use them, why not after I am done?

Joe

My post said if you had problems....I DO NOT want to hear about it. I am looking ONLY for the GOOD ones!! I don't know how many have read it but I count 3-1/2 owners who are completely happy with everything on their bike as it came out of the box. Again...don't want to hear about problems. MY bike has problems! I wanted to see if there were ANY out there without issues.
    NEVER, look straight up at a bird ....NEVER drink downstream from the herd ....and NEVER, EVER squat....with your spurs on!!!

Spyder Garage

Default Looking for the "sunshine"...

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    What are you fishing for?
    It almost seems as if there's an agenda lurking... Please tell us about it.

But I'm out anyway...
    No fishing. I just see so many similar problems on here. These are not cheap machines and yet nothing seems to improve unless owners spend MORE money and upgrade things. I'm just trying to see how many folks have done nothing to their bikes out of a need to increase it's "usability" or the longevity of parts that are known for premature failure. I'm seeking the GOOD ones. I did not want to hear about the bad ones. I can read all about them on most any thread here. Show me some sunshine!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Windagetray View Post
    No fishing. I just see so many similar problems on here. These are not cheap machines and yet nothing seems to improve unless owners spend MORE money and upgrade things. I'm just trying to see how many folks have done nothing to their bikes out of a need to increase it's "usability" or the longevity of parts that are known for premature failure. I'm seeking the GOOD ones. I did not want to hear about the bad ones. I can read all about them on most any thread here. Show me some sunshine!
    Many mods that I added were because I wanted to make it mine. Here is what I did to my 2008 GS and 2009 RS. No defects that I knew of, I just wanted a touring version. The next year they came out with the RT. I bought a premier edition #474. I still say they (BRP) copied me. I was very happy with the outcomes of my farkles on these early Spyders.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 11-16-2016 at 10:29 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default No no no....

Quote Originally Posted by Bam Bam and Pebbles View Post
    I didnt say I was pleased with the life of the Kenda. I said I got exactly what I expected out of it. I got 9k miles out of it and I believe that I ride Cocaine as hard on the twisties as an RT can be ridden.
    I am not sure what problems you are having with your Spyder that caused you to post this "fishing for negativity" survey, but I love my bike. I have 22k miles on the two RT's I have owned and I have nothing but good things to say about them.

Folks got it wrong....I DON'T want to hear the negatives!!!! I want to hear from folks WITHOUT any issues!!!
    This whole forum is FULL of negatives. I'm looking for the good ones.

Spyder Garage

Default I'm looking for the GOOD Spyders....not the bad!

If you have upgraded your bike or were not happy with the longevity of something I do NOT want a post! I'm looking for the folks who have had no issues with their Spyders.

It seems to me that the OLDER Spyders (2013's) to be the years folks have the best "luck" with. So...as the price is going up....the quality is getting worse???

I'm still looking for the good one out there!

Is it so terrible that I believe that drive belts should come from the factory properly guarded against stone infiltration from BOTH sides? ....that the stock compressor costing $350 should out-perform an aftermarket one costing $75? ...that a rear tire last longer than 6K miles? ....that air bags not be so easily susceptible to having stones rubbing through them? ....that the thing not bottom out regularly with normal operation?

Spyder Garage

Visit a Harley forum then tell me about the bitching, upgrades, usability, etc.

Sounds like you've never owned a bike.

AJ

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Yes but

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    I think you're out. Didn't we laser align your Spyder at NorCal?
    Not the RT!!! That one is next!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

I was given a 2014 RTL on a test drive program. In a couple of months we put 8,600 miles on it. The Spyder was completely stock and I had no issues with it whatsoever. As soon as I had my own 14 I began to make modifications to it because I wanted to. A stock Spyder is fine for some folks but for most of us we make changes because we can and we want to.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for clarifying your goal...
    I've added a bunch of stuff to my 2014 RT Limited...
    None of it was necessary; just desired!
    My 2010 (As a first year offering) did need some "tinkering" to work better...
    But that is to be expected on a new design.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member Buckeye Bleau's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have a 2013 RTL and love it, any Farkles that I did I did because I wanted to. Yes I added the heavy duty skid plate but more for the LED ring on the front than the protection, that was a bonus.
    i added the Lamonster floor board highway pages, because I can really stretch out, not because I had to.
    My rear tire lasted 11K miles, was disappointed but when I buy a new car those tires last about 30 to 40K miles and the aftermarket set last over twice as long, talk to a tire guy and they will tell you that that is the truth.

Also, I have like others posted a "I love my Spyder post" and soooooo very many others chime in. The nature of those kinds of pages is to read about problems and then you get overwhelmed, there are thousands of people looking for help, they come here.

Joe
    U.S. Army Viet Nam Era Vet
    2013 Spyder RT-L, Black Currant
    Trunk mount dual SS flag holder
    TricLed foam hand grips (awesome)
    Chromed Soaring Eagle License Holder
    Utopia Deluxe driver backrest
    LED fender lighting
    Fast Flash LED brake light
    Spyder Pops LED/skid plate

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up No problems---- but:::::

2014 RT-S
    No problems other than poor dealer prep. Many mods---for safety, comfort and convience. The only other on was to remove the ugly BRP stickers front and rear and replace with a sticker.

Kaos
    Last edited by Lew L; 11-17-2016 at 11:54 AM. Reason: speeling
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Default I'm with you.....

Quote Originally Posted by kaos View Post
    2014 RT-S
    No problems other than poor dealer prep. Many mods---for safety, comfort and convience. The only other on was to remove the ugly BRP stickers front and rear and replace with a sticker.

Kaos

I hate those BRP stickers too!! Made that same "mod" on my machine too!

Spyder Garage

Default Thank you Buckeye...

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye Bleau View Post
    I have a 2013 RTL and love it, any Farkles that I did I did because I wanted to. Yes I added the heavy duty skid plate but more for the LED ring on the front than the protection, that was a bonus.
    i added the Lamonster floor board highway pages, because I can really stretch out, not because I had to.
    My rear tire lasted 11K miles, was disappointed but when I buy a new car those tires last about 30 to 40K miles and the aftermarket set last over twice as long, talk to a tire guy and they will tell you that that is the truth.

Also, I have like others posted a "I love my Spyder post" and soooooo very many others chime in. The nature of those kinds of pages is to read about problems and then you get overwhelmed, there are thousands of people looking for help, they come here.

Joe
    Interesting....again...YOU have a 2013. I'm seeing a pattern here.....in 2014 the machine went to $#!T...

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks Bob....

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Thanks for clarifying your goal...
    I've added a bunch of stuff to my 2014 RT Limited...
    None of it was necessary; just desired!
    My 2010 (As a first year offering) did need some "tinkering" to work better...
    But that is to be expected on a new design.

Now....the REST of the story....

So, you know these machines attract attention and spark conversations with strangers. Like most here, I get the inappropriate question of "how much was it?". Second is some version of "how do you like it?". My answer to that question has been evolving. I started out being very supportive of BRP's product. However, since I can't know the mechanical ability and financial situation said stranger is in, I'm finding that now, I feel obligated to let them know that MY machine is a lot of work, has had lots of issues, and costs a significant amount of money for NEEDED improvements, maintenance and repairs. I just want to be sure I am representing the product fairly. So far, I think I am. ...and I would be more likely to advise buying a 2013 model than a 2014 or later. OR, as I wish I had, done a LOT of research and see if perhaps the Honda or some other trike is more reliable and would have suited my handicaps.

Spyder Garage

Default From your "Farkle" list...

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinLV View Post
    Visit a Harley forum then tell me about the bitching, upgrades, usability, etc.

Sounds like you've never owned a bike.

AJ

....I would say nothing there disqualifies you from submitting a "positive" review...AND I see it's a 2014. Of course folks don't list their necessary repairs so, I'll put you down as a maybe.

You are correct. I have never owned a bike. I don't think that should preclude me from having an opinion. Further, as I stated in another reply here, I'm really not asking for myself. I get asked a lot about my Spyder. I want to give an honest answer. While VERY fun to ride and VERY cool looking.... My bike sucks (in MY opinion). Right out of the showroom, it bottomed out constantly against the road. I'm a big guy but, even riding 2 up we are not over the bike's (weight) limit. Before making NECESSARY "mods", I was afraid I would destroy the bike riding 2 up. A few hundred dollars to BajaRon and the problem was fixed. Hundreds of dollars to Viair and Doc Humphrey will solve the leaking air bag/dead compressor issue. A Kuhmo rear tire will solve the crappy Kenda that barely made it past the first (3k mile) oil change. 11K miles on it now and I'll be on my 3rd drive belt. ...nothing $800 bucks won't fix. I tried the "missing" belt guard but still got this last stone...so, since no one makes the BEST belt guard, I'll spend my own time and money to make one. I can build a hell of a guard for $800!!! (not to mention the special wrenches and tension reading devices needed to do this yourself) So no....I have never owned a bike. It doesn't mean I have to be happy about the poor engineering, cheap Chinese tires, and inferior, over-priced parts on my machine.

Spyder Garage

Both of my Spyders have been hands down far better than any other brand of reverse trike available on the market. Not even close.......

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I bought a 2012 with 9,000 miles on it. Took it to dealer for service. 526 bucks for service and told 14,000 mile service was a grand. Seems outrageous.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vinsanity666 View Post
    I bought a 2012 with 9,000 miles on it. Took it to dealer for service. 526 bucks for service and told 14,000 mile service was a grand. Seems outrageous.
    He was probably including the charge for checking valve tolerances...
    The combined experiences of over 20,000 folks in here has led us to believe that it's not absolutely vital to check them this early...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default i is in

I am in with the " in crowd " 2012 rt , only did the repair of clutch , as it had sat for a long period , not been ridden ... no problems under 10,ooo miles ... repaired myself ! will also speak of our cousin , who owns the r-t on the left , mine is on the right , in from of the 2 wheel cycle .... have a blast on the cycles ! knock on wood it keeps the good shape ... oh the cousins bike is in also ! only replaced the worn tire , and bad gas from a dealer gas station water in tanks ! ------ so 2 --- 2012 `s are good too go

Spyder Garage

Default 2012 Can Am Spyder RTS

I'm just curious to know....

So, I am interested to know how many folks out there who own any year of the Spyder RT model who have:
    1.- NEVER installed any upgrade to their machine for the purpose of upgrading an engineering failure or inferior quality part.

NOR

2.- never felt that any “consumable” items such as tires, brakes, light bulbs, switches, windshield brackets, electronics, speakers, heaters, air bag, compressor, air hoses/connectors, etc. didn’t last as long as you realistically thought it should.

NOR

3. Never had to have their machine towed for reasons that were not your fault. (If you forgot to check your oil, and you had to be towed but you aren’t disqualified by other qualifiers in this post please let us know. Just don’t mention you ran it low on oil!!)

If you added the bump skid because your machine scraped ground in inordinate amount, you’re out. Don’t comment. If you added a (anti-) sway bar because the front end was too sloppy and the bike leaned too much, you’re out. If you added the front shock pre-tensioners, you’re out. If you added the airbag rock guard, you’re out…no commenting. Unless you were truly “tickled to death” that your rear tire lasted 6K or 7K miles before the center was wore to the wear bars, you are out. If you got a special “laser alignment” because the original BRP alignment guidelines used before vehicle delivery wasn’t correct, you’re out! You get the picture….
    If you added a cup holder and/or after-market GPS, or GoPro camera, or painted/wrapped your bike but nothing used to make up for engineering deficiencies in the safe operation of your Spyder ….you’re IN!

I understand that many of my disqualifiers range in severity from annoyances to "your bike is in the shop and you aren't riding it for an extended period of time". I know that in general, the pleasure of getting to ride one of these cool (LOOKING) machines out-weighs some of the issues with which they arrive at your door. BUT, my bet is that there are not many folks who can truly and honestly fit the above parameters
    I traded in my 2006 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic for a 2012 Can Am Spyder RTS. We love it. I've added some minor accessories, like a rider and passenger beverage holder, ram mount for a cell phone, fm radio transmitter, trunk vanity mirror. I've ordered LED bulbs to replace the head, and fog lights. The Spyder was purchased preowned, and no doubt the bulbs would have lasted for a few more years. I did run out of gas because the gas consumption was unfamiliar. After 130 miles, (indicated) the six gallon tank was empty, so the bike taken by a flatbed tow truck back to the dealership. Other than that, there has been no performance options or accessories added nor any other problems. The bike now has just 23,263 miles on the odometer.

Spyder Garage

Like comments mad 100's of times on this board are the tires. rear mainly. I got 6600 and almost bald. Wonder on the newer RT's what there getting. that would be a better survey. See if the problems been addressed and fixed

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I'm having my first service at 9,000 miles on my 2012 RTL I just bought used from a private party in Texas. First off, I was blown away by the service cost of 526 and the printout I was given on scheduled maintenance showed the cost of the 14,000 mile service. Just over a thousand bucks. While I was trying to digest this news, the salesrep said I needed a back tire. I'm reading that the stock tire is cheap so I called dealer and asked about getting a longer lasting tire. He tells me 9,000 miles is good for a back tire. What say you riders who have faced same issue? Any recommendations for an alternative to the stock tire? Other than tire issue and ridiculous cost for servicing, I love the bike. I do wish they had addressed the belt vibration issue before it's release, dumb not to.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk