Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Impromptu Unscientific Satisfaction Survey

I'm just curious to know....

So, I am interested to know how many folks out there who own any year of the Spyder RT model who have:
    1.- NEVER installed any upgrade to their machine for the purpose of upgrading an engineering failure or inferior quality part.

NOR

2.- never felt that any “consumable” items such as tires, brakes, light bulbs, switches, windshield brackets, electronics, speakers, heaters, air bag, compressor, air hoses/connectors, etc. didn’t last as long as you realistically thought it should.

NOR

3. Never had to have their machine towed for reasons that were not your fault. (If you forgot to check your oil, and you had to be towed but you aren’t disqualified by other qualifiers in this post please let us know. Just don’t mention you ran it low on oil!!)

If you added the bump skid because your machine scraped ground in inordinate amount, you’re out. Don’t comment. If you added a (anti-) sway bar because the front end was too sloppy and the bike leaned too much, you’re out. If you added the front shock pre-tensioners, you’re out. If you added the airbag rock guard, you’re out…no commenting. Unless you were truly “tickled to death” that your rear tire lasted 6K or 7K miles before the center was wore to the wear bars, you are out. If you got a special “laser alignment” because the original BRP alignment guidelines used before vehicle delivery wasn’t correct, you’re out! You get the picture….
    If you added a cup holder and/or after-market GPS, or GoPro camera, or painted/wrapped your bike but nothing used to make up for engineering deficiencies in the safe operation of your Spyder ….you’re IN!

I understand that many of my disqualifiers range in severity from annoyances to "your bike is in the shop and you aren't riding it for an extended period of time". I know that in general, the pleasure of getting to ride one of these cool (LOOKING) machines out-weighs some of the issues with which they arrive at your door. BUT, my bet is that there are not many folks who can truly and honestly fit the above parameters
    NEVER, look straight up at a bird ....NEVER drink downstream from the herd ....and NEVER, EVER squat....with your spurs on!!!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default ANSWERS

I think you need to ask one question at a time ...... I'm retired but don't want to spent 1/2 hour typing ....M

Spyder Garage

Default Let's see....

I'm out....on all counts..
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    I'm out....on all counts..
    Ditto to the above.... but then you didn't want to know who was OUT, did you?? You wanted to know who was still IN, didn't you?!?

Sooo, you would probably have had a reasonable close to correct number if you just took the total number of all members registered on this Forum who own RT's & considered that number as all being Disqualified - & you probably wouldn't be too far wrong, maybe give or take a few handfuls!

Given that we know there's now somewhat more that 100,000 of 'all model' Spyders that've been made, & not tooo many others would remain IN (if people are truly honest) that's not a wonderful success rate & should be a screamingly loudwake-up call to BRP & whatever design &/or Quality Control Systems they might have...... But regardless of all that, even if I didn't have issues that made a 3 wheeler of some sort pretty much essential for me to ryde, there's no way I'd give up on ryding my Spyder!! It does give me miles of smiles, it's (now I've modded it a bit to replace the sub-par items) pretty reliable, it's extremely capable (again given the 'now that I've... criteria) & it's an increasingly important component of my ongoing therapy & pain management program, but it'd certainly be even better if none of those disqualifying items had ever applied, wouldn't it now?!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-16-2016 at 01:36 AM. Reason: surprisingly, there's more'n just RT's out there?!?

Spyder Garage

Of course the main reason I'm out/left out is cause I don't have an RT.....

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Well, three RT's to my name. I have been disqualified on all of them. Sorry.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member Bam Bam and Pebbles's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Ahhh, to be one of a kind is truly special. Unless putting a Kumho tire on the rear disqualifies me, and if it does, here is why it shouldnt. It lasted as long as I thought it would. It is cheaply constructed and I put the Kumho on because it is a better tire, not for performance issues. And I drive the living out my bike. With the Kenda on or the Kumho on. I have not added anything else to Cocaine except a rear cupholder.

Current Ride
    2015 RT-S SM6 Cocaine
    Pearl White
    Diamond R Web Armrests
    Shorty Windshield

Previous Ride
    2012 RT SM5 The Beast
    Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

Default Honda Neo-Wing

Looking real forward to the Honda Neo-Wing. I have had 4 Spyders and just too many problems that question the integrity of BRP. They need some good competition

Spyder Garage

You're not one of the only ones I have not done anything to my bike and I love it just give me a reason to go ride it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Maybe it's just me, but this is more like a whine session than a survey!
    2014 RTSS , Cogna/ black

Spyder Garage

Default It's going as expected...

Bam Bam, if you are pleased with the life the original Kenda tire gave you, you are in and a lucky RT owner for sure. Otherwise ....not so much.

Cphillipsea ...looks like you are a very lucky RT owner indeed. Can I ask how many miles you have on it?

For the rest of the repliers, I feel your pain!
    NEVER, look straight up at a bird ....NEVER drink downstream from the herd ....and NEVER, EVER squat....with your spurs on!!!

Spyder Garage

It doesn't sound like a "satisfaction survey" to me - and to wait for people to post, who have never done anything to their Spyder seems pointless - especially since the number of members of this forum only account for a fifth of the Spyders sold.

I'm very satisfied with my Spyder - and, yes, I've done stuff to it. Why? Because I could, and wanted to do so.

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

What are you fishing for?
    It almost seems as if there's an agenda lurking... Please tell us about it.

But I'm out anyway...
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 11-16-2016 at 03:30 PM.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm out on all three, but it doesn't mean I wasn't satisfied with the two RTS's I've owned.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Default Lets see...

Added aftermarket seat, floorboards, cup holder, engine guard, bags to my Honda Shadow, Fairing, windshield to my old Yamaha XS750 as I remember. Cupholder, voltage meter, to my Road King, I think all had tires different from the OEM supplied brands. Many accessories, add-ons and personal enhancements including handmade mudflaps, and even names and decals. Best bike for being ready to go when I hit the starter button was the Honda. Most piddlin' repairs that needed fixed were on my Road King (always shakin something loose). Most miles of riding (all the bikes gave me smiles per mile) have been with the Spyder RT's. I have the base model, and certainly have added some personal touchs like NBV brackets with custom wood pegs, Lamonster power port and mount, etc. New tires around, and I'm sure several more changes to come. I think we tend to try to change the things we like most. Just don't try it with your spouse...be happy for the things that make them unique!
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Spyder Garage

Default After rereading my reply concerning customizations to my bikes..

Quote Originally Posted by Windagetray View Post
    Bam Bam, if you are pleased with the life the original Kenda tire gave you, you are in and a lucky RT owner for sure. Otherwise ....not so much.

Cphillipsea ...looks like you are a very lucky RT owner indeed. Can I ask how many miles you have on it?

I feel obliged to reply regarding Windagetrays survey as to changes that I have done to correct or minimize "engineering" flaws in the Spyders. As all surveys are opinions, I can only reply that my changing tires meet the stated requirements for being "out" as to changing the bike for the better. I don't blame the engineers or the bean counters for that change, only my desire for a better tire to meet my desires for a long lasting, smooth rolling higher quality tire. (quality being my view of what I require). Would I like the oil change serviceability to be easier? Sure, on this and several other vehicles I have owned, but I have only bought some aftermarket plugs due to peer advice. I think a more objective measure of satisfaction with the CanAm product would be how many Miles of Smiles I have on the Spyder vs other wind therapy toys. If I can remember, that tally is about 15,000 miles on the Yamaha (5 years), 40,000 on the Honda (5 years), 20,000 miles on the HD, (2 years), and 25,000 mi on the Spyders, (1 1/2 years). I have also enjoyed my wifes 110,000 miles on Spyders (4 years), since what makes her happy, makes me happy!
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default A little Jadded I Would Say

But to be honest I will respectfully say that I am IN! on all accounts. The one thing we did was add the sway bar and my wife did that as a birthday present to me. I loved the ryde before and felt an improvement after. We are up to 37000 on our 13 RTL. First Kenda rear lasted 12000 plus. Second lasted 13000 plus and the fronts lasted 26000. We ryde agressively and have never had a failure of any system. Other than routine maintenance the motorcycle has never been in the shop accept to do a recall and that was done when we needed an oil change. Sorry if you have not had the same experience. Also according to the majority or our 100+ Ryding club their experiences have been the same as mine. Then we all get them serviced at the same dealer! Hmmmmmmmmm........Guess it pays to be in Good Hands!!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I had almost 10,000 miles on my 2015 RTL and loved it. I then added a sway bar because that is what a lot of people recommended, not because I was unhappy with the ride, and yes there was a difference in the ride in the corners. I now have over 18,000 miles.
    I didn't add the sway bar because I was unhappy with what I had, I added it because I was told it would make it better.

The same reason I added the slotted and drilled rotors to my Lexus RX, not because something was bad, but I wanted a little better.

Having to customize your machine to make it better fit your style of riding, or your taste in handling is not a strike against the manufacture of the machine. After all, not everyone may like the way your bike rides or handles, they may like something totally different. I am looking for a soft smooth ride, not a stiff ride that I can scream around corners faster than everyone else ride. Going fast around corners is what a lot of others want and they don't care about the smoothness of the ride.

I love the fact the the Spyder allows customization and that there is getting to be more and more parts available to do so.

I have added a seat, trailer hitch, sway bar, lots of lights, backrest, and highway pegs so far. Not because I thought something was lacking, but to make my Spyder my own.
    Last edited by Fatcycledaddy; 11-16-2016 at 10:44 AM.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

I didnt say I was pleased with the life of the Kenda. I said I got exactly what I expected out of it. I got 9k miles out of it and I believe that I ride Cocaine as hard on the twisties as an RT can be ridden.
    I am not sure what problems you are having with your Spyder that caused you to post this "fishing for negativity" survey, but I love my bike. I have 22k miles on the two RT's I have owned and I have nothing but good things to say about them.

Current Ride
    2015 RT-S SM6 Cocaine
    Pearl White
    Diamond R Web Armrests
    Shorty Windshield

Previous Ride
    2012 RT SM5 The Beast
    Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

Default Impromptu Unscientific Satisfaction Survey

I'm just curious to know....

So, I am interested to know how many folks out there who own any year of the Spyder RT model who have:
    1.- NEVER installed any upgrade to their machine for the purpose of upgrading an engineering failure or inferior quality part.

NOR

2.- never felt that any “consumable” items such as tires, brakes, light bulbs, switches, windshield brackets, electronics, speakers, heaters, air bag, compressor, air hoses/connectors, etc. didn’t last as long as you realistically thought it should.

NOR

3. Never had to have their machine towed for reasons that were not your fault. (If you forgot to check your oil, and you had to be towed but you aren’t disqualified by other qualifiers in this post please let us know. Just don’t mention you ran it low on oil!!)

If you added the bump skid because your machine scraped ground in inordinate amount, you’re out. Don’t comment. If you added a (anti-) sway bar because the front end was too sloppy and the bike leaned too much, you’re out. If you added the front shock pre-tensioners, you’re out. If you added the airbag rock guard, you’re out…no commenting. Unless you were truly “tickled to death” that your rear tire lasted 6K or 7K miles before the center was wore to the wear bars, you are out. If you got a special “laser alignment” because the original BRP alignment guidelines used before vehicle delivery wasn’t correct, you’re out! You get the picture….
    If you added a cup holder and/or after-market GPS, or GoPro camera, or painted/wrapped your bike but nothing used to make up for engineering deficiencies in the safe operation of your Spyder ….you’re IN!

I understand that many of my disqualifiers range in severity from annoyances to "your bike is in the shop and you aren't riding it for an extended period of time". I know that in general, the pleasure of getting to ride one of these cool (LOOKING) machines out-weighs some of the issues with which they arrive at your door. BUT, my bet is that there are not many folks who can truly and honestly fit the above parameters
    So like WOW! From what i gather you are asking if there are any stock RT's
    Still in possession by original owners. (Special edition or otherwise)As if any manufacturer could produce a vehicle that actually meets & exceed the customers satisfaction with just stock equipment & performance?

Correct??

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

The only people who are still "in" on your survey likely don't ever ride. There are some of them out there but who really cares about people that buy Spyders then let them collect dust in their garages? I don't.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate looks at -- View Post
    But to be honest I will respectfully say that I am IN! on all accounts. The one thing we did was add the sway bar and my wife did that as a birthday present to me. I loved the ryde before and felt an improvement after. We are up to 37000 on our 13 RTL. First Kenda rear lasted 12000 plus. Second lasted 13000 plus and the fronts lasted 26000. We ryde agressively and have never had a failure of any system. Other than routine maintenance the motorcycle has never been in the shop accept to do a recall and that was done when we needed an oil change. Sorry if you have not had the same experience. Also according to the majority or our 100+ Ryding club their experiences have been the same as mine. Then we all get them serviced at the same dealer! Hmmmmmmmmm........Guess it pays to be in Good Hands!!
    I think you're out. Didn't we laser align your Spyder at NorCal?

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    The only people who are still "in" on your survey likely don't ever ride. There are some of them out there but who really cares about people that buy Spyders then let them collect dust in their garages? I don't.
    Perhaps he's phishing for a list of really good bikes, with almost no miles on them: for speculative purposes?
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 11-16-2016 at 03:22 PM.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This one is giving me a head ache.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    I ride year round Ann, so I am in on the "survey" but out on your assumption.

Current Ride
    2015 RT-S SM6 Cocaine
    Pearl White
    Diamond R Web Armrests
    Shorty Windshield

Previous Ride
    2012 RT SM5 The Beast
    Pure Magnesium Metallic