Spyder Garage

Default motorcycle safety foundation course

I tried to enroll in the ERC (experienced rider course) and was told no 3 wheelers are allowed at this time. I don't know if that goes for the BRC (basic rider course). I know someone here took one of the MSF courses using his spyder. I'm wondering if it is a state thing.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    I tried to enroll in the ERC (experienced rider course) and was told no 3 wheelers are allowed at this time. I don't know if that goes for the BRC (basic rider course). I know someone here took one of the MSF courses using his spyder. I'm wondering if it is a state thing.
    I was told originally i could use the spyder to take the BRC but when i got there to take it they told me otherwise. The ERC is available at certain locations on 3 wheels but none in my area. It requires a larger course from what i hear for them to accomedate a Trike style. I really wish someone would offer it as I would like to take the course for the insurance discount but can't take it on the buell's they supply.
    Happy SE5 Owner!!!

Silver/Black SE5 - Trunk Liner, 1" riser, 12v, Kuryakyn ISO Grips, 5" Kewlmetal Pullback Bars, Kewlmetal Console, Zumo 450, Ipod, Kewlmetal Highway brackets with Wing pegs, Triple Play, Wizard Light LED's, Corbin front/rear saddle with Backrest, Nelson Rigg CL950 Saddlebags with CL800 Tote Bag, CalSci Medium Windshield.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    An instructor told me the official MSF policy is "no three wheelers." Too many confusing differences. They are supposedly developing a course. If someone snuck into a course somewhere, it was either something other than MSF, or at the instructor's discretion and risk, since the MSF would not be happy.
    -Scotty

Spyder Garage

I think the thread you are talking about was by one of the guys in NW Arkansas and if I remember correctly he was taking the regular basic rider course. He was then allowed to try out his spyder on the course during a break. Sorry I forgot there user name.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by madozier View Post
    I think the thread you are talking about was by one of the guys in NW Arkansas and if I remember correctly he was taking the regular basic rider course. He was then allowed to try out his spyder on the course during a break. Sorry I forgot there user name.
    I remember now. You are right.

Spyder Garage

When I took my MSF course last summer(pre Spyder) I was told that they were seriously thinking about it for all 3 wheelers ( front and back) given their increasing popularity....
    However if u think about it that would take a specific specialized course after the two wheeler course...the turning, minimum controllable "blue box" maneuver , among others would need to be redefined and scoped. Most feasible transition for this would be for them to give it as an added proficiency course after you have your " M" endorsement on your license .

I for one would love to see them do it and have already asked them .. "No current plans for this season" was the reply...

Northramp

Spyder Garage

I spoke with the guys in charge of the courses in PA and WV. They say that there is a course being developed but that, even then, it will still require an in-depth curriculum review before they will implement it. The biggest problem with using 3-wheelers in the current course is that all of the course layouts are designed for 2-wheelers and they don't know how to adjust distances for something like a Spyder.

Even the 2-wheelers can't use their own bikes in the MSF course. They must use one of theirs.

I am an MSF dropout. Perfect score on the written test and was doing okay on the range until my 65-year old brain had to deal with clutch, shift lever, front brake, and rear brake simultaneously. It short-circuited!!

WV now has a 3-wheel license. As I understand it, for the driving test, you would take the Spyder on the road while they follow in/on another vehicle. I will know more when I go to DMV. I expect I'll have no problem since that short-circuited brain only has to deal with a foot brake.
    In order to find his equal, an Irishman is forced to talk to God. God looked down upon Ireland and said "Damn, I'm good!"

2009 POW*MIA SE5

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by irish2themax View Post
    I spoke with the guys in charge of the courses in PA and WV. They say that there is a course being developed but that, even then, it will still require an in-depth curriculum review before they will implement it. The biggest problem with using 3-wheelers in the current course is that all of the course layouts are designed for 2-wheelers and they don't know how to adjust distances for something like a Spyder.

Even the 2-wheelers can't use their own bikes in the MSF course. They must use one of theirs.

I am an MSF dropout. Perfect score on the written test and was doing okay on the range until my 65-year old brain had to deal with clutch, shift lever, front brake, and rear brake simultaneously. It short-circuited!!

WV now has a 3-wheel license. As I understand it, for the driving test, you would take the Spyder on the road while they follow in/on another vehicle. I will know more when I go to DMV. I expect I'll have no problem since that short-circuited brain only has to deal with a foot brake.
    I spoke with a person at DMV regarding 3-wheelers and was told the only exceptions from testing on a 2 wheeler would be in case of a person with a handicap who was unable to use 2 wheels. She did not say what the test modifications would be but she did say that the test would only be available at DMV, not through the safety course. I managed to survive Motorcycle Boot camp, Irish, so I know exactly where you short-ciruited!!! I had a few sparks flying about as well!

Very Active Member GaryTheBadger's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

That was me in NW Arkansas, I took the basic MSF course with my wife, as she just got a new Yamaha 950 and hasn't ridden for twenty years, had let her motorcycle endorsement expire.

During lunch, they let me go crazy on the course by myself with the Spyder and I'm glad I did, learned the electronic limits of the Spyder, feel much more comfortable on the road now.

The basic MSF course here provides Buell bikes for the students, so the Spyder wasn't an issue. I still learned alot about defensive driving and the law and safe clothing, etc, etc.
    Enjoying now: 2015 Spyder F3 SE6, 1970 Indian MM-5A, 1972 Suzuki RV90J Rover, 2017 Indian Chieftain (wife's)
    Wish-I-had-kept-them: 2008 Spyder GS SE-5, 1967 Shelby GT500 w/Paxton supercharger, 1972 DeTomaso Pantera, 1991, 1992 & 2001 Acura NSX's, 2012 V-Star 950 Tourer, various 2-, 3- and 4-wheelers
    2015 F3 SE6 , White - The fastest color!

Spyder Garage

Talking Motorcyle safety foundation class

I too am a MSF class challenged individual! I took it two years ago with my husband in Nebraska. It was my idea that we get a motorcyle and to take the course. He passed written and range with flying colors, I passed written 100% but was 'shifting illiterate'! I never dropped the bike, but I pulled off some 'evil knievel' moves where I didn't hit anyone or anything but I do feel they should have given me extra credit for at least knowing how to get things back under control! No such luck! We had purchased an 07 HD Ultra Classic and were riding two up, but I didn't like the instability of riding a two wheeler. Neither my husband or I had riding experience other than his riding farm bikes when he was younger. So we triked out the HD with a motortrike kit...really nice, VERY stable and loads of fun to ride together on. Because it is such a large trike and is more a a fit for my husband who is 6'1" and 240 (I am 5' and about 130) it was difficult for me to handle the trike. Plus I had to coordinate shifting gears again. So I was resigned to being the passenger, but it alwasy bugged the living hell out of me that I didn't pass that MSF course. I got my learners permit and finally got up the nerve to sign up for the HD women's only course this May. After I signed up I was looking at the Piaggio bikes but seat height was too high for my short little legs. I checked out the Spyder at the same dealer in Omaha, NE and we went back a week later and test drove the automatic and I was like, "YES!!! Finally, something I can ride!!!" Paid for it then and there and picked it up last week. Rode for the very first time ALONE last Friday with husband riding the HD trike behind me...it was wonderful~!When we got the HD triked out we joined the BTW group (Brothers of the Third Wheel) and they actually are doing trike training at their yearly Trike In. It is open to all types of trikes. If anyone wants more information just let me know and I will post it.